IGNORED

png2cv 0.16 released

PkK

png2cv is a tool that creates ColecoVision characters for bitmap mode from .png images.

0.16 NEWS:
-Fixed help message option text.
-Renamed --monochrome option to --bitmap-text.
-Added --bitmap option.
-Added support for SMS mode 4.
-Fixed RGBA support.

Donwload from: http://colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/png2cv.shtml

The improvements for ColecoVision development are minor, but it is a step towards a unified envrionment for writing ColecoVision / SegaMasterSystem games. The new support for mode 4 is still rather basic. In particular it always assumes the TMS9918A palette.

Philipp

• Like 1

do you have a binary. what are you compiling this using

png2cv is a tool that creates ColecoVision characters for bitmap mode from .png images.

0.16 NEWS:
-Fixed help message option text.
-Renamed --monochrome option to --bitmap-text.
-Added --bitmap option.
-Added support for SMS mode 4.
-Fixed RGBA support.

Donwload from: http://colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/png2cv.shtml

The improvements for ColecoVision development are minor, but it is a step towards a unified envrionment for writing ColecoVision / SegaMasterSystem games. The new support for mode 4 is still rather basic. In particular it always assumes the TMS9918A palette.

Philipp

So in other words, you don't really care if people use your tool or not?

Philipp, there's a difference between a person who uses software and a person who develops software. Forcing people to install SDCC, GCC or whatnot just so they can (eventually) use your software is not only inconsiderate, but downright lazy on your part.

Now get off your @$$ and make Windows and Linux binaries, at the very least. It that's too much trouble for you, find a friend who's equipped to do it for you and then post the binaries on your web site.

• Like 1

I compile using the usual

./configure

make

installation as root via

make install

Philipp

That makes hardly any sense to me. I'm guessing I'll need Linux to compile (and run?), but I don't have a Linux box anymore, besides some Raspberry Pi's that are basically single-purpose... or, what Luc said. ;)

Anything using ./configure basically defeats Windows as user platform because the Cygwin download is so heavy (>1 GB)

It should be easy to compile with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express, it requires a registration page that doesn't exist anymore (but there exists a trick searchable in G ;) )

You need to download also libpng, it should take a matter of one hour to get it working tuning the library nuisances in project file. I would do it, but this month I'm so busy that even one hour is too much for me.

Once installed it would be a matter of minutes to get a new version working from source.

I went ahead and did the Windows port - find attached. Compiled with Visual Studio 2010, libPng 1.5.6 (old) and zlib 1.2.8 (slightly newer). If I did it right, it should run without dependencies (although you may need the Visual Studio runtime). I also included the source adaptations and VS project... it was just a single source file. It appears to work.

The Windows stuff is entirely self-contained inside the "png2cv" folder, with the final binary in the "Release" folder (if you don't care about anything else, that's all you need).

I will selfishly take the opportunity to also remind that I have my own conversion tool, though it doesn't do SMS. It's drag and drop, handles the resize and can read most file formats. My code is Windows-only and not open source though.

http://harmlesslion.com/software/convert9918

And if you just like the style, I have a screensaver based on the same that does a bitmap-style slideshow of all the graphics on your system (also multi-monitor aware). ;) http://www.harmlesslion.com/software/ti99saver

Whichever you like, enjoy!

png2cv-0.16Win.zip

• Like 4