IGNORED

Was there a $50 coupon in the original SNES bundle?

Hey guys,

I'm doing research for the next episode of my show, which is going to cover the launch of the Super Nintendo. According to this article:

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/dsheinem/The-Super-Nintendo-Launch-1485.php

the original SNES bundle came with a coupon for $50 off of a future game purchase. Can anyone confirm this? Even better, does anyone have the coupon?

Thanks!

I don't remember that at all and I sold the system when it was first released. Bought the Super Set the day it arrived in store and it came with Super Mario World - no coupon toward any other games.

And if there ever was a coupon, you'd think they'd want to advertise that on the packaging somewhere. Printed on the box or in the form of a sticker. Certainly can't imagine that being a "silent" promotion. Lots of system boxes around, so if the coupon really did exist, you'd think you'd see evidence of it *somewhere*. Not that Wikipedia is the end all, be all on truth, completeness of facts in general, but a $50 coupon isn't mentioned there either.

-edit-

It's coming back to me now... I remember there was a promotion (not at launch mind you), where you sent away for Super Mario All-Stars ($50 value?) with the purchase of an SNES. That was a coupon deal for sure and when I repurchased the system years later, I took advantage of it:

post-13896-0-58097500-1454702281_thumb.jpg

And if there ever was a coupon, you'd think they'd want to advertise that on the packaging somewhere. Printed on the box or in the form of a sticker. Certainly can't imagine that being a "silent" promotion. Lots of system boxes around, so if the coupon really did exist, you'd think you'd see evidence of it *somewhere*. Not that Wikipedia is the end all, be all on truth, completeness of facts in general, but a $50 coupon isn't mentioned there either.

This was my thought as well. I think the author of that article is mistaken. Thanks for the quick response!

That must have been quite a while after launch. They were $199 (or $219?) for months or a year or more. It took a long time before price war with SEGA.

You could of course find them for cheaper now and then, like with any other product. I got mine for Christmas of 1991 for $179 -- first major thing I bought with my own money.