IGNORED

GAME Collecting Pet Peeves - So Annoying!

Flea market sellers (amateur AND pro) who don't know how to grab real prices off ebay. Happened to me just yesterday. Stumbled across a handful of very common Mega Drive and SMS games in the box, pretty worn and sunbleached, no manuals. Really mediocre stuff. It was obvious that the sellers were just a couple who sold off some stuff from their basement/attic. I was mildly interested in "Wimbledon" for the Mega Drive and asked for a price. Guy turns around and asks his missus "You looked that one up, how much was it?" She says "12 Euro". I didn't even try to haggle.

Of course when this happens, I feel an urge to tell those people that there is a search function called "finished auctions" and "sold items" on ebay. And ffs, LEARN the difference between complete and good condition and an item in a random state of detoriation. But that usually just leads to the sellers getting mad and thinking I want to rip them off. Instead, I turn around immediately, silently mumbling

"You know what? That's a nice bit of room you cleared up in your attic. Have a nice flea market, and then put your overpriced crap back into that very same spot".

• Like 1

International Shipping. I've seen some cool shit in Brazil and other South American countries for Atari 2600 that seem fairly common down there but they are hard to get because they have their own eBay and then when you do get something Customs cuts open sealed boxes just in case terrorists and drug lords hid things in them 30 years ago with the master plan of getting them into the US today.

Edited by Schizophretard
  • Like 1

When you look up a game you love to find it's on some cool platforms you didn't know it was on, only to find out it was a PAL or Japan only release! LOL

For example I found out the original Worms game was on Genesis and SNES....not in the USA unfortunately.

This has happened to me several times now...hopes get all high..and then dashed

When you look up a game you love to find it's on some cool platforms you didn't know it was on, only to find out it was a PAL or Japan only release! LOL

For example I found out the original Worms game was on Genesis and SNES....not in the USA unfortunately.

This has happened to me several times now...hopes get all high..and then dashed

You can play SFC games on an SNES. All you need to do is cut out the plastic tabs on the cart loader since US and Japan share the same lockout chip and North American games are larger anyway.

Genesis is a bit trickier. JP Megadrive games won't fit in a US or PAL slot without modification (but you can use a Genie for pass through), and some games do a region check while others don't. Whether a specific game performs this check or not is a crap shoot, but it is relatively easy to add a region select switch. Some games use dual region ROMs with alternate sets of graphics/text depending on whether your console is set to JP or US.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, came across a new once recently.

Games that are either in weird, hard to replace packaging (Such as 2/3/4 disc games)

Or the cartridge is an odd shape or has a ridge on it, or is huge, and won't fit into standard game storage cases.

But to the first point! There are so many games from the 90's that have 2,3,4 discs and finding DVD cases for them is always a pain in the ass..

But to the first point! There are so many games from the 90's that have 2,3,4 discs and finding DVD cases for them is always a pain in the ass..

http://usplastics.com/search/?q=dvd&view=g&refinements=&skip=30

Love these guys. You don't have to buy in bulk, shipping is reasonable enough (at least it was, it's been awhile). You're still out of luck if you need a 4-disc case or want authentic stuff... but if you just need a home for the discs, it's great. (the green single-disc amarays are 360 green too.)

• Like 1

http://usplastics.com/search/?q=dvd&view=g&refinements=&skip=30

Love these guys. You don't have to buy in bulk, shipping is reasonable enough (at least it was, it's been awhile). You're still out of luck if you need a 4-disc case or want authentic stuff... but if you just need a home for the discs, it's great. (the green single-disc amarays are 360 green too.)

You are the man! Problem solved on the multi-disc front.

Nice. It's especially bad when you get a brand new boxed set of DVD or BluRay and the little hinges that hold the disc trays in place are busted from the get go. I had to return my Hobbit Blu Ray extended edition boxed set to Best Buy because the disc holders were broken in two places. :razz:

Also I find it so ironic that multi-disc CDs or games from the 90s had those oversized jewel cases that held 2, 3, or in some cases 4 CDs. Now when an artist or comp releases a 2 CD set, they are in those jewel cases with the ultra skinny tray for the second disc that takes the same form factor as a standard single CD jewel case. I don't remember the last time I saw a retail package with the oversize jewel case.

Worse, many companies are now opting for various "eco-friendly" CD/DVD/BluRay packages with waxed paper sleeves and no plastic at all apart from the disc media. I fuxxing hate those! :mad:

• Like 1

I hate it when people get releases wrongly dated. The NES was released in 1983 as the Famicom in Japan, and made available in USA as the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in late 85 and in Europe in late 1987. Just because they change the name, and twiddle the hardware a bit it doesn't make it different.

It's like me saying Pac-Man came out in 1982, because it was released on the Atari 2600 that year.

Edited by high voltage

No problem- it took me months of hunting to stumble across those guys, so I like to spread the word when I can. :)

Also I find it so ironic that multi-disc CDs or games from the 90s had those oversized jewel cases that held 2, 3, or in some cases 4 CDs. Now when an artist or comp releases a 2 CD set, they are in those jewel cases with the ultra skinny tray for the second disc that takes the same form factor as a standard single CD jewel case. I don't remember the last time I saw a retail package with the oversize jewel case.

Worse, many companies are now opting for various "eco-friendly" CD/DVD/BluRay packages with waxed paper sleeves and no plastic at all apart from the disc media. I fuxxing hate those! :mad:

It amazes me how much disc packing has shrunk... I've seen cases that put 6 discs into the space of 1 standard 15mm DVD case, without using those awful spindle hubs. It's kind of crazy!

Oh, but on the note of annoying 'eco-friendly' cases... I HATE these things so much!

Eco_Box_dvd_case.jpg

I get the idea- "less plastic waste is better for the planet!" Here's the problem:

1)It's not waste if I'm not going to throw it away. Most people do keep their disc cases!

2)Why are you taking away the plastic from DIRECTLY BEHIND THE DISC?! That's where I want it the most!

These aren't saving anything, they're making it worse... because people like me buy good cases and throw these away whenever possible! I'm still hoping to find proper non-eco cases in Wii U blue so I can upgrade those.

• Like 3

No problem- it took me months of hunting to stumble across those guys, so I like to spread the word when I can. :)

It amazes me how much disc packing has shrunk... I've seen cases that put 6 discs into the space of 1 standard 15mm DVD case, without using those awful spindle hubs. It's kind of crazy!

Oh, but on the note of annoying 'eco-friendly' cases... I HATE these things so much!

Eco_Box_dvd_case.jpg

I get the idea- "less plastic waste is better for the planet!" Here's the problem:

1)It's not waste if I'm not going to throw it away. Most people do keep their disc cases!

2)Why are you taking away the plastic from DIRECTLY BEHIND THE DISC?! That's where I want it the most!

These aren't saving anything, they're making it worse... because people like me buy good cases and throw these away whenever possible! I'm still hoping to find proper non-eco cases in Wii U blue so I can upgrade those.

And not only those, why are there recycle symbol when the plastic it's made from isn't accepted in most places? I've had many of those eco-friendly case arrive broken (usually spindle breaks) and I've had to replace it with real case. The only real saving I see are the companies' bottom line. Cheaper case, light weight = cheaper to ship, let the end customer deal with broken case. If only everyone returned DVD due to cracked case, they'd start losing too much money and be forced to go back to better quality cases.

• Like 1

That's the very reason I give each DVD or CD I buy (I know, what a dinosaur I am) a nice shake to see if the disc is flopping around in there, with broken spindles. I ordered the last few seasons of The Incredible Hulk on DVD and each season of SIX discs fit into ONE regularly sized case. I shit you not. The first two seasons I had, bought in the late 00s, each was a unique case with proper storage. I guess it's not so bad, saving me some space in my cabinet, but six discs in one case...just crazy.

stickers, or worse, WRIGHTING on labels. WTF?!!? Unless it's a game I absolutely can't find anywhere else, this is an auto "no buy" for me.

Scratched CD games. I can see not having the original case (especially the longbox, early PSX and earlier CD based games) as they are prone to self destruct with the slightest of looks. But come on, getting replacement CD cases or DVD cases are cheap as hell. Take care of your games, CD's last damn near forever with minimal care.

Clamshell games missing the case. Lots of original Master System, Gemesis, and more modern games like PSP or DS all come in hard clamshells. I know some people don't like them, but they will keep your carts (or discs) in the best possible protection. I do understand the multi game clamshells that hold X multiple games, I use those, but I still have all the original cases that go with my games.

• Stickers
  • Markers (idiots writing their prices on the carts)
  • Ridiculous prices

About 15 years ago at a flea market, there was this woman with a big brown box of NES cartridges. She was asking for $60 for Metal Gear (yes, just Metal Gear). I obviously chose not to buy it there and got it for $5 at a local video game store (some of their carts had their prices written in black permanent marker on the cart's label sticker).