IGNORED

Portable atari

maxdrive

They already made portable Genesis clones with SD card slot for ROMs. It should be easy to make portable 2600 clone with SD support. Hi-res graphic mode for company logo and game logo plus menu. Then switch to classic low res after selecting built in game or game off SD card. Maybe a standard 9 pin port for second player if they are using TV-out feature.

Pitfall 2 for example is the only one with extra chip for sound feature. Some games like Quadran also used extra hardware for speech although those extra should be easy to implement because there's so few oddball 2600 games and coding behavior rules for extra hardware and funky bankswitchers won't take up much of the main ROM space for the main CPU chip that handles 2600 emulation.

EDIT forgot Activision still owns the game and they probably won't let them be included in competitor's system so AtGames may not bother to include Pitfall 2 sound support.

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 1

Dunno. But if you're going that far so as to include cartridge capability that would then imply a long-life is necessary. And that means more premium components. Higher cost. Might as well just build a repro of the original console.

The sega genisis at games system has a slot and they are not much more then a flashback

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A portable Atari doesn't seem as practical to me as many other systems. Others have controllers that could already transition well to portable like with D-pads for an example. That is much different than joysticks and paddles.

Haven't you ever played your 2600 with a SEGA Genesis controller? It works surprisingly well for joystick games, so I think a D-pad or thumb-stick set up would work. I don't know what they would do for paddle games though.

I would buy a portable 2600 though.

Haven't you ever played your 2600 with a SEGA Genesis controller? It works surprisingly well for joystick games, so I think a D-pad or thumb-stick set up would work. I don't know what they would do for paddle games though.

I would buy a portable 2600 though.

Yes but haven't had as much of success as I have with a good quality joystick. Atari games have more of a quick moving of the wrist type of joystick design to them instead of a slower thumb pressed D-pad design. Playing Atari games with a D-pad feels as off as playing paddle games with a D-pad.