IGNORED

Confessions from my Intellidore Illusion

Guest LiqMat

Dear friends of the Intellivision Brotherhood from which I do not claim membership or loyalty. I must confess a great deception I brought upon myself.

It is what I call the Intellidore Illusion which I fell victim to yesterday in my long travels as some have before me. I came upon a guild that had many treasures, but nothing so rare as to cause the butterflies to swarm in my digestive region. I then came across a chest full of semi-rare oddities and this is where I stumbled down the spiral staircase of delusion. I eyed a Coleco Zenji cart and next to it lay what seemed to be an Intellivision Zenji cart and I purchased it immediately without caution thinking "could this be a precious stone of my unknown desires?" Alas, it was not to be and was in fact a Commodore 64 cart and after one of your royal guild members set my path straight. I am now to return this item and continue my quest. I warn others do not be fooled like I was by its narrow waist and slender physique the Commodore 64 cart is there to deceive us all into thinking an impossible rarity has been found. You there! The more seasoned veterans of the Intellivision Brotherhood, do not think you are so above me as to not make this same mistake. There will be a day where the same temptress will visit you and make you do naughty things with your wallet and only to find out later you have been emptied of your dignity!

Good day my friends and safe travels!

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 3

Oh great sir, the Commodore 64 cartridges tend to be square in borders, nonetheless the devil isn't able to imitate Intellivision diagonal endings.

Activision carts look almost identical on the C64 and Intellivision. Almost. I finally noticed the C64 carts have the Activision logo on the bottom front imprinted in the plastic and the Intellivision has it on the back of the cart shell. It is also my understanding that the Intellivision carts may be a tad longer.

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 1

The Commodore 64 cartridges seem to be about the same size as Intellivision cartridges. And Activision labels do not say what system the game is for on their cartridges. This lot on ebay of Intellivision cartridges has a few Commodore 64 cartridges (courtesy of JasonLikesINTV).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331777059036?rmvSB=true

The Commodore 64 cartridges seem to be about the same size as Intellivision cartridges. And Activision labels do not say what system the game is for on their cartridges. This lot on ebay of Intellivision cartridges has a few Commodore 64 cartridges (courtesy of JasonLikesINTV).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331777059036?rmvSB=true

Exactly. The C64 carts are a tad thicker as well so they wont quite fit the Intellivision slot, but they are very close. The guy that sold me the Zenji cart also thought it was an Intellivision rarity. It was such a letdown, but from what I have read there is a rumored one copy only Zenji prototype cart for the Intellivision, but the chances of that ever showing up is pretty close to zero if it exists.

I found a guide on eBay, of all places:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Classic-Video-Game-Cart-Guide-which-is-which-Atari-Coleco-InTV-/10000000177726644/g.html

A related thread on Lemon64, from the other perspective:

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31291

It strikes me that I've got a couple of Activision carts for the C64 with the supposedly Intellivision artwork. I never considered them to be anything else than regular C64 cartridges, but perhaps I should research what is what.

Edited by carlsson

I found a guide on eBay, of all places:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Classic-Video-Game-Cart-Guide-which-is-which-Atari-Coleco-InTV-/10000000177726644/g.html

A related thread on Lemon64, from the other perspective:

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31291

It strikes me that I've got a couple of Activision carts for the C64 with the supposedly Intellivision artwork. I never considered them to be anything else than regular C64 cartridges, but perhaps I should research what is what.

The Lemon64 link was interesting and as mr_me pointed out the labels don't say what system. To add insult to injury the cart says in small print under the Activision logo "Audio/Visual Concept Label and Program" which I had never noticed before and made it sound even more like a prototype (that text is on almost all Activision carts). It was a comedy of errors on my part that led to this, but at least I got my money back on the cart and the seller was enlightened as well. I paid 25 bucks for the loose C64 cart and found out later factory sealed copies of C64 Zenji go for as low as 15. It is amazing, even after years of this hobby, the huge differences on price between platforms. I sold a Zenji loose cart for the Colecovision for 40.

Edited by LiqMat

Is the IntelliDore Illusion some sort of new console?

If so, can we please have a super-exciting countdown & celebration of the opportunity to give you money to the StarterKicks?

I'd buy it.