IGNORED

Modded my Sega Control Stick to a new type of Atari 2600/7800 controller

ave1

I wanted to share a tutorial on making an effective Atari 2600/7800 controller out of a Sega Master System joystick. There's some Desert Falcon and Jr. Pac-Man gameplay to demonstrate the accuracy you can expect out of the modded joystick. Hope some of you can benefit from this:

I found this to be an interesting video indeed. I used the Master system controller once, years ago. I too didn't like the big boxy handle on top, so I totally see where some people would love this mod. I never have liked the Atari 7800 controller either. I find it awkward to hold, especially since I have larger hands. I tend to use a Sega Genesis controller when I play my 7800. I would love to have one of the European D-pad style controllers. Why they weren't standard in the US version of the 7800, I will never know (maybe they had stock they needed to get rid of.) It was competing against the NES after all.

As a side note, since you tinker around with controllers and mention it... have you ever been inside one of those Wico Command sticks? I have one that was completely broken. The way they work is with a rubber mat fitted over the handle of the stick. Prsumably, as the controller moves, the robber flexes back, giving that "spring back" feel. Over time, the rubber gets brittle and breaks. I attempted to repair it with rubber Washers cut to size and glued together. The controller works a bit better but it doesn't have the feel of one in good repair. Have you any thoughts on this?

Edited by Lendorien

I found this to be an interesting video indeed. I used the Master system controller once, years ago. I too didn't like the big boxy handle on top, so I totally see where some people would love this mod. I never have liked the Atari 7800 controller either. I find it awkward to hold, especially since I have larger hands. I tend to use a Sega Genesis controller when I play my 7800. I would love to have one of the European D-pad style controllers. Why they weren't standard in the US version of the 7800, I will never know (maybe they had stock they needed to get rid of.) It was competing against the NES after all.

As a side note, since you tinker around with controllers and mention it... have you ever been inside one of those Wico Command sticks? I have one that was completely broken. The way they work is with a rubber mat fitted over the handle of the stick. Prsumably, as the controller moves, the robber flexes back, giving that "spring back" feel. Over time, the rubber gets brittle and breaks. I attempted to repair it with rubber Washers cut to size and glued together. The controller works a bit better but it doesn't have the feel of one in good repair. Have you any thoughts on this?

I have opened up a Wico Bat Handle a long time ago to see if I could improve the connection of the leaf contacts, but I'm not remembering seeing rubber mesh. It's possible the Bat-Handle could be quite different from the Command Control (or maybe I'm just misremembering since it's been so long). I'll see if I can open mine up to see if there's any rubber mesh sometime today and get back to you.

I have opened up a Wico Bat Handle a long time ago to see if I could improve the connection of the leaf contacts, but I'm not remembering seeing rubber mesh. It's possible the Bat-Handle could be quite different from the Command Control (or maybe I'm just misremembering since it's been so long). I'll see if I can open mine up to see if there's any rubber mesh sometime today and get back to you.

https://youtu.be/iFX4f83dC1Q

I uploaded a video to show you what I did.

Okay I opened my Wico Command Control joystick and took a couple of pictures. It appears there is a metallic ring (spring possibly) at the inside base of the stick (the white disk is kinda covering your view of it). Check out the pics. Did yours come with a shiny metallic component?

I may not want to take mine apart further than I have because I could end up ruining it...

post-34064-0-59890100-1455854080_thumb.jpg

post-34064-0-58251500-1455854102_thumb.jpg

Edited by ave1

Okay I opened my Wico Command Control joystick and took a couple of pictures. It appears there is a metallic ring (spring possibly) at the inside base of the stick (the white disk is kinda covering your view of it). Check out the pics. Did yours come with a shiny metallic component?

I may not want to take mine apart further than I have because I could end up ruining it...

To get it open, you have to pull off the white disc (it pulls off, trust me) and then remove that metal lock washer hiding below it. It holds the joystick assembly together and keeps the stick from sliding out of the base (maybe that is the shiny metal thing you mention). Inside the Grey box is where the rubber gasket is.

I don't blame you for not wanting to open it. The only reason I did was because it was broken. The stick was loose and wouldn't recenter.

Originally, the square metal ring and metal tube you see in the video were all cemented together with a flexible rubber. With use and age making the rubber brittle, the center tube broke away from the rest of the rubber.

The rubber washers I used are cut to fit into the octagonal shspe of the grey box to keep them in place. The metal tube is thus kept in the the center. It works and the feel is better than it was, but not nearly as tight as the original.

I wonder if on could use some sort of Silicon caulk or something to recreate the original rubber assembly. I may have to try that if I can figure out a good way.

I wish I had a picture of what it looked like before I removed all the rubber.

If you like I can do a teardown video for you to show you how it goes together.

Edited by Lendorien