MIKE5200

which 5200 model do you own?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. which 5200 model do you own?

• 2 Port System
    • 4 Port System
    • Both

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have two 2 ports, and a 4 port model. The 4 port has not been plugged in for probably 20+ years. I did find the av switch/power box I thought had gone missing though. I have one perfect 2 port, and a 2 port that eats power supplies if you even plug one in to it... No blasted idea what's going on there? Have been in it, and a resistor looks to have been blown off the board, but that is it to an untrained eye. My one remaining controller works when it wants to, the old eraser to the contacts usually persuades it to work for a while. Looks like I finally need to order all the new innards from Best.

Got both. Got the four port first in the mid 90's when I started getting on the internet and learned there was something between the 2600 and the Jaguar. Got quiet a few games too from the local store that was going out of business. I later got a two port, wasn't looking for one, but found it at a flea market with a few games for $20 a couple years after I bought the four port.

I prefer the four port, it does indeed have a cleaner picture. I think people are just afraid of the sparky switchbox, or maybe they are often missing, I bought mine new, so I don't know. But I've never had problems with it, so it's fine for me.

• Like 1

I now also own a 4-port 5200 with the A/V/Power mod on it, where it all plugs into the console itself, I also got myself a new INSIGNIA 39" 720p HDTV to go with it, this setup now allows me to set the rack I keep all of my 5200 gear further back than when I had the CRT-based 1990s Trinitron on it. I also set up the screen display to "wide" format otherwise the left and right sides are black. No static Interference, no buzzing, and no more TV switch box, period!!!

• 2 months later...

Just acquired a well used 4 port with 4 controllers and about 20 games, all but Soccer work (no loss there I understand). I just completed the power mod and AV/S-video is next.

SInce I didn't see a better place to introduce myself (first post!);

This is my first Atari console. By the time I was born in '84 my dad had long sold the 2600 and traded up for a colecovision. The coleco was soon given away to my dad's friend, and it wasn't until '89 that we had another console (NES) in the house. I have since reacquired that very same coleco and will be restoring it too!

As a kid the NES, Genesis, and PC/DOS were my main gaming platforms before Saturn/N64/PS/WIN95 era. 8-bit and 16-bit games have always been my favorite, so I am excited to experience these pre-crash consoles.

Thanks for helping keeps these consoles alive with all the info on this forum!

del

Edited by deltronik

Four-port asterisk model for me, too! I (finally!) just finished upgrading it with a power and A/V mod. I'm using a third-party power supply which is much smaller than the Atari original, and this A/V cable from Console5:

nin-av-svideo-cable-2.jpg

It's a perfect drop-in replacement for the Atari RF cable; it's a decent length and is even (approximately) the same diameter, so it fits nicely into the original cable guides. The Nintendo connector on the end is fairly easy to break open, and the contacts inside can be pulled out and crimped onto the wires for the A/V mod inside the console. Best of all, it didn't require any drilling in the case to mount the A/V plugs, which is something I very much wanted to avoid. I also have a short female power cable mounted through one of the original square holes in the back for the power supply, so again, no drilling required!

• Like 2