IGNORED

Sock-et to me!

GlowingGhoul

Got my hands on some excellent desoldering / soldering gear - a new Pace desoldering vacuum station and some high end Weller soldering equipment.

And now want to play with it.

Before I go nuts and put everything into machine or Textool ZIF sockets , what, besides the ram is reasonable to socket on 600XL's and 130XE's?

Edited by GlowingGhoul

Got my hands on some excellent desoldering / soldering gear - a new Pace desoldering vacuum station and some high end Weller soldering equipment.

And now want to play with it.

Before I go nuts and put everything into machine or Textool ZIF sockets , what, besides the ram is reasonable to socket on 600XL's and 130XE's?

Desoldering tool? If your live in the Seattle area, you are my new best buddy. ?

• Like 1

600XL's are usually all socketed - you should be good there. 130XE's need everything redone if you want to be safe and future-proof. Though as Kyle points out, a U1MB is pretty awesome as well. Mine's currently in an 800XL.

Now, if you wanna pull the three main IC's on my troublesome Rev 16 2600 "Vader" machine so I can solder in new sockets, you'd be my hero, lol!

Risk vs benefit - these machines are old too so there's chance of lifting traces or otherwise damaging the board during solder work.

I'd probably leave it at Ram, CPU, custom chips including MMU, OS, Basic, Delay Line, and 600XL the 74LS ICs that are involved in the 64K expansion mod.

All up that'd be about a dozen ICs plus however many Rams are present on an XL.

Risk vs benefit - these machines are old too so there's chance of lifting traces or otherwise damaging the board during solder work.

I'd probably leave it at Ram, CPU, custom chips including MMU, OS, Basic, Delay Line, and 600XL the 74LS ICs that are involved in the 64K expansion mod.

All up that'd be about a dozen ICs plus however many Rams are present on an XL.

As long as his heat ain't too high, do you think it's riskly with a desoldering tool? Those things take off solder very easy and gently.

Some of the XE boards are complete crap. I once tried to remove a faulty power switch from a 130XE with a 15 watt iron and solder pump and the thick traces peeled right off. I only have one of those boards (very deep, matte green) and it went straight on the spares pile. Other boards are fine and quite robust, but it all depends on confidence and skill levels.

• Like 1