48 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Falling in love with River Raid
    • Buying a 1064 to fall in love with Blue Max
    • Selling Blue Max because it can`t be played on my standard 600XL
    • Selling my 600XL because he can`t play Blue Max
    • Going out and getting a life..

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

And don't bomb your own hangers, unless you want some Display List craziness.

(And from my misspent youth, Blue Max must be played on a 48K 800, booted off an 810 drive. Otherwise it's not real.)

Was this an intended feature or a bug? I remember the first time I did it.

Why not go with the internal chip upgrade ? The 1064 is clunky and impractical and it hurts the nice compact shape of 600XL (which is why its my favorite machine).

I'll admit that I have another 600XL with a 1064 for sentimental values, since that was the set up I had for quite a while. I found it tossed in a stack of electronics stuff which was ready for our annual junk sale. The 1064 was still firmly connected to the 600. I powered it up and it ran 100% right away, much unlike the boxed C64 which looked like new in the same stack of stuff ;););)

Blue Max rocks. I still like RR though but you can't play it as long.....I never understood why Activision was so lazy with their conversions and almost copied their graphics from the 2600......

Hi Mister-VCS

I think the 600XL lacks of the chroma/luma monitor output, that's the best output you can get out of a XL computer. The 800XL has it.

I use it with my Commodore 1701 monitor, and it looks great.

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

• 6 months later...

Hi Mister-VCS

I think the 600XL lacks of the chroma/luma monitor output, that's the best output you can get out of a XL computer. The 800XL has it.

I use it with my Commodore 1701 monitor, and it looks great.

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

The german 600XL has the monitor output.

ok - the poll isn't very helpful - i have to decide by myself....

why is the picture quality of the XL-line so poor? River Raid is ok, but on Robotron and Pac-Man it is very hard to read your own score!

If you are judging the picture quality of the entire XL line from a 600XL with only RF output, then you are misjudging. Although some Atari 8-bit's have better video than others.

I voted for you to get the 1064 (or an internal 64K upgrade is fine). But if you think the RF video on the 600XL isn't good enough, then sell it and get an 800XL or 65XE or 130XE and get your 64K or better machine, that can play Blue Max, with better composite or chroma/luma (S-video) video output.

Blue max is classic 8bit, think I reviewed it for Atari User (mind you it had been in the UK American wise for a LONNNG time before), ok it was a cheaper Zaxxon but it had style and class and extremely playable with the all important 'just one more go factor'. People who like it should have a play of Panther, not strictly exactly the same but its also great fun.

@Gunstar....Damn, every time I look at your avatar I just want to go and pull out the 25th edition DVD of The Last Starfighter, I love the film but the 25th dvd has so many gems about the making of it, for the full nerd its a real blast :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

ok - the poll isn't very helpful - i have to decide by myself....

why is the picture quality of the XL-line so poor? River Raid is ok, but on Robotron and Pac-Man it is very hard to read your own score!

Are you using RF,I use composite and its fine.With a lead I made from this video.. If the person who made the video is a member here I thank you..:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwomI7iGD3w

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

Blue max is classic 8bit, think I reviewed it for Atari User (mind you it had been in the UK American wise for a LONNNG time before), ok it was a cheaper Zaxxon but it had style and class and extremely playable with the all important 'just one more go factor'. People who like it should have a play of Panther, not strictly exactly the same but its also great fun.

@Gunstar....Damn, every time I look at your avatar I just want to go and pull out the 25th edition DVD of The Last Starfighter, I love the film but the 25th dvd has so many gems about the making of it, for the full nerd its a real blast :)

Thanks, yeah, I have the 25th edition too. My member name has always been in honor to TLS Gunstar, but I added the Avatar pic a couple years ago because people actually thought my member name was from the Gunstar Heroes, and I loath that Japanese crap, so I had to make sure people KNOW that's not what my name is in reference too!

Edited by Gunstar