IGNORED

How Many 2600's Do You Own

hizzy

Hi!

I recently got my first 4 switch woody, or I should say my first 2600 since I had one when I was a kid. I was wondering - do people here have more than one 2600? There are a few different models - do most try to collect one of each? Do you have more than one of the same model? Do you have a 2600 that you keep aside, just in case your main one breaks? I know it's common to have doubles of games, but is it common to have doubles of systems?

Thanks!

h

I have three:

Atari VCS CX-2600 P "light 6-switch " Made in Hong Kong

Atari VCS CX-2600AP "vader 4-switch" Made in Ireland (my "gaming-console")

Atari 2600 Junior PAL "long rainbow"" Made in China" from 1991 (located in my small second residence- to save space)

...and an Atari 7800 PAL ProSystem with "US-short rainbow" top-chase" -sometimes i play 2600 games on it

I pretty much use a 7800 all the time, but I have 2600 consoles too. Prior to the last time I moved, when I had too many boxes, too many hand truck trips, and too big a moving van, I'd pretty much grab any console I found at a "really good deal", eg. less than $5. I stopped that, but still have ten to twenty complete systems and a couple containers of controllers, power, and miscellaneous attachments and probably some completely useless stuff. I do have a few 7800 backups.

Anyone who is a serious game collector most likely ends up with extra consoles without trying; it's usually cheaper and easier to buy the whole shebang rather than try to pick and choose, because so many sellers just want to unburden themselves.

I used that phenomenon to upgrade to better specimens. My best 2600 (which I never use, but it seems too cool to let go) is a Sears heavy sixer. I also have a Jr because it's so compact and fits in a plastic shoe box with controllers and power so if I ever want to, can easily take it somewhere (though to put a fine point on the ridiculousness of my planning, in at least 20 years, I never have).

To top it off, I've been experimenting with emulation and will most likely eventually settle on that for most, if not all of my gaming once I get it all dialed in, but I probably won't get rid of my 7800, or heavy sixer.

• Like 1

Just one. A light 6-switch woody (Atari brand) that I love and cherish as if it were my very own offspring. I keep it covered when not in use to keep that nasty dust off it. However, I'm hoping to acquire a Darth Vader model as well, some time in the near future (hopefully this year). I had a Darth years back and feel the need to have another. I think the new Star Wars movie had something to do with that urge. :D

• Like 2

1 Sears H6, 1 Atari L6, 3 Atari W4s, 1 Sears W4, 1 Atari V4, 1 Sears VAII, 1 Coleco Gemini, 2 2600Jr. small rainbow, 1 2600Jr. large rainbow. What can I say? I love collecting for the 2600...hardware and all. :)

So 12 at least. I also have a few junk/parts systems, as well as 2600 adapters for the Coleco, 5200, and Intellivision, and a 7800.

Just need an Atari H6 and I think I'll call it a career with collecting 2600 consoles; I can live without a Sears L6, I guess. :P Although a Kee Games case mod of a L6 would be pretty bitchin', too.

• Like 2

1 Sears H6, 1 Atari L6, 3 Atari W4s, 1 Sears W4, 1 Atari V4, 1 Sears VAII, 1 Coleco Gemini, 2 2600Jr. small rainbow, 1 2600Jr. large rainbow. What can I say? I love collecting for the 2600...hardware and all. :)

So 12 at least. I also have a few junk/parts systems, as well as 2600 adapters for the Coleco, 5200, and Intellivision, and a 7800.

Just need an Atari H6 and I think I'll call it a career with collecting 2600 consoles; I can live without a Sears L6, I guess. :P Although a Kee Games case mod of a L6 would be pretty bitchin', too.

I'm very jealous of all the 2600 related stuff you can find in the us :) Here, the story started with the light sixer, which is why this is my first choice, but, well, a heavy one or a sears is so appealing... even a gemini would be nice !

• Like 1

I've only got a 7800 right now. A Jr. is on the way, though, hopefully arriving this week.

After that... well, I'd probably be getting a Vader, and/or a Gemini. I dunno, for some reason, the controller of the Gemini looks kinda cool to me. Not sure how well it plays, but I guess I'll have no way of knowing that until I get my hands on one. I would love to own a Heavy Sixer, but I have such a hard time finding them at good prices. This exchange rate is killing me.

I have six total. Can never have enough 2600's ;)

1977 Sears Tele-Games Heavy Sixer

1456017744980-64317065_zpsqd9nxzlw.jpg?w

Atari Flashback 2 and Flashback 2+ should count. They are real Atari Hardware, from "Atari", and not emulation.

However, technically thay are not an Atari VCS model 2600, but an "Atari Interactive, Inc. Atari Flashback 2+ classic game console."

You can add a cartridge port. (Simple games and normal bank-switch cartridges work, but real cart games with added RAM and complex bank-switching, or games programmed with illegal opcodes don't work due to an unapproved "fix" made that was not in the design, which led to advanced physical cart games failing.)

But then if you count the 7800, Gemini, clones, and system changers...AND emulation in software and FPGA -- I could give you a crazy large number. I enjoy Atari 2600 on iPad, iPhone, PSP, PS2, Raspberry Pi, GCW-Zero, iMac Stella with StellaAdapters,

Atari Flashback 2 and Flashback 2+ should count. They are real Atari Hardware, from "Atari", and not emulation.

However, technically thay are not an Atari VCS model 2600, but an "Atari Interactive, Inc. Atari Flashback 2+ classic game console."

You can add a cartridge port. (Simple games and normal bank-switch cartridges work, but real cart games with added RAM and complex bank-switching, or games programmed with illegal opcodes don't work due to an unapproved "fix" made that was not in the design, which led to advanced physical cart games failing.)

But then if you count the 7800, Gemini, clones, and system changers...AND emulation in software and FPGA -- I could give you a crazy large number. I enjoy Atari 2600 on iPad, iPhone, PSP, PS2, Raspberry Pi, GCW-Zero, iMac Stella with StellaAdapters,

True! I definetley know and have heard about modding the Flashback 2 and 2+ to adding a cartridge slot. I own just the Flashback 2 and none of the others. I do have a 7800. It's the AT84 serial number version with the expansion interface port. I don't have the Coleco Expansion module #1, the 5200 Supersystem VCS adapter (I do intend to wanting to get one of them), and the Gemini. I have a few modded xboxes as well with the z26x emulators. So 6 official VCS consoles plus add a 7800, Flashback 2, and z26x to the mix. :)

14561808708391675806640_zpsmsuy8j84.jpg?

1456180910391-441100403_zpsu8zk50fx.jpg?