IGNORED

Extension cables...

Do those cables fit snugly into the 5200 port?

You really can't tell if those cable have those little grooves that stick out at the end of a stock 5200 controller. Those grooves I'm speaking about are on the very end of a stock 5200 controller cable,which allow extra grip and fit into a 5200 port very firmly.

I have some knockoffs that while they fit,become lose and tend to slip out.

Annoying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390998603659?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

They do work, I've tested them on a real 5200 console :)

They don't have the little locks like the the originals do, but the outside of the male connector on the extension is just flexible enough that the raised tabs on the joystick cable will snug themselves into place and hold the connectors together securely.

On the console end, the extension cable connector is deep enough to fully engage the console pins and fit snugly.

I tried for forever to locate a source of the original style extensions w/ locking tabs. I could find one here and there but there wasn't a decent reliable supply. I was pretty happy when I received these in and found that, while intended for Neo Geo consoles, they worked with the 5200 as well.

They look exactly like the pair that I purchased from Amazon. These cost slightly less when you add in shipping.

Thanks...always nice to have a secondary source.

Can't vouch for the 15 pin, but I bought some 9 pin extensions from them recently to use just one end for a project. Their turnaround time was fine. Ordering process was fine. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

The cables seem slightly stiff when compared to some NOS Atari, but they aren't stiff and plastic-y feeling by any means.

I don't really like how the ends of the pins are squared off instead of tapered. But, I don't know if that will cause any problems and they seemed to plug in fine into several different controllers I had sitting around. Besides, I'm chopping that end off and throwing it in one of my many scrap bins anyway. :)

i bought one long ago it worked fine but then one line wasnt working anymore/ intermittant failure i figured one wire broke in the cable or at the connection to the plug i investigated and after carving it apart i found out it was the construction method

the way mine was built is that the wires all had little crimped on brass pinchy plugs that then plugged into the plug so it and one was not making a good conection to the chromed contacts wich were the backs of the plug at least i had a lenght of 15 conductor cable

when you chop off the end have you disected one to see how the connections are made?

i bought one long ago it worked fine but then one line wasnt working anymore/ intermittant failure i figured one wire broke in the cable or at the connection to the plug i investigated and after carving it apart i found out it was the construction method

the way mine was built is that the wires all had little crimped on brass pinchy plugs that then plugged into the plug so it and one was not making a good conection to the chromed contacts wich were the backs of the plug at least i had a lenght of 15 conductor cable

when you chop off the end have you disected one to see how the connections are made?

No, but the male end is sacrificial for my purposes, I can cut one apart and see what I can see on that end.

I'll do that when I get a chance.

Somewhat understandably, it seems that low end parts are pretty much all that's out there in this arena. I'd give double the price for another pile of those OEM Atari cables I bought years ago (attached to Experimenter boards).

post-12370-0-59084200-1456188528_thumb.jpg

Carefully disassembled with a ball peen hammer and a wood chisel

post-12370-0-04384100-1456188527_thumb.jpg

Softened up the hot glue with brake parts cleaner and freed one pin from the blob.

post-12370-0-58532300-1456188525_thumb.jpg

As macro as I can get with my cell phone.

See the tiny spot of solder?

This end of the cable will probably be okay in the long run if the solder joints are good and the hot melt strain relief fully encapsulates the wire/pin junctions.

No, but the male end is sacrificial for my purposes, I can cut one apart and see what I can see on that end.

I'll do that when I get a chance.

Somewhat understandably, it seems that low end parts are pretty much all that's out there in this arena. I'd give double the price for another pile of those OEM Atari cables I bought years ago (attached to Experimenter boards).

I have high quality db15 cables for sale if you want one. Price $15. Won't work on NeoGeo, but works great on 5200. All 15 wires are present.

Cable has db15 female on one side and bare wire on the other. Cable is ~6 feet

Got some pics, Grips? :)

Sure, however you have the cable already. I also have those NeoGeo cables and between the two, the cable you have is much nicer. The nicer cable is no longer being made any more. I have a few left here.

You can see the cable on the controller in the pic below.

post-27883-0-94600600-1456289322_thumb.jpg

Sure, however you have the cable already. I also have those NeoGeo cables and between the two, the cable you have is much nicer. The nicer cable is no longer being made any more. I have a few left here.

You can see the cable on the controller in the pic below.

Thanks, Grips. I was asking on behalf of others who didn't already have one of your masterpieces in their possession. :)

• 1 year later...