IGNORED

How to Reduce Your Pile of Shame?

Everyone who plays video games has to deal with their own pile of shame. Those are the games you've gotten over the years, but for different reasons have never found the time to play. This situation became more common when digital distribution services (Steam, GOG, XBLA, PSN) started popularizing seasonal sales, but I think this situation also applies to some of you collectors out there. So I came up with that tips and strategies, as well as some resources that might help you overcome your pile of shame or at least make a dent in it. As usual, I'm also interested in what works for you personally, so feel free to share your tips and ideas as well.

10 Tips for Dealing with Your Pile of Shame

post-45416-0-35608600-1456234914_thumb.jpg

It's not a pile of shame- if anything, it's a 'backlog'!

The one time I really specifically tried to cut into my backlog, I wrote the games of all the games I wanted to get through on slips of paper, and stuck them in an old purse I wasn't using. Draw a name, finish game, draw again.

The biggest problem with that was, it turned playing my games into a chore- especially if I drew a title I wasn't feeling 'up to' at the time. I know I finished several games then, but I don't even remember which ones because I wasn't doing it for fun.

The only thing I can think of that might help me right now, is some sort of gaming 'book club' equivalent. You know- "OK everyone, so this month we're playing Final Fantasy 7. Try to be out of Midgar by the 10th if you don't want to hear spoilers!"

• Like 5

I own approximatley 2,000 physical games in my whole collection. And a chock full of emulators stacked with numerous roms on a couple modded xboxes and a Wii. Sure I don't have time to play and accomplish everything. I primarily decide or try to narrow down some of my top favorites and during my free time I will do a marathon of these specific games that I will be in the mood for. And think of another variety that is put on the backburner for another time and vice versa.

• Like 1

In no way, shape, or form would I be ashamed of games I haven't played yet. The whole point of having so many is that I can go and be surprised with something novel whenever I want, and then go back to my favorites again. And I sure don't want to hurry through them just so I can say my to do list is getting checked off.

That's right. It's a pile of PRIDE and I will not be shamed by anyone for having a lot of choice in my leisure time!

There's only so much time and attention in anyone's life, so I've been "backlogged" since 1982. Games are plentiful and cheap, and it should always be this way!

• Like 1

I've had a pile of shame. There's still unopened Intellivision game (crushed box, not worth much) and a bunch of Arcadia carts that I can't play without a console, afew PS2 and GC games that I never got around to playing.

If they aren't worth much, I just let the pile get big and then throw em on eBay. Once in a while I may toss freebie up for grab, lucky winner pays shipping.

If they are worth something, and I am positive I won't play it I'll see if i can sell it. I don't usually bother making a trade list, too much hassle keeping track of where everything is.

A "pile of shame" to me would be a selection of games that you overall regret buying and especially playing.

I keep my pile o' shame to a manageable size by periodic donations to a local thrift shop.

I do occasionally find games that I have utterly no recollection of having purchased, and frequently of a genre that I do not even like (e.g. racing games).