IGNORED

When Mom & Pop Shops Do It Wrong

MotoRacer

Well, I do check the games in glass display. There are dishonest people in the world who would steal SMB or Combat cart because "those stuff is worth a lot on eBay" and hurts the seller.

I do turn nose up at blatant price gouging. LoZ (gold) for $50 for example would make sure I never check back at all.

• Like 1

Went in to one of the retro shops when I first moved to Green Bay, and was hoping to find some Saturn or 2600 games. Had no luck, so went up to the counter and asked, and the guy informed me that they don't carry Atari or Sega stuff because it doesn't sell. They also print their own covers for DS games at times. The games are all spined in a glass case, so its kind of hard to tell at first, and they don't let you know when buying it. Also found out that the owner is involved in tax evasion.

• Like 1

Well, I do check the games in glass display. There are dishonest people in the world who would steal SMB or Combat cart because "those stuff is worth a lot on eBay" and hurts the seller.

I do turn nose up at blatant price gouging. LoZ (gold) for $50 for example would make sure I never check back at all.

You basically made my point. Glass displays means that they know exactly what they have is worth something, which tells me to avoid because I go to flea markets looking for bargains. I'm not looking to pay retail. I can do that from the comfy of my couch.

You basically made my point. Glass displays means that they know exactly what they have is worth something, which tells me to avoid because I go to flea markets looking for bargains. I'm not looking to pay retail. I can do that from the comfy of my couch.

I am looking for a glass display for my yard sale. I live in one the biggest yard sales around and last year I had tons of games I was selling, "below ebay prices of course" and I had tons of kids just mauling over everything. I am pretty sure I had a few people who wanted to steal a few things a couple of times. However what really pissed me off was the one kid dropped one of my games on the paved driveway and cracked the inner case.

The father just start telling how don't touch anything and puts it back on the table like there is nothing wrong with it at all. Yeah like you don't fn know he just cracked the case. He never offered to pay for it or asked me if it was ok. He just left. Like seriously, come on own up at least ask me about it and APOLOGIZE! I didn't care too bad as after I opened it was only the back shell that broke inside but it is NOT the point.

This year I don't want anyone touching anything and I sure as hell do not want little kids picking up 20 games in 2 minutes. So I totally understand glass cases to keep rude people and kids from handling stuff they have zero interest in purchasing.

• Like 1

I am looking for a glass display for my yard sale. I live in one the biggest yard sales around and last year I had tons of games I was selling, "below ebay prices of course" and I had tons of kids just mauling over everything. I am pretty sure I had a few people who wanted to steal a few things a couple of times. However what really pissed me off was the one kid dropped one of my games on the paved driveway and cracked the inner case.

The father just start telling how don't touch anything and puts it back on the table like there is nothing wrong with it at all. Yeah like you don't fn know he just cracked the case. He never offered to pay for it or asked me if it was ok. He just left. Like seriously, come on own up at least ask me about it and APOLOGIZE! I didn't care too bad as after I opened it was only the back shell that broke inside but it is NOT the point.

This year I don't want anyone touching anything and I sure as hell do not want little kids picking up 20 games in 2 minutes. So I totally understand glass cases to keep rude people and kids from handling stuff they have zero interest in purchasing.

I understand the need to for glass cases but unfortunately I avoid them like the plaque. I just have never seen a great deal worthy of me taking a risk on a game with no money back guarantee included.

Edited by thadsilverfox

I understand your concerns, but please make sure that the titles/covers are visible.

I have been in several second-hand/thrift shops where the games in the case are either positioned in the display case in such a manner that it is next to impossible to identify the game (e.g. stacked, with the spine-labels all facing inward), or else there is merchandise piled in front of and on top of the display case, making it impossible to clearly see the contents.

I am reluctant to ask someone to take-out the games just for me to view them (as I may not make a purchase), but at the same time if I cannot actually see the goods, the odds of my buying something drop to zero!

I understand your concerns, but please make sure that the titles/covers are visible.

Yeah, of course. I hate that as well when I can't see something but what I hate more is when I can't see the price. Some of the stuff I have been selling the past few years since I moved here is not your normal yard sale items. Granted I have the normal yard sale stuff as well placed on tables and under a giant canopy for those people looking for $1 items :)

I figure while some people will get pissed that they are not getting an Earthbound for $2 here there are still lots of people who are happy getting a $20 game for $15. I had people last year who came and said they were waiting all day to get to my house lol.

This year I am going to try and have tons of my reproductions out and I am going to really start investing in some more clocks. The 2 I have now sell but at $39.99 plus shipping they don't sell fast. I need to get some easier designs that don't take 20 minutes to cut out and 20 minutes to weed and then another 20 minutes to put the cut-outs on the the clock itself.

I am considering a snes rpg theme but I'm torn as just cutting circle images will not look nearly as good as my current border cut. I have seen the circle images for like Megaman clocks and they just look cheap and I'm trying to avoid cheap looking.

True :/ Though not everyone would set the game price by eBay or over eBay. Some have the display just to keep it from getting "lost" or broken.

There's no doubt about it... a "legit" use or two for glass cases in such an environment, but guess what? They're truly a turn-off. You want to sell your crap? Make it easily accessible/demonstrable to the customer. In my 30+ years of visiting flea markets and the like, can't say I've seen too many dealers removing something from a glass case, show to a customer and then actually make the sale. What's under glass typically stays under glass and these guys don't seem to mind lugging their crap around year after year to proudly display as if they're amateur museum curators or something. Seems to me, there's typically zero interest by the customer and/or most people know that what's under glass is going to be overpriced/over valued in such a place. ;)

BTW: I do actually skim over cases real quick like, but it's always the same old scene. The few times I've actually caught 2600 games under glass, it's been Pac-Man, Combat and even a Ms. Pac-Man recently (which I happened to photograph for the thread asking for overpriced games with pics). In every_single_case (pun intended), the games were overpriced.

All this talk about glass cases reminded me of something... when I sold electronics at Montgomery Ward, had the pleasure of *trying* to sell the Atari Portfolio. Yep... it and all the other like-minded devices of the time (Casio, Franklin, etc.) were all under lock and key in these nice glass cases in Brand Central. The Portfolio saw very little interest by anyone, despite having some DOS/Lotus compatibility and seemed nearly every unit that was sold, ended up being returned for whatever reason. In which case, my paltry commission was taken away next paycheck. sigh

• Like 1

LMAO. Of course you haven't because you never check the display cases LOL.

No doubt. I quit checking a long long long time ago. Unfortunately my business partner hasn't accepted this yet but I think he is coming around because lately he has been passing them up as well. Its has been really nice for the last few months not to hear his rumblings about prices. My young padawan is starting to learn.