IGNORED

Old Odyssey system: value?

Starfury

We were going through my in-laws estate and in the closet was an Odyssey game system. It is in the cardboard packing box and when I brought it home and opened it to test it out...it's still new. Game was bought and then shoved in a closet and forgotten. What is this worth? There's 6 game chips in there, a bunch of cards/plastic sheets to put over the TV and adapters. We don't plan on keeping it and I'm in charge of selling it.

The box it's packed in plus the invoice ($85) says it's a 200 system. It does appear to have been used...barely. The cards/poker chips/screen covers look untouched. There is an adapter with it but I'm not sure how it fits in the box.

I'd post pictures here if I knew how.

• Like 2

Putting it on eBay would fetch the most monies for sure.... But damn, someone came here before or along going to EPay, so give him a price that is honest, that is worth it, but on the other hand that wo'nt be a steal on the gaming commmunity; so, no one is robbed, everybody is happy.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

If you're a collector - keep it. I've never seen an Odyssey 1 in such amazing condition. And if you do sell it thinking you can make a profit from the boxed system, and then buy another and still have cash consider this.

On Craigslist, about 4 years ago - I bought a Commodore 64, the Commodore 1702 Monitor, with a crap load of software, GEOS, Commodore Mouse, Commodore Joystick, several Commodore floppy drives, tape drives, etc - all boxed, in the plastic, in mint condition. I don't believe there exists another Commodore 64 in the condition that the one I had 4 years ago was in. It had literally no signs of age. No yellowing, no fading on the cherry keys, etc.

I sold it about 4 months later (and the monitor which was also in amazing condition) for a little under $200. I've regretted that decision to this day. I tried getting other C64 computers, but NONE OF THEM are anywhere near the same condition at the C64 I had. You have a system in your possession that I would call beyond mint condition.

Think twice about selling this system, as you will NEVER find another one in the condition yours is in.

On a side note - price discussion isn't allowed on Atari Age. The reasons for this, is to prevent price driving.

Edited by SwampFox56
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still have it; haven't had time to hook it up to see if it works. I think I can just use the converter box it came with and connect to the antenna in port on the TV. I wasn't aware of the "don't discuss price" rule here; I asked because my research didn't give any consistent answers.

I still have it; haven't had time to hook it up to see if it works. I think I can just use the converter box it came with and connect to the antenna in port on the TV. I wasn't aware of the "don't discuss price" rule here; I asked because my research didn't give any consistent answers.

Until someone can point to it being a currently enforced rule and not something long forgotten about, I don't think there is any taboo in price discussing. It's done all the time here.

Until someone can point to it being a currently enforced rule and not something long forgotten about, I don't think there is any taboo in price discussing. It's done all the time here.

Agreed. From my perspective, it's commonly done.

In fact, it seems to be the reason a fair number of people first join this site and unless they smell like scammers, we don't seem to run them off. I mean, c'mon, if helping out a fellow human being isn't enough, it gives us first shot at buying some cool stuff. ;)

The Odysey is part of my in-laws estate. Since I'm the only person that is in any way technical it was given to me to test/sell. I put batteries in the unit, hooked it to the TV and put in a cartridge. It comes on...but the games don't load and I don't get any sort of menu. I think it's using the 40+ year old cable/converter to a modern TV. I'm going to scrounge up an old tube TV and see if that works better.

Yes, the unit is for sale but I want to make sure it's good before I do sell it.

I'm going to scrounge up an old tube TV and see if that works better.

Wow, I am old. When you said "tube TV", I was thinking pre-transistor, vacuum tube type set like I used to work on when I was a kid and I wondered for a second why you thought that would be helpful. :)

Wow, I am old. When you said "tube TV", I was thinking pre-transistor, vacuum tube type set like I used to work on when I was a kid and I wondered for a second why you thought that would be helpful. :)

I'm old too...but not that old.

Turns out the model I have is the Odyssey ITL 200

I've never owned one, but my understanding is that the original Odyssey is a crude, simplistic machine. A "game" on screen would consist of one or maybe two large blocks and a line. It probably wouldn't even look like a game without the overlay on the screen. There wouldn't be a menu of any sort, not even on screen scoring.

But, if you see nothing on the screen, then, yeah. Something is amiss.