IGNORED

What was your favorite PC (and compatibles) company BITD?

Keatah

What was your favorite PC (and compatibles) company BITD?

I personally liked Practical Peripherals because they had excellent documentation, didn't change their packaging theme every week, and their boards and things were fully populated and feature-complete.

Supra and U.S. Robotics were also good for different reasons but I don't have time ATM to elaborate on why.

My first PC (not counting c64, Amiga, etc) was pretty expensive IIRC, but I used it all throughout college and I learned a lot on it. Some kind of 386, I don't remember the brand. It did have a huge 120mb hard drive, though. I debated taking my Amiga to college, but by the last couple of years every class more or less required a PC or a Unix box in the lab so that probably worked out for the best. VGA + SoundBlaster was my favorite era of PC games, too. After I graduated and got a job I *think* I got an HP Pentium from Best Buy or something... I don't remember that PC much, it wasn't that great, but I do remember splurging on a giant 17" monitor. That thing was fantastic, and I got probably 20 years out of it and used it across many different PCs. I built my own PC once or twice, but they were always a little flaky. My Dell P4 was pretty solid.

I always thought Tandy had some neat PC clones, with a lot of built-in software... although I believe there were occasional compatibility problems. Never owned one, but they seemed interesting.

Love(d) the Model M clicky keyboards from the 5150 IBM machines BITD. No 'A' for my Amigas, or 'option' or 'command' keys for my Macs though, so the Model M keyboard I have (before Win95 keys) with its PS/2 to USB adapter sits idle waiting to be used in some way, some day again. Probably won't hack my TI, but it would be kinda cool to use that M keyboard with it.