IGNORED

Intellivision games on the COLECO CHAMELEON

Rev

I heard some Intellivision games may be on the new coleco system. Elektronite games.

How does that work?

Is the system even still coming out? Where is kickstarter? Are the intv roms emulated? What pcb is used for it?

Please don't turn this thread into a coleco chameleon bashing thread. I really know very little about it.

Hahahaha

I think this is the crowdfunding page, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#

The wikipedia page talks about an FPGA chip as a "stretch goal" and Jaguar type cartridge shells. There are no details on the official website. I'm guessing nothing is finalised. I don't know much about FPGA, can they make a system where the FPGA chip switches from one console type to another (ie colecovision to intellivision)?

Edited by mr_me

This new version of what once the RVGS project isn't going to ever go anywhere.

But they claim that the non-existent hardware will play Intellivision and Colecovision games. The RVGS had the right kind of controller ports, but their mockup photos for the Chameleon have different ports and show a Wii U pad. At the recent Toy Fair show, they plopped a SNES Mini inside the shell and ran an SD2SNES with a Jaguar cart shell taped over it.

So even if you believe any of what these guys say, you'll at least need to buy cart adapters and controller adapters or custom Intelllivision/Colecovision controllers.

The kickstarter was supposed to launch the other day, using a fake prototype to get around the rules this time. But since the fallout of so obviously taping their shells over a SNES setup was been so bad and widespread, they postponed it using the excuse that so many software publishers signed up at the Toy Fair, that they need more time to reorganize or some b.s.

Edited by Black_Tiger

Yes, the RVGS project turned into the Chameleon project, which is now also on hold until further notice. If they ever get the Chameleon to the working prototype stage, then it will be reasonable to speculate on things like ColecoVision and Intellivision game packs and controllers. Until then, that's very much jumping the gun on something no one has even seen working yet in true prototype form.

• Like 1

Was just pondering if it was worth trying to get a game on it and how to do it.

Personally, I think the number of sales you'd achieve would be in the low 10s. There is no nostalgia factor involved in playing an Inty game on that console. To me, part of the charm in playing new homebrew games is using the old system and its controllers and enjoying the limitations of the hardware.

If you put out an Inty game on cart for the Chameleon for $35 to $50 (the expected price range) it will be seen as poor value for money by the masses.

*yawn*. Emulation's been done to death.

I liked the original idea, but there simply isn't a profitable business here. Even the official rightsholder combined with ultra-low-cost/high-volume Chinese manufacturing and a full-blown nationwide retail presence can't make enough to justify continuing a product line. I don't see how random kinda-sorta retro emulation station sold online only is gonna convert the masses.

Much as I'd like to believe otherwise...

*yawn*. Emulation's been done to death.

I liked the original idea, but there simply isn't a profitable business here. Even the official rightsholder combined with ultra-low-cost/high-volume Chinese manufacturing and a full-blown nationwide retail presence can't make enough to justify continuing a product line. I don't see how random kinda-sorta retro emulation station sold online only is gonna convert the masses.

Much as I'd like to believe otherwise...

If they (or someone else) were to achieve this FPGA goal, wouldn't it be more like an Intellivision system on a chip than software emulation?

edit:

Adding that this theoretical system could support HDMI, 9pin or USB controllers, original Intelllvision cartridges. And then similarly support Atari VCS/5200, Colecovision.

Edited by mr_me

I kind of hope the Chameleon gets canned, its likely that it would be at best only two or three bits better than the original colecovision flashback if released. If the stars are rightly played then maybe, just maybe it will get canceled like the Phantom was, only this time it won't be a very sad thing to most people who know about it.

If they (or someone else) were to achieve this FPGA goal, wouldn't it be more like an Intellivision system on a chip than software emulation?

Hm. My SOAC experiences are most definitely mixed at best. I guess I'd have to reserve judgement until we see the level of compatibility.

The Intellivision wasn't a platform known for squeezing tricks out of hardware timing edge cases and the like, so a SOAC might work well here.

Hm. My SOAC experiences are most definitely mixed at best. I guess I'd have to reserve judgement until we see the level of compatibility.

The Intellivision wasn't a platform known for squeezing tricks out of hardware timing edge cases and the like, so a SOAC might work well here.

I was told that the Intellivision FPGA was 'working perfectly', however, considering that the 'prototypes' so far have been bogus, (at least the ones they showed) it is hard to know what to believe.

I was told that the Intellivision FPGA was 'working perfectly', however, considering that the 'prototypes' so far have been bogus, (at least the ones they showed) it is hard to know what to believe.

As I know literally nothing about the current controversy, I won't speculate. But "working perfectly" always makes me think twice.

Emulator authors claim it. SOAC designers claim it. Simulation creators claim it. Most of them try playing the world's most common games (which not coincidentally don't push the hardware very hard) and call it a day.

I'll believe it when I see it. Would be cool, though. Imagine a timing-accurate Flashback with cart port and the modern controller remakes. Droooooool.

As I know literally nothing about the current controversy, I won't speculate. But "working perfectly" always makes me think twice.

I was in the same boat up until this morning: I knew nothing of the controversy. A co-worker filled me in on what has been going on. It took over 15 minutes to give me the cliffnotes version of what has been going on. The short-short version: the Chameleon has been a clusterf***.

I'll believe it works when I see it.

I think the guy that did the Intellivision FPGA is atariage user "kevtris". I suppose you can ask kevtris directly about his work. I'm guessing the RetroVGS/Chameleon guys may have intended to use his FPGA work but the Chameleon project was likely at a very preliminary stage.

There was another topic on the Intellivision FPGA here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214190-intellivision-on-a-chip-is-this-real/

And here is a video from kevtris.

I suppose, like anything else, an Intellivision FPGA can be done poorly or near perfectly. We have excellent software emulators so it wouldn't be a big deal to many people.

Edited by mr_me

I think the guy that did the Intellivision FPGA is atariage user "kevtris". I suppose you can ask kevtris directly about his work. I'm guessing the RetroVGS/Chameleon guys may have intended to use his FPGA work but the Chameleon project was likely at a very preliminary stage.

Kevtris is hasn't been involved with he RetroVGS/Chameleon for a while now. If you look at the two big threads about that system on AA you'll see his thoughts on the matter. He is however, pursuing his own FPGA based console idea (with Inty support amongst others) here :-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

Wait a sec. Now there is something called FPGA????

How many is there??!?!

Calm down, hoarder :) an FPGA is an integrated circuit designed to to programmed after the chip is made, unlike normal chips that are burned at the factory. This lets someone create a Hardware Definition of a different chip to be loaded later. In simple terms, it lets the FPGA be programmed to act like other chips, hopefully with almost perfect accuracy. A lot older console have FPGA implementations (or "cores") to some degree or others, but the FPGAs are not cheap and that aren't off the shelf Rev-proof devices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?49865-The-Mist-FPGA-computer-Classic-home-computers-and-consoles

This would be the perfect implementation:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/?do=findComment&comment=3326314