IGNORED

Atari Flashback 6 vs. 6 Deluxe?

Is the only difference between the FB 6 and FB 6 Deluxe just the paddle controllers?

If the difference is only the paddles will the regular FB 6 games work with the paddles if a set is purchased separately from the AtGames website or are the games controlled or programmed differently on the paddle-less FB 6 than on the deluxe version?

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

That is the only difference between the regular and deluxe. You can purchase paddles separately and they will work, but good luck getting them to send you some! I've tried two different times and both times they were on back order. Looks like I'm going to just have to spring for a flashback 6 deluxe. I want to use the paddles on my original Atari 2600 as my old paddles are very jittery and I'm tired of having to clean them all the time!

• Like 1

Just an FYI, the new batch of AtGames products will come out in the Fall. That's still a ways off, of course, but something to keep in mind before going to extraordinary measures in the mean-time for any of the existing stuff.

The stand alone paddles go for $25 including shipping, but they never seem to be in stock. Best electronics was selling upgraded paddles for about $35 including shipping. Since I don't own a flashback at this time, I think getting a brand new deluxe edition for $35 including shipping (regular $50 at Sam's Club). I think it's a good buy. About the new stuff coming out in the fall, unless AtGames does one of the following to revise the Atari Flashback:

1. Include some of the bigger arcade titles, assuming they can come to a licensing agreement

2. Add HDMI output

3. Add an SD card slot

I won't be interested in buying it. I would say from what we have seen so far, odds are none of those things will happen, but we will see...

Just an FYI, the new batch of AtGames products will come out in the Fall. That's still a ways off, of course, but something to keep in mind before going to extraordinary measures in the mean-time for any of the existing stuff.

Is there anything you can tell us about those products as to why we might want to wait?

Is there anything you can tell us about those products as to why we might want to wait?

I do indeed have to tread carefully. I can't say much about what's new or what's not (or even what it is in one case) or about what the two upcoming Sega and two upcoming Atari products will encapsulate. It's a guarantee that the software mix will be different and at least a slight improvement over the previous mix (in terms of software desirability). On the Atari side, Secret Quest will finally be fully playable. AtGames has promised emulation improvements, but I'm not sure how exactly that will be implemented, if at all (I have yet to see the new hardware).

With the above in mind, I'm not necessarily advising waiting or not. It's still a long way off, relatively speaking. I was merely pointing out that this year will indeed see the usual annual release, so if you're not getting a good deal on the existing models, it might be worth it to wait.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bill if I may ask the Atari Flashback Six Classic Home Video Game Console will still be available even after the new annual release comes? I have been interested because I'm always interested in expanding my available library of titles. If I'm not mistaken I don't believe I have seen it locally. The Atari Flashback Five Classic Home Video Game Console is what I currently own and all I have seen locally recently. Not sure if I may have just overlooked it but I thought perhaps the release didn't hit my area yet. Perhaps the six only has another eight games but still I would love to get it if I could only find it. I tried emailing AtGames sites for availability information both locally and online about a month ago but never heard back yet.

Bill if I may ask the Atari Flashback Six Classic Home Video Game Console will still be available even after the new annual release comes? I have been interested because I'm always interested in expanding my available library of titles. If I'm not mistaken I don't believe I have seen it locally. The Atari Flashback Five Classic Home Video Game Console is what I currently own and all I have seen locally recently. Not sure if I may have just overlooked it but I thought perhaps the release didn't hit my area yet. Perhaps the six only has another eight games but still I would love to get it if I could only find it. I tried emailing AtGames sites for availability information both locally and online about a month ago but never heard back yet.

The 6 and any other older hardware will only be available if there's remaining inventory in the retail chain. Otherwise, it will only be the new products for 2016 that you'll see on most shelves.

The 6 and any other older hardware will only be available if there's remaining inventory in the retail chain. Otherwise, it will only be the new products for 2016 that you'll see on most shelves.

Not a bad deal then I don't guess. I get my pick at my local Hasting's Entertainment store and they usually have stock year round.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah! That's good!

The stand alone paddles go for $25 including shipping, but they never seem to be in stock. Best electronics was selling upgraded paddles for about $35 including shipping. Since I don't own a flashback at this time, I think getting a brand new deluxe edition for $35 including shipping (regular $50 at Sam's Club). I think it's a good buy. About the new stuff coming out in the fall, unless AtGames does one of the following to revise the Atari Flashback:

1. Include some of the bigger arcade titles, assuming they can come to a licensing agreement

2. Add HDMI output

3. Add an SD card slot

I won't be interested in buying it. I would say from what we have seen so far, odds are none of those things will happen, but we will see...

Yeah! I want that stuff too!

I'd say $35 is a good deal, particularly since it's $25 with the shipping for just the paddles. Your assumptions about the next iteration of specifically the next Atari Flashback console product are more or less sound.

Yeah! Confirmed by the source! More or less!!

I do indeed have to tread carefully. I can't say much about what's new or what's not (or even what it is in one case) or about what the two upcoming Sega and two upcoming Atari products will encapsulate. It's a guarantee that the software mix will be different and at least a slight improvement over the previous mix (in terms of software desirability). On the Atari side, Secret Quest will finally be fully playable. AtGames has promised emulation improvements, but I'm not sure how exactly that will be implemented, if at all (I have yet to see the new hardware).

With the above in mind, I'm not necessarily advising waiting or not. It's still a long way off, relatively speaking. I was merely pointing out that this year will indeed see the usual annual release, so if you're not getting a good deal on the existing models, it might be worth it to wait.

Wait, what?

LOL just hassling you, Bill L. I love your updates and that you always seem to have something to say. I'd rather get a little trickle of info from someone in the community than the usual absolutely nothing until they show up in a Toys R Us pre-order site.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plug N Plays don't need HDMI Output

Depends on what kind of a TV you are playing it on. If it's a flat screen the RCA hook up makes the graphics look terrible. HDMI is far better with a plug n play hook up. In fact, I've got an Intellivision Flashback modded for HDMI and it looks way better than an original Intellivision ever did, so I would want that for an Atari as well!

Here is what I don't understand, based on last couple of years' releases...ATGames has zero marketing effort behind these, same with Sega and Atari, so why are you being restricted? It's not like they have some big announcement/ press conference or trade show that they are going to make a showing at (ala when Apple premieres a new iPhone, for instance)

At this point the shipments are on the boats, literally and figuratively, so why the secrecy over what the 4 offerings are?

Here is what I don't understand, based on last couple of years' releases...ATGames has zero marketing effort behind these, same with Sega and Atari, so why are you being restricted? It's not like they have some big announcement/ press conference or trade show that they are going to make a showing at (ala when Apple premieres a new iPhone, for instance)

At this point the shipments are on the boats, literally and figuratively, so why the secrecy over what the 4 offerings are?

There are multiple commercial interests involved. I can't just discuss things willy-nilly. The good news is that they're working on improving their overall communication efforts, so there will be changes in this area in the coming months and beyond.

• Like 1