IGNORED

BitWriter Replica 1050 - Order phase has started

tf_hh

Are we able to order a sys-check now Jurgen?

I´ve 20 pieces of PCBs here. Try to assemble them in the next 1-2 weeks. The last 2 weeks I´ve had holiday, so there was a lot of spare time to assemble over 65 PCBs with BitWriter and Sys-Check. Now I´m back at work and spare time isn´t so much.

I will offer it in the Sys-Check thread when I´m ready...

Jurgen

• 3 weeks later...

the disk is physically damage and then the software is rearranged around it with the relevant sector information embedded in the software... this was done for each and every copy... so no two disks were exactly the same and the relevant code was different for each disk

That's not exactly what I found in the copies I've seen. And there is no reason to physically damage the surface. Physical alterations to the disk surface (such as laser hole) can only verified reliably by writing to the disk.

The copies I've seen have weak bits on the header of one sector. Which is just a magnetic protection. It is possible that the actual sector is different in each copy, I don't remember that.

When I made the first prototype after re-engineering, I use some GALs to replace the bunch of TTL chips. But it doesn´t work correct. The written copies aren´t exact, the copy protection detection of some tested games fails. So I decide to use the classic TTL chips as used in the original board.

P.S.: Yes, there are a few boards left :)

Hi Jurgen,

Are you releasing the technical info (schematics, firmware)?

I though the original had some kind of programmable logic. Never seen an actual hardware, but I remember a picture showing some hidden chip(s) buried in epoxy?

Still some boards left?

• Like 1

Are you releasing the technical info (schematics, firmware)?

I though the original had some kind of programmable logic. Never seen an actual hardware, but I remember a picture showing some hidden chip(s) buried in epoxy?

Still some boards left?

Actual no boards are left, but two other users want one, so I´ve ordered 10 more PCBs and parts. Will take 3-4 weeks until they are finished.

Normally all my projects are released fully to the public incl. schematics and so on. Because this project is mostly made of re-engineering (by permission) I´ve the ask the involved people. If everything is fine, surely I will publish all.

No, both parts (Super Archiver and BitWriter) doesn´t use any programmable logic. The Super Archiver is only a 2 KByte SRAM, a 4 KByte EPROM and one 74LS00 glued in epoxy. The BitWriter itself has some 74LS00, 74LS193, 74LS251 and 74LS74 onboard, followed by a PIA (6520 or 6821) and 8 KByte SRAM (6264).

The real power - and this is the amazing part for me - of both projects are packed in the software. The hardware is "only" to enable breakout the limits of the FDC-circuit in the 1050 original PCB. Not more. Kudos to Bob Puff for this great work of all.

This is the original, full populated BitWriter board. The black block in the middle is the Super Archiver:

post-15670-0-42174300-1462098214_thumb.jpg

The following both scans are the naked PCB after I´ve removing all parts to see what´s going on under there :)

post-15670-0-81033800-1462098276_thumb.jpg

post-15670-0-45858500-1462098289_thumb.jpg

Jurgen

No, both parts (Super Archiver and BitWriter) doesn´t use any programmable logic. The Super Archiver is only a 2 KByte SRAM, a 4 KByte EPROM and one 74LS00 glued in epoxy. The BitWriter itself has some 74LS00, 74LS193, 74LS251 and 74LS74 onboard, followed by a PIA (6520 or 6821) and 8 KByte SRAM (6264).

Thanks Jurgen. When I thought that the BitWriter had some kind of programmable logic, I wasn't thinking exactly on processing power, but more on protecting the design. We know that CSS (don't know if it was Bob himself or not) liked to protected his products, almost at the paranoid level.

Would be very interesting to see the schematics, but just by the components I can get an idea of its principle of operations.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

after 25 years i completed a project of OCR's the SCANIT documentation i had, this project was on hold for 15 years and recently with the help of Larry i was able to complete it

25 Years ago i bought the Super Archiver from B&C, it came in a big box with a floppy, instillation manual and the SCANIT book

few years later i bought a second Supper Archiver chip with the Super Archiver 2 software that support Enhanced Density disks.. but this time i got a photocopy of an older version of the SCANIT manual in poor quality..

so owners of the Super Archiver or BitWriter Replica here is the Manual and disks.. now you can read yourself how to use the software on your drive to create protected tracks

enjoy

SCANIT.doc

SCANIT.pdf

The Super Archiver 3.02.atr

The Super Archiver II 3.03.atr

• Like 7

Thanks Jurgen. When I thought that the BitWriter had some kind of programmable logic, I wasn't thinking exactly on processing power, but more on protecting the design. We know that CSS (don't know if it was Bob himself or not) liked to protected his products, almost at the paranoid level.

Oh yes... he does! For example, in the BitWriter circuit the "R0" input from PIA are not as usually connected to "A0" from CPU (and "R1" to "A1"), they are exchanged... R0 is connected to A1 and R1 to A0... of course I miss that point and the first prototype PCB won´t work until I look more exactly... :mad:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a quick question, because I have already gone there.. but my mega speedy does everything this bitwriter does .. and more correct?

Not exactly. The MegaSpeedy is able to emulate the Super Archiver, but not the BitWriter. The BitWriter is needed to copy some special copy protections. But the BitWriter could be much more, it´s only a question of software.

Like some other projects from Dropcheck for example, the main reason why I make the BitWriter Replica was keeping such a fantastic unit alive. The main goal of the MegaSpeedy was to enable as much as possible enhancements for the 1050 in one single expansion.

Jurgen