IGNORED

How Many Copies Of The Same Game Do You Own?

hizzy

I massively pruned my duplicates collection last year, but I also decided to hold onto a few. I've had the chance a couple of times now to set up Ataris for public play, and of course duplicates are the best for that sort of thing. I'm slowly building a second set of, say, fifty or so of the best games, and then a few of those with the biggest claims to fame (read "extra-dirt common") I'm keeping five times over.

I think Combat still wins, though, since I kept multiples of both the text and picture labels. If I'm counting correctly, I have 12 of those.

I don't keep doubles of the same game, since I don't collect variants- at least on the same system. I'll have the same game on multiple systems from time to time.

I did accidentally buy a Burgertime for Atari when I already had it on Inty- so I decided every pre-crash system I end up owning, I'm gonna track down Burgertime, just to be silly.

Edited by HoshiChiri

• 10 months later...

I purposely buy multiple copies of the following games:

Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders and Pole Position.

I'm trying to collect all box variations (US and UK only really, with a slight concession to bootlegs from Taiwan!) and sometimes label variations on the carts themselves. If I see any other country versions that are cheap enough, I'd buy them too.

I currently have 5 or 6 each of Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Combat. Gonna try to get rid of my doubles soon. I'm hanging on to label variations at the moment, but I'm not 100% sure that I want to collect label variations. The reasoning is that if I get rid of them now, then decide I want them later, I'll have made the mistake of letting them go while I had them. If I keep them now, then I can just sell them later if I don't want them and no harm done. I don't seek them out, I just hang onto them when they come in a lot. Now that I've been collecting for a while, I'm leaning towards not bothering with the variations, since I prefer to simplify my life and cut away all the unnecessary bulk. That's why I don't collect boxes. I see them as unnecessary to my enjoyment of the games, and I won't buy a boxed game even if it's really cheap. I know at some point I'm going to be tempted to throw that box straight in the trash and I don't want to do that to something others might want to collect.

Edited by Harrison

I think Combat still wins, though, since I kept multiples of both the text and picture labels. If I'm counting correctly, I have 12 of those.

I believe Ms. Pac-Man now holds the crown in my collection, and they're almost all different versions for different systems. Counting only physical releases, there are...

• Apple II - AtariSoft
  • Atari 2600 - Atari (two copies)
  • Atari 5200 - Atari
  • Atari 7800 - Atari
  • Atari Lynx - Atari
  • Atari 8-bits - Atari
  • ColecoVision - Opcode (Pac-Man Collection)
  • Commodore 64 - AtariSoft
  • Intellivision - IntelligentVision
  • NES - Tengen
  • NES - Namco
  • Super Nintendo - Williams
  • Nintendo 64 - Namco (Namco Museum 64)
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color - Namco
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance - Namco (Namco Museum)
  • Sega Genesis - Tengen
  • Sony PlayStation - Namco (Namco Museum Volume 3)
  • Sony PlayStation 2 - Namco (Namco Museum)
  • Sony PlayStation 2 - Namco (Namco Museum 50th Anniversary)
  • XBox 360 - Namco (Namco Museum Virtual Arcade)

That's 21 different ways to insert a cartridge or disc into a system to play Ms. Pac-Man. If we count hacks and homebrews, the number goes up a tad more.

But, if we're talking about copies of the same version of the same game for the same system, I think Combat still holds that distinction for me.

I purposely buy multiple copies of the following games:

Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders and Pole Position.

I'm trying to collect all box variations (US and UK only really, with a slight concession to bootlegs from Taiwan!) and sometimes label variations on the carts themselves. If I see any other country versions that are cheap enough, I'd buy them too.