IGNORED

The Best Nintendo DS/3DS System

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best DS/3DS system?

• Original Nintendo DS
    • DS Lite
    • DSi
    • DSi XL
    • Original 3DS
    • 3DS XL
    • New 3DS
    • New 3DS XL
    • 2DS

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The New 3DS has super stable 3D, a nice glossy finish, and a little analog nub, and it can play downloaded SNES games. Clearly the best, especially if you were an early adopter and got the free "Ambassador" games. I have the XL version and it doesn't feel crazy huge.

The DS Lite is second best because it can play GBA games and fit in your pocket.

DSi can go pound sand, it doesn't do 3DS games, the download store isn't nearly as good, and it can't play GBA games. Transitional crap.

New 3DS all day. Interchangeable faceplates, much better pixel density than the XL.

The DSi is the best model of the original DS line, though. The lack of GBA support sucks, but the screen is infinitely better than the original or Lite. The original is frontlit rather than backlit and the DS Lite screen has significant ghosting when put side by side with the DSi. Same reason the micro blows the SP (both frontlit and backlit) out of the water.

I play all my original Game Boy games on Super Game Boy 2 or frontlight-modded Game Boy Color

I play my Gameboy Color games on a frontlight-modded Game Boy Color or Game Boy Player

I play all my Game Boy Advance games on a micro or Game Boy Player

I play all my DS games on a DSi (not XL)

I play all my 3DS games on a New 3DS (not XL)

Now that the thread has gotten a few replies I'll toss in my two cents. For me it was a really tough choice between the DS Lite and New 3DS XL, but I ended up going with the New 3DS XL since it covers all the handheld Nintendo games that I can't play on my backlit AGS-101 model GBA SP and I've had really bad luck with the build quality on the DS Lites I've owned.

I love the DS Lite for it's compact form factor and ability to play original DS as well as GBA games in their native resolution, but all 4 DS Lites I've owned (all purchased brand new) had at least one or two stuck pixels on one of the screens combined with various other issues like misaligned backlights, wonky D-pads, and touchscreen problems. The DS Lite is still my favorite handheld, but for reasons of build quality and versatility I ended up voting for the New 3DS XL. It plays DS, DSi, and 3DS games on it and they all look great. The 3DS games are very enjoyable thanks to the super stable 3D, I dig the analog nub for Resident Evil Revelations, Moon Chronicles, and Ironfall: Invasion, and original DS/DSi games still look very nice on it in spite of not being displayed in their native resolution. The full screen DS/DSi upscaling in the New 3DS XL is much more clean and less blurry than in previous 3DS iterations.

Mind you I've yet to own a regular sized New 3DS, since I'm waiting for Nintendo to release it in black in North America, but I have owned every other DS/3DS line system in the poll. I am really looking forward to trying it though, and it may change my vote when I do since the New 3DS XL is a bit heavy for my tastes. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :)

The New 3DS XL, BUT I feel it's necessary to mention that the New 3DS is the hardware we should have gotten in 2011. The Old 3DS is frustrating because it can't handle emulation for crap... even Genesis games were monstrously hard to port to it. Just no forethought put into its design at all.

As the 3DS nears the end of its life, its flaws become increasingly apparent. That's in contrast to the later models of the PSP, which only seem to sweeten with age.

• Like 1

New 3DS XL all the way. The Old 3DS takes a zillion years to load Smash Bros and won't run the Super NES games offered on the eShop.

Edit: Sorry, misread that. If you need a smaller form factor and interchangeable plates, you could get one. I prefer the XL's screen size myself, though.

Edited by Jess Ragan
  • Like 1

Is the New 3DS recommended over the New 3DS XL?

I'd say if you can handle the weight then go for the New 3DS XL. The larger screen size makes it easier to see smaller objects and characters in games like Super Smash Bros. without having to squint, and judge your trajectory to take corners more sharply in Mario Kart without bumping into a wall. I think the larger screen size also makes for a more immersive experience regardless of what game you're playing. Original DS and DSi games also look very good on it without much in the way of pixel blurring like you'll find on the original 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS. They still won't look quite as good as they would on a DSi XL, but most games should look reasonably close.

However, if the New 3DS XL is too heavy for you to hold for extended periods of time then the smaller sized New 3DS is going to be your best bet. Personally I can't hold the XL for more than 20 minutes or so before I start getting some serious wrist and elbow pain. My recommendation would be to buy a New 3DS XL from somewhere like Target that has a good unconditional return policy, then if you find it's too heavy to be comfortable for you play for long periods you'll have 30 days to take it back and exchange it for a regular sized New 3DS. Hope that helps! :)

Edited by Jin

The New 3DS has super stable 3D, a nice glossy finish, and a little analog nub, and it can play downloaded SNES games. Clearly the best, especially if you were an early adopter and got the free "Ambassador" games. I have the XL version and it doesn't feel crazy huge.

The DS Lite is second best because it can play GBA games and fit in your pocket.

DSi can go pound sand, it doesn't do 3DS games, the download store isn't nearly as good, and it can't play GBA games. Transitional crap.

This post pretty much nails it.

1. n3DSXL

2. DS Lite

I picked the DS Lite. I had 2 original DS with broken hinges, one part of the hinge was very thin and broke after a few years. The DS Lits I have never had any issues with build quality, plus they came in a variety of colors. Nice to have when you have 3-4 of them. I never had a DSi. I do have an original 3DS. Nice system, but again the hinge seems very floppy on the original 3DS. The hinge never broke, but it seems the top screen was never really locked in.The 3ds XL would be my second choice on the list. Nice big screen and seems well built. I do not own a 2ds or New 3DS.

I feel I am qualified to answer this since I've been an early adopter of all of them and never gotten rid of any, :lol: I've never met a DS I didn't like!

They all were great for their time but in March 2016, there is zero doubt that the New 3DS XL is the way to go for the majority of people. The improved & stable 3D works great, it's faster, it plays all 3DS, DS, and new 3DS games etc. The only reasons you'd choose otherwise is if 1) You wanted a smaller form-factor; or 2) You're looking for GBA compatibility (which to me you should just have a GBA-SP for).

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

I feel I am qualified to answer this since I've been an early adopter of all of them and never gotten rid of any, :lol: I've never met a DS I didn't like!

They all were great for their time but in March 2016, there is zero doubt that the New 3DS XL is the way to go for the majority of people. The improved & stable 3D works great, it's faster, it plays all 3DS, DS, and new 3DS games etc. The only reasons you'd choose otherwise is if 1) You wanted a smaller form-factor; or 2) You're looking for GBA compatibility (which to me you should just have a GBA-SP for).

Very well said! So far I'm not the least bit surprised that the New 3DS XL is leading in the poll, with the DS Lite a little ways behind. Unless you're someone like me who requires a smaller and lighter system due to physical limitations the New 3DS XL really is going to be the way to go for most people.

Although, I think there could be some argument made for choosing the DS Lite instead on the basis of "Which game library is better? The DS Lite's DS & GBA library or The New 3DS XL's 3DS, DSi, & DS library?" The DSi doesn't bring a whole lot of worthwhile games to the table (just System: Flaw and Foto Showdown really) so it kinda comes down to whether someone finds the GBA or 3DS catalog more compelling.

For retro gaming fans and collectors who prefer to own games on physical cartridges rather than digitial downloads I can easily see the GBA library winning out here; with ports of Doom, Doom II, Wolfenstein 3D, Zelda: A Link to the Past, the entire Classic NES Series, Final Fantasy I & II, Activision Anthology, all the Sonic Advance and Super Mario Advance games, plus more arcade game compilations, RPGs and Shoot 'Em Ups than you can shake a stylus at.

The 3DS catalog on the other hand, while quite a bit smaller in terms of quality titles than the GBA catalog, still has a fair bit of retro offerings on physical media through 3D ports of some N64 classics like Star Fox 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask as well as it's own retro compilations like Mega Man Legacy Collection. And if you don't mind digital download games then the eShop opens up a whole world of retro offerings, including some pretty pricey and hard to find titles like Shantae for the Game Boy Color and Summer Carnival '92: Recca for the Famicom that most gamers may never get the chance to experience outside of the digital eShop ports.

I think a good case could be made for both the DS Lite and New 3DS XL being the best options in the DS/3DS line, so it really comes down to whether the person shopping for the system prefers the GBA or 3DS library to supplement the stellar lineup of DS games available. And at the end of the day you can still play Chrono Trigger on both of them, so there's really no wrong answer here. :)

Edited by Jin

It's such a pity Companies don't want to release compilations anymore. Just imagine a compilation with all GBA castlevania games in a 3DS cartridge. A cartridge with Super Mario world and Mario all stars, a cartridge with a nice Capcom collection etc.. That would for me take the 3DS from being a good handheld into godly gaming heaven. It would eat all my Money and most of my gaming time.

Same goes for Sony. But they actually do it better. They did release ratched and Clank, GoW, and some other compilations of their own games. I'd love to see more though.

I'm very happy with my black New 3DS XL.

Only complaint I can make is the lid is getting floppy, it doesn't have that 'snap' like it once did. I also wish it was louder.

Battery life is pretty descent and 3D is awesome. I play Zelda OoT 3D and Mario Kart on it mainly..

I'm pretty much convinced to get a New 3DS XL fairly soon. I already have both a DS Lite and GBA SP, so I'm covered for lots of backwards capability.

I only have a small handful of GBA and DS games, always intended to look for more, but I'm wary of bootlegs because it seems every Zelda and Pokémon game on ebay is fake.

Does 3DS have rampant piracy?

I've been debating picking up a 2DS actually. I have a DS Lite which is pretty great, I use it mostly to play Advance and GB/GB Colour games. 3D makes me feel sick, especially on a smaller screen so I don't need a unit that can do it. Mostly because I don't play it too much and I can get one for really cheap, and I actually like the form-factor of the 2DS.

The New 3DS XL is my favorite video game system that I have ever owned.

• Huge library of quality titles, both DS and 3DS
  • The size is perfect for my massive hands and the screen size itself is neither too big nor too small
  • The 3D tracking is something that sounded "meh" on paper and blew me away when I tried it
  • The ability to download SNES classics that I never got a chance to play is just icing on the cake at this point

Also, do any of you use screen protectors? I haven't seen the need for one, but if everyone but me uses them, I guess I might as well hop aboard that train.