IGNORED

The Best Nintendo DS/3DS System

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best DS/3DS system?

• Original Nintendo DS
    • DS Lite
    • DSi
    • DSi XL
    • Original 3DS
    • 3DS XL
    • New 3DS
    • New 3DS XL
    • 2DS

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

In my experience, the New 3DS XL is great if you want to play DS and 3DS games. However, the DS Lite is best if you want to play DS and GBA games. Avoid the original DS unit, as its screens are very dim and dull (though the unit's build quality is quite nice).

Also, do any of you use screen protectors? I haven't seen the need for one, but if everyone but me uses them, I guess I might as well hop aboard that train.

I don't see a need for them. When closed, the clamshell case protects the screen. Covering the screen could introduce bubbles or blurriness, and they often don't fit quite right. Unless you're pressing too hard on the bottom screen with a stylus, I wouldn't bother with them. The machine is nice and durable.

Also, do any of you use screen protectors? I haven't seen the need for one, but if everyone but me uses them, I guess I might as well hop aboard that train.

I'd say avoid using screen protectors at all costs. Not only do they reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen, but they can be ridiculously difficult to apply without getting air bubbles underneath them and screwing up the visual quality of the screens. The New 3DS XL uses a pretty tough and resilient touchscreen too, so you're not very likely to scratch it through normal use and the clamshell design protects the screens when not in use. I personally don't see any reason to use a screen protector on any DS/3DS line system.

I use Hori Screen protectors on my DS lite. Pretty good, and doesn't affect sensibility too much. I try to put the Screen protector day 1. Open the console and first Thing slap that Screen protector on, because unless I do that there's no way to put the Thing on without bubbles. I still like them, but I never bothered putting a Screen protector on my 3DSXL.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told early NEW 3DS XL's are good, but then they switched to cheaper screens/3d tracking that doesn't work as well. I have a 3DS XL currently and am in the market for the "New" model, but really want to make sure I get the right one (an earlier one, with the higher spec components.) Anyone know any details on this (confirm/deny) and if so serial numbers or models to seek out? Thanks

I was told early NEW 3DS XL's are good, but then they switched to cheaper screens/3d tracking that doesn't work as well. I have a 3DS XL currently and am in the market for the "New" model, but really want to make sure I get the right one (an earlier one, with the higher spec components.) Anyone know any details on this (confirm/deny) and if so serial numbers or models to seek out? Thanks

Unfortunately it's a total crap shoot when it comes to what kind of screens any New 3DS XL will have in it. There is no way to tell by the serial number, packaging, or any other method short of turning it on and examining the screens. Some systems will have a higher quality IPS upper screen coupled with a TN lower screen and some will have TN screens for both the upper and lower. Note that this only applies to the XL size New 3DS, as the smaller regular sized model was only produced with TN screens.

If you're in the market for a New 3DS XL with an IPS upper screen then my best advice would be to buy your system from Target or another retailer that has an unconditional no questions asked return policy. You can still find IPS upper screen models in retail stores, but you may have to go through a few systems before you find one.

Once you do have your New 3DS XL you can open it's web browser and go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php to determine which kind of screens you have in it. On an IPS screen you won't be able to see the outlines of the black boxes in that page until #8 onward, whereas on a TN screen you will be able to see the outlines from #4 onward. You can scroll up and down the page, moving the boxes between the upper and lower screens to see if there is a difference between the two. The overwhelming majority of New 3DS XLs will have TN lower screens, although there have been a few (and I do mean just a few) confirmed cases of a New 3DS XL having IPS screens for both the upper and lower screens.

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 1

I really liked the DSi, my favorite handheld of all time so that's what I voted for. Even though I think I'd like the larger screen a lot, I wasn't going to shell out for a DSi XL. Seems like it'd be cool. It's hard to vote when I've only tried the original DS and DSi. Never played a 3DS.

I would've said the New 3DS XL but I like the NES edition of the 3DS XL, even if it isn't as fancy, it just looks cools. = ) Also, since there are good options for GBA games, such as the gameboy player on GameCube or even things like the Retron, I'd prefer to have a system that can access the DS / 3DS games.

Bought this for my son. It's pretty sweet and I'm a bit jealous. I did keep the box, though. It was pretty cool.

Now that I've had about a month to ponder the subject further, and spend much of that time gaming on a DS Lite, I've found myself really wishing that I could go back and change my vote from the New 3DS XL to the DS Lite. As tricky as it can be to find a perfect working DS Lite without any defects, once I finally tracked one down and spent some time playing it I realized that it really is my all time favorite handheld.

For my tastes I enjoy the GBA library way more than than the 3DS library, and I also find the DS Lite way more comfortable and enjoyable to use than the New 3DS XL. The light weight and 8 hour battery life is great for long play sessions, I like how the smaller screen size makes the graphics in DS games look sharper and cleaner (and displays GBA games in their native resolution), and I find the DS Lite's "squishy" buttons and D-Pad much more comfortable and enjoyable to use than the low profile "clicky" buttons on later handhelds. The feel of the DS Lite's D-Pad and buttons reminds me a lot of the Game Boy and Sega Genesis controls that I grew up with, and that makes them feel just perfect to me.

So, consider my vote changed from New 3DS XL to DS Lite. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for the new 3DS XL, since I own one and have played a few other types of DS's over the years. This one has held my attention due to the new tracking technology that keeps the image on the top screen nice and sturdy. I did have a regular 3DS awhile back, but this new 3DS XL is just plain awesome.

I voted for the original Nintendo DS; the thing's vast, amazing library aside, the build quality is phenomenal. You could throw that thing against a brick wall and at worst you'd crack the hinge a little bit, but you could literally fix it with some glue. And the thing would still work half-dangling off. Meanwhile, I remember that my DSLite took a tumble down some (carpeted!) stairs once and its hinges didn't survive the experience. Also, the original DS' larger size just feels better in my hands, honestly, without being too big that it's obnoxious, like the 2DS variant of the 3DS.

My only gripe with the original model is that its D-Pad was sure as hell not cut out for Mario Kart DS. I'm pretty sure that my thumbs are still recovering from all that drifting I did.

If I could vote for two, the original DS would be my second choice, and very close to the new 3DS XL. I loved this system, despite it's rough start with barely any games when it was first released. I regret parting with it years ago...it would have been nice to keep it and play original DS games on. This think went with me everywhere and I loved the clamshell design (or wing design, I guess).

Kirby's Canvas Curse was one I remember playing fondly for hours at a time. That, and Animal Crossing: Wild World.

• Like 1