IGNORED

why does the atari 5200 get hated on?

atari2800man

My main point here is,flawing a console for just one flaw is ridiculious.I know the atari 5200s release controllers are faulty.yeah they suck.my point was just that theres other options to fix that simple flaw and create ataris greatest atari arcade heaven.I mean the games and graphics are great for its time.I of course never had this at launch,so I dont know if there were third party controllers at that time period.nobodys cheap.im sorry I even said that.I just wish this system got more respect.

I think it's fine that you're passionate about the console. I love all of my Atari systems for their unique charms. I've been playing a lot of 5200 games lately after getting a cheap (homemade) adapter to use a Flashback 2 controller. Just had an epic Gremlins marathon in fact!

The thing that's not cool is being rude to another forum member. Atari Leaf is a good guy who contributes positively to these forums. There's nothing wrong with respectful disagreement, but I like to think of Atariage as a nice retro community (except for the Jaguar board--heyo! J/K), and free from too much internet vitriol.

The thing with the 5200 controllers is that it's not a minor flaw due to the lack of reasonably priced alternatives. And, even with the gold upgrades to the original controllers, there's still the issue of the non-centering analog stick and zero tactile feedback buttons. Plus, an Atari XEGS has a similar library, built in composite out, and uses standard controllers.

As far as arcade action goes, with the exception of the crappy sound, the Atari 7800 is probably the best with the abundant homebrew offerings.

With all this in mind, no hate for my 5200. Gremlins, Mario Bros, Kangaroo, Berzerk, Dig Dug, Galaxian, Joust, Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, and Space Invaders have all been in my rotation the past couple weeks. Prior to my controller adapter though, the console was collecting some dust.

Edited by Noah98
  • Like 4

If I could afford one, And it were A/V Modded (Ideally with S-Video if possible), And if I had a solution for the controllers, well I wouldn't mind having one TBH :)

I'm pretty amateur with soldering, but I have successfully AV/power switch modded both a Colecovision and an Atari 7800. I even svideo modded a Snes mini.

I'm afraid to mess with my 5200 because it's a 4 port (I had to have the original beast) and I can't figure out how to do the power mod along with the av. I've seen a few guides here on Atariage, but I need an idiot proof step by step guide with either pictures or video! Don't want to risk it since mine works well with a decent picture for RF, in spite of the wacky switchbox which I hope stays alive ?

• Like 2