IGNORED

OPCODE GAME CLUB

GraziGamer

3 hours ago, opcode said:

Yes, F18A can do smooth scrolling, but it isn't that simple. The whole engine must be changed, and I just don't have the resources to create 3 different engines. For example, F18A uses a TMS9990 or whatever CPU as the graphic coprocessor, and I don't feel like learning it. My own co-processor is much easier to understand and program. You must remember that the F18A was created with the TI99/4A in mind, while the AVSC1 inside the SGM2 was created specifically for the ColecoVision.

You don't have to use the GPU for scrolling - the F18A scroll offset is a register just like every other video chip with hardware scrolling...

Not debating your reasons, but don't muddy the water. :)

You don't have to use the GPU for scrolling - the F18A scroll offset is a register just like every other video chip with hardware scrolling...

Not debating your reasons, but don't muddy the water. [emoji4]

You need for “split screen”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone mentioned split screen, but do you want to discuss it? We can make it look like a register in about 5 instructions, I can give you those five instructions and you're set. [emoji4]

Please read my comment above. I think I gave enough reason for my decision. Don’t feel like doing 3 versions of the game, what is required to run smoothly at 3.5MHz, etc. It is all there.

Gradius SGM1 supports optimized color palettes with F18A.

15 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I don't think anyone mentioned split screen, but do you want to discuss it? We can make it look like a register in about 5 instructions, I can give you those five instructions and you're set. :)

I so hope you can persuade Opcode to add smooth scrolling if it’s easier than they thought.  I’m loving this.

1 minute ago, opcode said:

Please read my comment above. I think I gave enough reason for my decision. Don’t feel like doing 3 versions of the game, what is required to run smoothly at 3.5MHz, etc. It is all there.

Gradius SGM1 supports optimized color palettes with F18A.

…but then again maybe not. ?

49 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I so hope you can persuade Opcode to add smooth scrolling if it’s easier than they thought.  I’m loving this.

No, he just wants to argue. All I wanted to do was correct the mistaken impression that GPU code is required for smooth scroll on the F18A.

51 minutes ago, opcode said:

Please read my comment above.

Maybe you should read /my/ post where I said I wasn't debating your reasons, but go ahead, I'm sure you can make it so I was the one who was wrong.

You stated something erroneous, you were corrected. I am now walking away.

Maybe you should read /my/ post where I said I wasn't debating your reasons, but go ahead, I'm sure you can make it so I was the one who was wrong.

You stated something erroneous, you were corrected. I am now walking away.

Are you a F18A shareholder? I didn’t state anything wrong. You don’t know anything about the game, but you felt you had to get involved. The only one arguing here is you. I stated all my reasons when asked. But it seems you didn’t like my reasons, you had to prove how easy F18A is. I am aware of the F18A internals because guess what, I have been using it since 2016. I just don’t want to learn TMS9900, especially (and this is the important part), especially when I have my own solution that does the same with a single setting. And for a game that already has 2 different engines.

Now please go find someone else to pester.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, opcode said:

No, unfortunately smooth scrolling isn't possible with the ColecoVision video chip. Performance improvement is exactly what it says, an improvement in performance. That means the game runs with very little slow down. Graphic improvements are new colors in stage 1 and 3, and the proper "jumper" enemy in stage 1 (the original version had a single "jumper" enemy for all stages, but the arcade uses a different "jumper" in stage 1). Bug fixes include fixing the Vic Viper explosion when running in Phoenix/F18A. Phoenix/F18A also includes optimized color palette. 

Sorry to bring this up again but I just watched a video on your thread, "something new" where you show a video of the improved Gradius Opcode has been working on.  Its scrolling looks very smooth to me and you state it was achieved with a CV with SGM.  Not SGM2, just SGM but you have stated in this thread that as I have a Phoenix, which has SGM compatibility, I would have to buy the Gradius with SGM1 support that does NOT have smooth scrolling. If that video is representative of the scrolling on the Gradius version you (Opcode) recommended I get, then I'm in.  If it's not, what happened?

Edited by insertclevernamehere

12 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Sorry to bring this up again but I just watched a video on your thread, "something new" where you show a video of the improved Gradius Opcode has been working on.  Its scrolling looks very smooth to me and you state it was achieved with a CV with SGM.  Not SGM2, just SGM but you have stated in this thread that as I have a Phoenix, which has SGM compatibility, I would have to buy the Gradius with SGM1 support that does NOT have smooth scrolling. If that video is representative of the scrolling on the Gradius version you (Opcode) recommended I get, then I'm in.  If it's not, what happened?

I guess that at that point SGM2 hadn't been announced yet, so I said a SGM was required, but I didn't say SGM1. So nothing happened, that was always the plan for the reasons I already explained multiple times.

EDIT: but if it is any consolation, OMNI should be able to play all ColecoVision/SGM1/SGM2 games eventually. In fact I have it here already doing that. That is how I am capturing all my ColecoVision videos. 

Edited by opcode

10 hours ago, opcode said:

I guess that at that point SGM2 hadn't been announced yet, so I said a SGM was required, but I didn't say SGM1. So nothing happened, that was always the plan for the reasons I already explained multiple times.

EDIT: but if it is any consolation, OMNI should be able to play all ColecoVision/SGM1/SGM2 games eventually. In fact I have it here already doing that. That is how I am capturing all my ColecoVision videos. 

Cool.  I have my eyes on the OMNI.  I asked about the scrolling on the off chance you might say something like "well I wasn't entirely happy with the scrolling so while you may call it smooth, I didn't want to".

15 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Cool.  I have my eyes on the OMNI.  I asked about the scrolling on the off chance you might say something like "well I wasn't entirely happy with the scrolling so while you may call it smooth, I didn't want to".

Doing smooth scrolling on a console like the ColecoVision is very hard, because the hardware doesn't have scroll registers in its video processor (like the NES does, for example). To make a game like TwinBee or Gradius scroll smoothly on a ColecoVision, you absolutely need a superior auxiliary video processor, and that's exactly what the SGM2 offers (unlike the SGM1 which only offers extra RAM and an extra sound chip).

• Like 1

I am pleased that the older Color line games will be re-released (f.i. Bosconian). But...  Somehow I missed out on the release of Guardic, Penguin Wars, Boggy 84 and Cabbage Patch Kids back in 2018. I know that there was something special about these games and still I would like to know (for once and for all) if these games will become available again also (with a new package). 

To get these games via Ebay or other ways is very hard. The asking price is way to high or if not the seller won't ship outside North America ?..

I am pleased that the older Color line games will be re-released (f.i. Bosconian). But...  Somehow I missed out on the release of Guardic, Penguin Wars, Boggy 84 and Cabbage Patch Kids back in 2018. I know that there was something special about these games and still I would like to know (for once and for all) if these games will become available again also (with a new package). 

To get these games via Ebay or other ways is very hard. The asking price is way to high or if not the seller won't ship outside North America [emoji26]..

Some of those were limited editions. So unfortunately those won’t be re-released. Boggy and CPK are two examples.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Do Opcode plan to release any more premium boxes for other original run titles such as Donkey Kong Jr or from 3rd Party publishers like Parker Bros?  I would love to see boxes done for Frogger, Q*bert, Gyruss, Popeye and Tutankham.

Grazi will keep doing those as long as there is interest. In fact I guess she will soon start the next run.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, opcode said:

Grazi will keep doing those as long as there is interest. In fact I guess she will soon start the next run.

Are we close to being able to make the second payment for the 10 new ones???

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Aking said:

i heard there are 2 new excellent games released as roms , where/how can i purchase them ?

If you are a club member then you should have gotten an email with a link to purchase!!  If not, I don't know if these were exclusive to club members or not!!!

1 hour ago, lawdawg710 said:

If you are a club member then you should have gotten an email with a link to purchase!!  If not, I don't know if these were exclusive to club members or not!!!

why all the secrecy ? opcode made games digitally to sell , i want to buy 

Edited by Aking