IGNORED

How to find Dell 15KHz Ultrasharp Panels

I want a couple Dell Ultrasharp monitors that are capable of 15KHz modes over the s-video port. I used one at the last Atari Party in Davis, and I recall Sal saying something about only some panels working in the 15Khz mode, like the monitor had to be manufactured before a certain date.

Anyone got a cheat sheet that will tell me that if I look at X model of monitor with a Mfg. Date before Y, then I'll be able to run my Jag/ST or whatever else I feel like plugging into it?

Been looking at the 2407WFPb model because it's got a nice card reader on the side which could also be hugely beneficial.

-A.

I don't think any ST outputs s-video. Do you mean using composite (which is fuzzy but should work with any TV/monitor that supports it) or RGB (which requires a very specific monitor). I doubt that the Dell 2407WFP will handle the ST's RGB over the VGA connector.

Most of the known info about monitors that can handle the STs RGB via their VGA connectors is here: http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

I don't think any ST outputs s-video. Do you mean using composite (which is fuzzy but should work with any TV/monitor that supports it) or RGB (which requires a very specific monitor). I doubt that the Dell 2407WFP will handle the ST's RGB over the VGA connector.

Most of the known info about monitors that can handle the STs RGB via their VGA connectors is here: http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

Or you can start reading this thread here. If you have some sodering and wire snipping skills, we may have found a solution for HDMI output.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249091-falcon-scartrgb-to-hdmi/

Thanks all, that's what I was looking for. I was kindda thinking jaguar when I mentioned s-vid, video with the ST confuses me. I just gotta find a weekend and start tinkering.

Just bought both an NEC MultiSync LCD1970V-BK 19" LCD and NEC MultiSync LCD1970V-BK 19" LCD . Specs don't state they scan down to 15.5 KHZ, seen two Falcon users with them connected and running in RGB mode. The chip in the ST can be modified to output SVHS, but if your only looking to display, going with the RGB is worlds better.

I'll follow up once they arrive.

Edited by rustynutt

How is it with connectors on those monitors ? I guess that SCART is not present on versions sold in North America, but are there S-Video, composite or other analogue video inputs ?

Would be good to add those information at linked Wiki page. I know that RGB is best, but presence of some composite input is usually indicator that it supports TV scan frequencies. And that may be handy for some simple tests.

How is it with connectors on those monitors ? I guess that SCART is not present on versions sold in North America, but are there S-Video, composite or other analogue video inputs ?

The NEC 1970VX (supports 15kHz) has only DVI and VGA connectors, so only the VGA is of interest direct from an ST. I've never seen s-video (some people seem to call it SVHS) on an LCD monitor, just on TVs from a few years ago. It's probably possible to mod an ST to output s-video, but with RGB available I can't see the point. Right, SCART is so rare it basically doesn't exist in North America.

Another thing that would be handy to add to the wiki is the native resolution, the 1970VX is 1280x1024.

The NEC 1970VX (supports 15kHz) has only DVI and VGA connectors, so only the VGA is of interest direct from an ST. I've never seen s-video (some people seem to call it SVHS) on an LCD monitor, just on TVs from a few years ago. It's probably possible to mod an ST to output s-video, but with RGB available I can't see the point. Right, SCART is so rare it basically doesn't exist in North America.

Another thing that would be handy to add to the wiki is the native resolution, the 1970VX is 1280x1024.

People refer to it as "SVHS" because S-Video was associated with it. It's too bad SVHS bombed outside of Japan...

People refer to it as "SVHS" because S-Video was associated with it. It's too bad SVHS bombed outside of Japan...

"Super VHS" is a video tape format, and "Separate Video" (JVC later added to the confusion by re-naming it "Super Video") is a video signal format, that appeared at the same time. There's no such thing as an S-Video tape, nor an S-VHS cable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-VHS "Not to be confused with the video signal format S-Video"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video "Not to be confused with the video tape format S-VHS"

I saw someone on Facebook use the term "composite audio connector" the other day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed the NEC MultiSync LCD1970V-BK 19" LCD works fine at "RGB" 15kHz. It's a nice workbench size, all versions of Atari can be connected without swapping between an SC1224 and VGA for a TT or Falcon when needed. Paid $19.00 on fleebay for it. Display isn't like a CRT, but nice to be able to pick it up at my age. Actually, the ST/MegaST/MegaSTE display looks the best. Think it's a personal visual thing knowing what the Falcon looks like on a CRT. The TT has vertical banding, it's not just with this monitor. The guy building the TTL adapter for the TT mentioned the same thing. There's a mod Doug Little passed around some years back where resistors on the Falcon video output are replaced to improve display. Might be worth looking into. It's probably been done years ago, some things just come round full circle :)

Also purchased an NEC MultiSync EA241WM. That went for $128.00, it too syncs down to 15kHz easily. Using that on the desk with the TT and Falcon/SuperVidel.

Wish the Dell U2410 would sync down to 15kHz. It's a fantastic monitor. DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, Composite and S-Video inputs (NTSC/PAL), USB hub and card reader built in too. Composite/S-video is displayed in it's own window, AIRC, can be sized to full screen.

• 2 years later...

Indeed the NEC MultiSync LCD1970V-BK 19" LCD works fine at "RGB" 15kHz. It's a nice workbench size, all versions of Atari can be connected without swapping between an SC1224 and VGA for a TT or Falcon when needed. Paid $19.00 on fleebay for it. Display isn't like a CRT, but nice to be able to pick it up at my age. Actually, the ST/MegaST/MegaSTE display looks the best. Think it's a personal visual thing knowing what the Falcon looks like on a CRT. The TT has vertical banding, it's not just with this monitor. The guy building the TTL adapter for the TT mentioned the same thing. There's a mod Doug Little passed around some years back where resistors on the Falcon video output are replaced to improve display. Might be worth looking into. It's probably been done years ago, some things just come round full circle :)

Also purchased an NEC MultiSync EA241WM. That went for $128.00, it too syncs down to 15kHz easily. Using that on the desk with the TT and Falcon/SuperVidel.

Wish the Dell U2410 would sync down to 15kHz. It's a fantastic monitor. DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, Composite and S-Video inputs (NTSC/PAL), USB hub and card reader built in too. Composite/S-video is displayed in it's own window, AIRC, can be sized to full screen.

Someone on facebook group posted a picture of the U2410 running on a ubeswitch at St low res.. so there is you 15k... was this also tested by others by now? Looking to buy them used for about $100 .. can use for everything from tv and movies to Atari.

James

Picking up one of these on the weekend. Locally $100 CDN .. which I think is pretty fair.

This will be my everything monitor.. I can run my android tv box.. modern computer, retro computers.. everything through this :) and get very sharp colour and resolution for the newer stuff.

James