IGNORED

What's the absolute best way to clean cardboard game boxes?

Hey everyone,

I've been researching this topic for some time now, but still haven't come to the best conclusion. What I'd like to know is.... what is the best way to wipe clean your retro video game boxes to get rid of dirt and grime.

Sticker and marker are probably going to stay there forever, I'll just have to accept that. My question is..What's the best method to remove surface dirt & grime without damaging the box?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated! ;-)

Edited by retromangia

I've taken LOTS of stickers off of cardboard boxes with Goo Gone, with no noticeable artifacts. Same thing with marker using 99% alcohol.

Cardboard with a shiny surface tends to be most resistant to damage. However, sometimes it CAN discolor, or even remove the ink completely.

There are so many different inks and paper combinations out there that you can't be sure what's going to happen until you try it. It just depends on how much of a risk you are willing to tolerate (some collectors buy two of everything just in case!)

• Like 1

Thanks Fiddle, but I've just had too many bad experiences with goo gone. It's strong stuff, and definitely has it's purpose. I mostly use it for plastic DVD cases and it works great on those.

For Cardboard, I'm contemplating using Windex Electronic wipes... they're ammonia free, and have less chemicals then the normal Windex Window wipes. They're also just damp enough which i like.

Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/Windex-9154352-Electronics-Wipes-25-Count/dp/B004GCUJWM

Anyone else use wipes?... thoughts please! ;-)

Edited by retromangia

I've actually used lemon furniture polish on my game cases for YEARS. It's really quite versatile for general cleaning and sticker/goo removal. For cardboard and paper, you'll want to apply it to a rag and press the rag into itself before using it, so you don't apply too much moisture. Also, get a nice polish, something that foams up- it works better.

If the box is "protected" (glossy effect) I use a product we have here that is called "essence F" which is akin to lighter gas. Naphta seems to be an equivalent. It's super efficient on glue residus.

It's not to be used on non-laminated/varnished boxes and stickers, because it will bleach the colors. Not as much as bleaching, but enough to look like sunfade.

Pastels%2002.JPG

Edited by CatPix

I find that to remove dust, use a clean cloth. For stickers, depends on the sticker, as I've had stickers that literally fall of to the touch, and others that wouldn't come off if you froze it. Marker, I don't know, as I've never encountered a box with marker on it. Tape, good luck getting that off with anything.

It just depends on the box and the adhesive. I use goo gone on "SOME" boxes. Only glossy boxes will I bother cleaning. The best way to remove a sticker with goo gone is dependent on the sticker: if sticker has layers at all peel off the top layer FIRST! Then apply goo gone over the entire sticker and let soak a little then peel back. If no layer just soak sticker w/out peeling. If you soak sticker and the sticker does not absorb the goo gone, well you know you need to peel back a layer.

Then if needed while you are peeling back goo gone w/ a q-tip under the sticker while you are peeling. Use this method for tape as well. Marker I don't bother. It is just a bad idea to scrub cardboard. If it is glossy you could try rubbing alcohol. I would be very hesitant on using anything stronger especially goof off lol.