IGNORED

Apple IIe vs Apple IIe Platinum

eebuckeye

IIRC the Platinum has 128K RAM, 80 column, and double hi-res graphics standard. The IIe, on the other hand, is arguably the definitive Apple II system and can easily be upgraded to the capabilities of a stock Platinum, which are honestly overkill for most Apple II software anyway.

They're both fine systems, and are differences between a Platinum and an expanded IIe are minimal. but personally I prefer the IIe. I guess it comes down to which design aesthetic you prefer, or if you need a numeric pad. :)

• Like 3

I don't think the IIe Platinum has any real advantage over a fully upgraded IIe enhanced other than the numeric keypad. Basically, the platinum is an already maxed out IIe enhanced with a keyboard set-up modified to bring it more in line with the syle used on the Macintosh. If I had to go based by looks, I prefer the regular IIe set-up. If it was me, I'd just keep both.

The platinum //e comes with the 64K/80Column card plugged into the slot for you. Otherwise it is identical in capabilities. In fact, when you buy them on fleabay, you often need to still bring it up to 128K and 80 Columns, because people unplug the card or lose it for whatever reason.

The plat //e has the enhanced firmware, 65c02, and mouse text character gen chip, exactly like the enhanced //e.

The plat //e has far more reliable 2-chip RAM than the 8-chip "regular" or "enhanced" //e does.

Edited by Keatah

Maybe some of the specialty crack EF roms, but they can be modded to fit the platinum. But otherwise I can't think of any, you'll get 99.99% compatibility between standard and plat.

Possibly something with a rare keyboard add-on, but, again, I don't recall any offhand.

Edited by Keatah

The Apple //e had a nicer keyboard, it feels great, wouldn't you agree ?

The one Platinum //e I have feels like the Dark Key board Apple //e's.. Being the Light Keyboard ][e was my first Apple, I am partial to its feel..

MarkO

When you say dark keyboard I'm thinking the earlier // & //+ models. I recall that the //e key board seemed to travel further. I liked the clicky feel of those key switches.

The ][ and ][+ have a different keyboard than the ][e, //c, or ][gs..

All the Apple keyboards felt fairly nice.... The Commodore Keyboards, ( Vic-20, C64 ) felt Spongy with a Sudden Stop at the bottom.. The SX-64 was less Spongy, with the Sudden Stop..

The early Apple ][es, with the Light Colored Keys with White Letters are different than the later Apple ][es with the Dark Colored Keys with Black Letters.. The Platinum seems to have the same key mechanism as the Black Apple ][es..

My favorite is the IBM Type M "clicky keyboards".. I am composing this message on one right now on my work computer... ( Built on 08-DEC-1993, making it 22 and 3 months old... Talk about Classic Computing... ;) )

The c64 keyboard I had back in the day was like hitting bricks in comparison.

It's better than the Sinclair ZX-81 or TS1500. Or TI 99/4....

I have some C64, and C128, and an SX-64 and Tandy CoCos.. The CoCo's feel about like the C64 to me...

MarkO

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
My favorite is the IBM Type M "clicky keyboards".. I am composing this message on one right now on my work computer... ( Built on 08-DEC-1993, making it 22 and 3 months old... Talk about Classic Computing... ;) )

Oftentimes I compose my posts & messages on my Apple II+ or //e and shoot them over to the PC's copy buffer and then simply paste them to post them.

While the message is coming over, at 110 or 300 baud (for vintage realism) I'll be typing the title or getting the message board (atariage for example) ready to paste.

• Like 2

People have already covered the technical aspects pretty thoroughly. Personally, I think aesthetics and numeric keypad are the two biggest differentiators. Speaking personally, I prefer the Platinum design language and color, probably because that's what I grew up lusting after. Those who grew up owning or wanting an original non-platinum are more likely to be nostalgic for that. Either way, they're both great-looking computers and lots of fun - hard to go wrong, assuming they both in equally good condition.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC most (if not all) //e platinum keyboards don't have any reinforcing "I-beam" bars, and therefore tend to develop cracks in solder joints. Got a key not working? Inspect the solder for that switch as a first-line troubleshooting fix.

Thanks for the Tip...

MarkO

• 2 months later...