IGNORED

Who is going to buy the Playstation VR this October?

Bilnick

Scalpers.

Probably some, although Amazon did limit it to one per customer, so they must have multiple accounts open at once. Still, it was like trying to buy a hot concert ticket. Immediate sell-out. Crazy. Hopefully Amazon gets more of a pre-order allocation, but somehow I doubt it will be any different once that happens.

It's fine to not want to adopt the new technology or view it as gimmicky but it's absurd to downright trash this kind of technology as not being worth $400. I suppose it's hard to appreciate if you don't understand that we've evolved from $10,000 arcade machines from Virtuality that could barely do a 4th of this resolution, not to mention headset weight, while offering stimulating visuals that people have been dreaming of for many decades now.

Why has everyone become so negative and under-appreciative at the excessive amount of technology at our disposal? I ranted about an iPhone SE having only 16GB of storage momentarily and being able to take 4k video being $399 (which seems kind of strange considering the upgrade paths) but then I gave myself a reality check and realized I was wrong. I was being ridiculous and people are just taking everything for granted. So many seem to expect games for free or next to nothing because everyone has grown accustom to ad-based gaming and in-app purchases... Sony is releasing what is most likely the best looking, Daft Punk hi-tech looking Virtual Reality headset for everyone to enjoy at home for under $500 and is even less expensive than owning a high-end gaming PC and everyone is still unhappy and complains.

You can't please everyone and to the ones who don't want to pay for it or shit on it, let them do as they please. Everyone should be a little more grateful at how far we've come, even if it doesn't fancy your interests. The real question is, just how much of a gamer are you? It's like hearing my friends grandfather swear he couldn't tell the difference from a CRT and a LED 1080p HD display - clearly night and day visual difference and delusional stance on not accepting change.

• Like 2

No,I will stick with my Google Cardboard.. :D I don't even have a PS4 only PS3 (waiting for the PS4 to drop down in price,way down)and the PS Vita (its no way as good as the PSP was,not enough physical software on it,to much having to buy the games online which I don't like and I hate there memory cards too,way over priced) I use it mainly for loading games on my C64 or Atari 800XL/130XE,The move controllers are no good for me cos I have arthritis is my arm,I did have one for the PS3 but had to get rid of it for that reason.

It will be a lot more money over here than the US,and I don't have that sort of money anyway,I wish I did.

Just wondered,can you use the VR Headset without the Move Controller..?

Edited by Spanner

Well, i guess anyone looking out for the VR Edition of Club Drive can abandon any such hopes now:

1st MS close Lionhead, now Sony following suit with yet another key UK developer.
And regarding not needing Move...can the camera not just track the light on the PS4 pad then? what's Move doing that's different?.
Honest question as i thought only reason Move had the light was for decent tracking by the camera as it was easier to follow.

I preordered mine yesterday. I've been a Rift owner for some time now and I'm really excited for these consumer HMDs. My fingers are crossed that my new Rift ships next week, then the Vive should follow in May, with the PSVR hitting in Oct. It's going to be a fun year!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd definitely be interested in getting it, even at the price point.

I know a lot of people said it was high, and even cited the price of the JagVR and Sega VR devices, but two things, one, those devices NEVER officially got released, (probably due to price, actually) and two, those devices were fancy 3D video displays, they didn't even track movement as far as I'm aware. Sure, you can track movement a LOT cheaper, but it'll be a LOT less accurate.

I to wonder about the move, as far as I'm aware, it's just a fancy remote with a light, but the stock PS4 controller also has motion sensors and a light.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow lot of negativity here without any one really trying it. I got mine on pre order and going to snag it release day. I'm also a user of the PlayStation forums as well. Its not on the front page any more due to age but there's a huge list of stuff being worked on and made for PS VR. Starting with simple demos to full games. Games like Drive club and even Fall out are talking adding stuff for VR users and the headset hasn't even released yet, Before we say its gonna stink and what not. Lets all give it a chance. fro the some price is high. Just wait on reviews and see what the public officially says. For the others that feel it will have no support or due to how big it is. To me that's an excuse not to look at one. No i'm not saying go out and buy one day one. but thinking like that if it is decent to good. You may miss out on some great games. Im keeping a very open mind on this. I have a feeling its gonna be quite a nice addition to the PlayStation family. Something to think about seeing PS P and Vita comment. PSP had tons of games tons and no not every game planned for a console always gets made. Far as the Vita Sony clearly said they went in the wrong direction with it. Also tons of 3rd party DEVs just refuse to develop for it. This is why it gets o few big games. They were after phone tablet stuff all in one with the vita but the newer phones just did it easier faster better and cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok -- I tried it and I'm in love. I liked the Rift, the Vive made me kind of sick but I absolutely love this and I'm torn because I'm more of a PC gamer.

post-985-0-84453900-1467564720_thumb.jpg

Even took a night/day to rest on the idea and I still want it. The headset looks even cooler in person than it does in the photos (here, allow me to post a photo anyway lol) and is so lightweight and responsive, you don't even realize you're wearing the headset after about a minute into the game play. The menu screen for Battlezone came up and I "eww'd" at first but it was just that, a menu/loading screen with very frontal view and a lot of black empty space around it. Then once the game actually loaded, I was blown away with the FOV and game completely surrounding me!

Sony has a winner on their hands and I'm in.

960 by 1080 resolution per eye and it really worked without a hiccup at all regarding how it tracked your head movement - I was truly impressed and shocked at just how well it works! My favorite part? Probably the way the headset mounts to your head - it's so seamless and the front cushion/blockout that presses against the area around your eyes was so smooth and natural - you really have to experience it first hand to know what I mean, but this is the best possible solution for head mountable VR but I haven't had a chance to play with the consumer released Rift which appears to have the backing support with the strap on top. Still, that appears to be a little more tricky looking. The PSVR just felt so natural, I keep emphasizing.

Now to scramble with a pre-order and do more homework on this Neo version of PS4 and whatnot to see where I'm going to end up later this year...

Did I mention how awesome it was? =D ... and playing Atari's Battlezone in VR made by Rebellion!

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 3

Ok -- I tried it and I'm in love. I liked the Rift, the Vive made me kind of sick but I absolutely love this and I'm torn because I'm more of a PC gamer.

attachicon.gifpsvr.jpg

Even took a night/day to rest on the idea and I still want it. The headset looks even cooler in person than it does in the photos (here, allow me to post a photo anyway lol) and is so lightweight and responsive, you don't even realize you're wearing the headset after about a minute into the game play. The menu screen for Battlezone came up and I "eww'd" at first but it was just that, a menu/loading screen with very frontal view and a lot of black empty space around it. Then once the game actually loaded, I was blown away with the FOV and game completely surrounding me!

Sony has a winner on their hands and I'm in.

960 by 1080 resolution per eye and it really worked without a hiccup at all regarding how it tracked your head movement - I was truly impressed and shocked at just how well it works! My favorite part? Probably the way the headset mounts to your head - it's so seamless and the front cushion/blockout that presses against the area around your eyes was so smooth and natural - you really have to experience it first hand to know what I mean, but this is the best possible solution for head mountable VR but I haven't had a chance to play with the consumer released Rift which appears to have the backing support with the strap on top. Still, that appears to be a little more tricky looking. The PSVR just felt so natural, I keep emphasizing.

Now to scramble with a pre-order and do more homework on this Neo version of PS4 and whatnot to see where I'm going to end up later this year...

Did I mention how awesome it was? =D ... and playing Atari's Battlezone in VR made by Rebellion!

I saw a review on the PS VR and they made the same comments.....they preferred this one over the others.

I'm really trying NOT to want this but I seriously want to play BATTLEZONE. Someone needs to do Star Wars Battle of Hoth game or something.

I checked for pre-orders but they are sold out again which may be a blessing. I can't seem to pull the trigger on this. $$$

• Like 1

Nice review, so far all the ones i've read seem to say that Sony are going to kill it with their approach to VR.

I got a call from the store I pre-ordered from the other day, they've bumped my pre-order up into the release day bunch, sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

There are only two things i'm looking forward to this year, the PlayStationVR and No Man's Sky, hopefully the latter becomes compatible with the former down the line.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was able to try one last weekend and was blown away. I tried London Heist and I absolutely loved how intuitive it was with the move controllers (loading clips into gun etc). I just hope that Sony will support it and not abandon it like the vita, eye toy and move.

• Like 1