IGNORED

Who's still interested in buying an Incognito for their 800?

tep392

What's the demand for a new run of Incognito boards.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many Incognito boards would you buy?

• I would buy One
    • I would buy Two
    • I would buy Three
    • I would buy Four and then some.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I started this poll to get a feeling for how much demand there is for another Incognito run. I'm hoping there is enough that we could convince Candle to start another run. I have one 800 so I'm good for one.

I don't think its a matter of convincing him, he just has no time anymore.

Growing family and work trumps hobby projects.

Well as far as price is concerned, only Candle could answer that. We should assume it would be somewhere between the price of the last batch and the $295 one just sold for on Ebay. That's all we can do for now. If there is enough interest, then the producer of the board, either Candle or someone he approves of would have to work out the actual price. If Candle is too busy, then may he would allow someone like Lotharek to produce them. We need to start with judging interest, which is the purpose of this poll.

I just had a look at the run#3 thread. Candle needed 40 orders to produce them economically and it seems that was a tough target to hit. They eventually did and they were sold for $89 each. I have a bad feeling that we won't hit 40 in this poll. Have to also consider that some of the people saying they will buy one will back out. We'll see what happens.

Maybe people are afraid of the install in their 800? I did mine, and I suck at these things. I didn't have to cut holes or anything, and could easily remove it if I wanted to return to stock. I voted for 2, although I have 4 800s at home that I would love to put an Incognito in. If it comes down to it, I would buy 4 to make it happen. But I don't see us hitting 200...

What I like most about it is it makes the 800 a self-contained computer and mass storage device. Nothing hanging off the back or the sides, just the 800 and tons of goodness (I have a 16GB card in mine. Why? I have no idea. :-) This is not an option for any other Atari machine (unless you go the MyIDE route and U1M, but that's a lot more complicated and expensive).

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about that. No need to build them in someones basement. I don't know that we would need to make 200 for it to be economical. Unless there someone willing to take the risk and put up money, we would need to do this with pre-orders. So identify some possible suppliers, quote the job at various volumes. Get commitment from the buyers and do pre-order, order and ship. And if someone wants to invest in some excess inventory to support future demand, they are welcome to it. It looks like Candle is willing to license his design. So there's nothing to stop us except possibly cost.

I voted for buying one but that would depend on three things.

1. Final price

2. If I can find 800 in good condition and at a reasonable price. They pop up from time to time and I'm patent.

3. If my wife will let another computer in the house before we move. She keeps saying something about we're trying to get rid of junk, not bring more in but I don't really understand what she means. Maybe someone can decipher that cryptic statement. :grin:

I do plan to get an 800 at some point since it was my first computer and because I just love the looks of them. Hopefully this will take a little time so that I'll have time to make more room for more computer. MORE COMPUTERS!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

We could license it and have 200 produced professionally. It would take agreement from him and a coordinated group of folks here with a leader and some money.

Im surprised things like this arent done already, some really great products out there and typically a short window to even raise your hand when a batch is being made. Bryans excellent video upgrade will be sold in the atariage store here soon, maybe this is another project that could end up there..

I realize not every mod or invention has been successful, but just lately there have been a few where demand definately has outstripped supply, the ultimate sd is one such example. In half a day there is interest for 30 incognitos, and the other atari communities and forums dont even know about it.

• Like 1