IGNORED

New to jaguar

Ricbeat

Not sure what to go for next?! Any thoughts?

Go get your money back. :P

But seriously, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier, Alien Vs. Predator, NBA Jam, and Raiden are pretty cool Jaguar games. You'll see them mentioned by pretty much anyone who replies to this thread. :)

And welcome!

• Like 2

Since you ask, I made it easy for all new comers to get to the core of the hobby, and to thin their wallet fast:

If you cook it down to the absolute essential core of games:

Being around not that long, but haven't heard anything (that) bad about these games.
The big-five carts, that *everyone* consider essential (eiter: good game/and-or collector hot item):
-Tempest 2000
-Alien vs Predator
-Doom
-Super burnout
-Iron soldier
Jag CD:
-Battlemorph
-Hover strike: 2nd...
(-World tour racing)
(-Iron soldier 2)
Best platform:
-Rayman
Best shmup:
-Raiden
Best fighter:
-Ultra vortek
(Also essential racer:
-Atari Karts)
Sports:
-NBA Jam
(-Brutal sports football)
System's Holy grail:
-Battlesphere
Late release/homebrew top-notch:
-Another world
-Protector SE
Some borderliners set within: (...)

Gotta catch 'em all!
End of message. Lock thread. :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246618-the-absolute-essential-jaguar-games/?hl=+essential

Not everyone agrees 100% with me, but the list is true - and nothing but the truth - no matter what "they" say. :D

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 1

You've seen some great suggestions about the greatest hits of the platform (T2000, AVP, Iron Soldier...). Certainly get those first!

That being said, there are some games I always seem to go back to and play regularly, that almost certainly won't otherwise get a mention in this thread:

Zoop - easily found, not expensive, and much, much better than Flip Out. Easily wins the Tetris manic/fast puzzler title for the Jag.

Power Drive Rally - can be pricey, but I find it to be lots of fun, best racer on the platform IMHO (never loved Super Burnout)

Rayman - already mentioned once, and usually pricey, but it's the best platformer on the Jag by a large margin, possibly the best looking title on the Jag

Troy Aikman Football - Not a ton of great sports titles for the Jag, and most people would argue that NBA or Sensible Soccer holds the top spot here, but not me. I find this to be a very playable (though not technically super impressive) game. If you like football, you'll have some fun here. Not so often seen, but not expensive when they do pop up.

Cannon Fodder - Not sure what you'd call this genre, but if you never played this on Amiga, you're in for a treat. Has stood up well to the test of time. You could see this being released today as an indie game and doing pretty well. Works better with a mouse IMHO than the Jag's controller, but you quickly get used to it. Bonus: cheap and easy to find

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by belucid

I dunno, I didn't think Zoop was that easy to get, at least not CIB. Certainly not as easy as a lot of the other games.

That could be... but certainly a lot easier (read as cheaper) than even games that sold a lot better like AvP, T2000, Rayman. I don't think it gets its due as a fun arcade/puzzler.

Speaking of hard/easy to get, and how many sold, are there any resources for how many copies of each Jaguar game were made? That'd be fascinating to see.

Since you ask, I made it easy for all new comers to get to the core of the hobby, and to thin their wallet fast:If you cook it down to the absolute essential core of games:

Being around not that long, but haven't heard anything (that) bad about these games.

The big-five carts, that *everyone* consider essential (eiter: good game/and-or collector hot item):

-Tempest 2000

-Alien vs Predator

-Doom

-Super burnout

-Iron soldier

Jag CD:

-Battlemorph

-Hover strike: 2nd...

(-World tour racing)

(-Iron soldier 2)

Best platform:

-Rayman

Best shmup:

-Raiden

Best fighter:

-Ultra vortek

(Also essential racer:

-Atari Karts)

Sports:

-NBA Jam

(-Brutal sports football)

System's Holy grail:

-Battlesphere

Late release/homebrew top-notch:

-Another world

-Protector SE

Some borderliners set within: (...)

Gotta catch 'em all!

End of message. Lock thread. :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246618-the-absolute-essential-jaguar-games/?hl=+essential

Not everyone agrees 100% with me, but the list is true - and nothing but the truth - no matter what "they" say. :D

I Absolutely agree with you :)

• Like 1

I dunno, I didn't think Zoop was that easy to get, at least not CIB. Certainly not as easy as a lot of the other games.

It's only $30 new from B&C, which puts it in/around the going rate on EBay for used copies.

I'd agree with most selections here, though I wouldn't consider Atari Karts an essential racer, definitely not at its going rate. There are plenty of other titles to pick up for less that'll give you more enjoyment IMO.

If you're into homebrew, be sure to get on all the pre-order lists as well.

• Like 1

For me Tempest 2k, Raiden, Rayman, Cannon Fodder, Zool2,Wolfenstein, Missile Command 3D and Super Burnout are pretty nice titles. I think AvP is WAY overrated though. It plays like and dungen crawler with a useless map, almost no sounds and every corridor looks the same, pretty snoozy IMHO. The best game is probably rayman but that title is way cheaper for other platforms. In all honesty the Jag is more a curiosity to collect for more than to play for. Most of its library is pretty subpar and even the famous names like double dragon gets the worst versions ported to the jag strangely enough! Still there is something wierdly satisfying with playing Jag... it's just such an odd console....

I agree with everything said,

My Top 10 For Games that are under $80(wow if you started 2 years ago Rayman use to be a $50 game)

1)Tempest 2k

2)Super Burnout

3)Power Drive Rally

4)NBA JAM

5)Wolf 3D

6)DOOM

7)Protector SE

8)Missile Command 3D

9)Defender 2K

10)Theme Park

11)Cannon Fodder

12)Raiden

Normally Cheap Games that are OK:

Trevor McFur, Bubsy, Cybermorph, Flip Out, Zoop, Pinball Fantasies, Ruiner Pinball, Fight For Life, Hover Strike

Awful Games, normally Cheap:

Checkerd Flag, Supercross 3D, Double Dragon 5, Dragon,

Your problem is you will end up on E-Bay to get games and prices have went up, the good news is that alot of games can be got for $5 to $50, then you will get into $80 games and will have to decide is Soccer Kid, Rayman, Atari Karts to expensive when better versions of the same game or similar games are on other consoles. The good news id the Jag library is under 80 games so finding most of them is not hard. Also the age of the system helps in that every game looking 64bit will not define love or friends mocking you for a large portion of games that SNES/GENESIS did the same or better versions of.

I just want to give a shout out at Kasumi Ninja as well. For every awful game Atari published this one is really good for a laugh or two, actually one of my most played Jag games. I've heard Club Drive kinda has the same effect but I've never played that. If you can get it cheap then I would recommend it

• Like 1

Games I'd recommend (outside of the ports) would be:

Some fun, well polished game that have aged well (for retro games at least!)
Super Burnout (since you already have it)
Iron Soldier
Tempest 2000
Battlemorph (Jaguar CD)

If you have the patience to deal with the learning curve for a unique experience:
Zero 5
Defender 2000

Good additions to the library
Missile Command 3D- One of the best looking Jaguar games, above average game play
Alien VS Predator- Great game for its time, although the genre has evolved a lot (plus much of the game looks the same due to lack of texture variety)
Battlesphere Gold- Well polished space shooter with several different modes of play

Edited by Willard