IGNORED

Ok... Seriously Tempted by VR

MotoRacer

I'm seriously considering pre-ordering an Oculus Rift. Which is odd, as I haven't really been excited about it until this point.

But I have to say, I like that you get two free games, one of which is EVE which looks fantastic. That and two of my favorite PC games, Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars are supported day one. Space ship shooters and racers are two genres that are my favorites, and also probably would benefit the most from VR.

Racing games especially need the ability to look around the corner. And considering it's very hard to use the right joystick to move the camera while trying to steer and control the throttle, it would work much better just to move your head.

I do worry about the Vive being a better option in the end, though I don't need nor ever see myself walking around in my room. It's also a disaster waiting to happen. I know, with my luck, I'd walk a bit too far, and my usb cord would knock my new PC off the desk, haha. Vive is backed by Valve, and while their game selection at the moment is.... well, crap... I think it'll get much better as time goes one. Oculus' is far better, at least right now, and at least according to my taste in games. Both VR sets seem very upgradable for the future, and I don't see them becoming so obsolete that they're useless anytime soon, unlike PS VR which will die either when Sony pulls the plug like any other failed endeavor of theirs, or when the PS4 dies in 2-3 more years.

The Oculus seems to serve my purposes, while the motion controllers come out for free later in the year (if you pre-order the system) when the Vive would be out anyway. I guess I don't see too many downsides.

It's weird I'm even considering this. Maybe it's just because I have the funds, so trying it out doesn't seem like such a stressful endeavor. Anyone else tempted? With four guaranteed games I want to play at launch, all either free or ones I already own, it seems like enough software to give it a go.

Thoughts?

I will be getting a VR headset later this year.

Currently I prefer the Vive but I haven't pre-ordered yet.

I've read that Valve will make their VR SDK work with any headset but Rift games wont be compatible with the Vive. I'm sure it wont take long for there to be a solution to this, like how I can use my Google Cardboard as a DIY headset for Rift games.

• Like 1

I will be getting a VR headset later this year.

Currently I prefer the Vive but I haven't pre-ordered yet.

I've read that Valve will make their VR SDK work with any headset but Rift games wont be compatible with the Vive. I'm sure it wont take long for there to be a solution to this, like how I can use my Google Cardboard as a DIY headset for Rift games.

I wasn't aware of this. I wasn't married to any kit per say, just trying to figure out what's best for me. The price of the Vive is a bit on the high side for a risk, and for features I won't use. Though, the part that makes me really nervous is just simply the lack of interesting titles announced so far.

If it's guaranteed it'll be able to play the currently exclusive Eve and Project Cars (I know Elite will work on both), then I'll be more prone to consider the Vive. I don't like the lightbox technology to be honest, and I like the more complete look of the Oculus (especially the built in earphones), but I suppose those are small details. I guess at this point, the biggest thing is library. It makes me nervous to spend more on a kit that has less games. Maybe they'll announce more in the next month or two? I mean, it's Valve... I'm not worried about future support. But I don't want to buy a VR kit day one to do bugger all with it for the first few months. Ya know?

I know the smart person in me is telling me to wait to see which "wins", but the impatient 90's kid inside me is saying "bitch, I've waited three decades for this crap, buy buy buy!". Haha :)

Edited by MotoRacer

The barrier for me for Oculus or Vive is the high powered PC. I have a pretty solid i5 setup with a nice enough graphics card to beat the current consoles, and that is fine for now. No plans to spend $1k+ on a super nice rig.

Since I have a PS4, I may just go for the Playstation VR, since it's not super pricey at $400. I will likely wait for reviews. I'm sure VR will eventually be THE thing, but it's a question of whether we are 1 year or 5 years away from that. I like being an early adopter.

I'm not saying VR is for everyone, or that it's the best thing ever, but it does interest me as a gamer.

• Like 1

I'm going to do what I did for 3D accelerators, 3D tv and high res video ... Wait for the market to settle down, for prices to drop and a clear winner to emerge from the competition. Think about second or third wave hardware, which could be better and cheaper. Or watch it all collapse because of high prices and soft demand.

In the meantime I have a Viewmaster VR thing that plays the Google Cardboard software. Neat, but since I barely have the time to play standard view games, the head-mounted apparatus isn't in my future.

As someone who has had recent neck surgery due to disc problems, I wonder about the health effects of these things. It's definitely not for me but long-term use of these things don't seem like the healthiest thing a person could do.

The headsets are all very light. If someone had neck surgery, they shouldn't be doing any straining movement, but if they've healed up I doubt any of the three sets would hurt them.

And I don't get all the comparisons to 3dtv. There was never as much interest in 3dtv, nor anywhere near as much media to play on them. I remember my local target had 3D bluerays of Tron and avatar....and that was it. And they cost about thirty bucks more than a typical movie.

Pre-order sales on both PC vr units are selling through, games cost no more than any other game, old games can get free updates to play with vr sets (think Project Cars), there are a ton of vr games available on release date and by the end of the year, etc. Yes, it's expensive, but I'm not sure that alone will be enough to stop the interest.

Especially not 30-something year old gamers (and older), who have been patiently waiting for vr for decades and have the cash to pay for it, unlike say, a 10 year old kid. And I think for the kids, once there's a price drop ( and I bet you, because it's Sony, there will be one within a year), the psvr will serve that market.

Edited by MotoRacer

I think the next series of Nvidia cards will come with a port to connect a VR headset. I'll probably wait for that, everytime I tried VR I was disappointed at the lag. But I'm tempted.

Not long ago I got a "VR Box" headset which is a slightly better Google Cardboard. With a Note4 as screen it isn't very amazing, but fun to try out at least. I need to find better apps for it.

I'm sure I'm going to end up using VR to play a 2D retro game in a virtual world. :D

• Like 1

To be honest VR doesn't really make my pants tight. I get the point behind it, but it just isn't something I care about. Only reason I would want one is to play driving/flying games so I can look around without a mouse, and I can get the same effect with a TrackIR or even a DIY solution.

• Like 1

Personally feel like there are far too many headsets trying to enter the market at once for a piece of the action. I was sold on the Rift forever but the price and design of the PSVR is quite appealing. Then there's the StarVR which is really interesting because of the FOV and what appears to be the highest resolution unit available - yet TBD though since the commercial version of Rift hasn't arrived yet. It's going to be a wait and see. Not sure why people are interested in the Vive...

• Like 1

The ps vr set is by far the most aesthetically pleasing. I agree there. It's just the specs would likely make me sick. And it's tied only to a console, at least for right now.

I'll say this though. The robot / fps / basketball hybrid game they have looks really cool.

But like with any system, I go for library. Again, the reason why I'm concerned about the vive.

The ps vr set is by far the most aesthetically pleasing. I agree there. It's just the specs would likely make me sick. And it's tied only to a console, at least for right now.

I'll say this though. The robot / fps / basketball hybrid game they have looks really cool.

But like with any system, I go for library. Again, the reason why I'm concerned about the vive.

Having the PSVR open to cross-platform use, especially as a lower cost PC option to the Rift, would be a really great idea on their part. Universal out of the gates would be huge for them but like most gaming companies, they want to ensure sales of the PS4 platform so by restricting it, I guess the assumption would be that they'll be doing better and push more PS4 sales.

I'm a huge fan of VR. I owned an Oculus Rift DK2 and have both the consumer Rift and HTC Vive pre-ordered. I'm disappointed that Oculus dropped the ball on their VR controllers though. It's a big gap at the moment, as VR controllers make a huge difference to the overall experience.

Just keep in mind that PC based virtual reality requires a pretty powerful system. The system requirements posted by Oculus\HTC are to provide developers with a baseline to develop against, which means that there will be VR experiences where those requirements will be the minimum. Don't invest in the Rift or Vive if you don't meet these requirements, thinking that you'll still squeeze by. You'll be highly disappointed if you do.

I had a nice couple hour session with a friend's Rift DK (2?) not too long ago. I was genuinely impressed. I'm not sure if I will buy into it until it's cheap though. Even then, I'm not sure how often I will use it. I think it's going to be one of the things I'll "have to be in the mood" to use (the headset was a little cumbersome).

I think this misses one huge fact: many games are being made strictly for VR and are not just VR versions of other games. There is a lot of room to create new VR-only genres, and I think that is where success will come.

I think social and VR is huge growth area. Not social networking, but shared play experiences with people in the same room. We are working on game in genre right now.

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 1

And I don't get all the comparisons to 3dtv. There was never as much interest in 3dtv, nor anywhere near as much media to play on them. I remember my local target had 3D bluerays of Tron and avatar....and that was it. And they cost about thirty bucks more than a typical movie.

Pre-order sales on both PC vr units are selling through, games cost no more than any other game, old games can get free updates to play with vr sets (think Project Cars), there are a ton of vr games available on release date and by the end of the year, etc. Yes, it's expensive, but I'm not sure that alone will be enough to stop the interest.

Especially not 30-something year old gamers (and older), who have been patiently waiting for vr for decades and have the cash to pay for it, unlike say, a 10 year old kid. And I think for the kids, once there's a price drop ( and I bet you, because it's Sony, there will be one within a year), the psvr will serve that market.

Obviously you're really into this, which is cool, and I hope you enjoy the early adoption scene. You've got your pro-VR goggles on and have made up your mind. It's your money and it sounds as though this is something you've wanted for a long time.

On the other hand, I don't really care a bit about this tech so if anything, I've got anti-VR goggles on and only see the negatives. I disagree with you about 3DTV, because I think the general appeal of 3DTV was greater than the non-nerd demographic demand for VR is now. I think that anyone buying a v.1 set in 2016 is getting into this tech at the CD-i and 3DO stage in 1993. Even if the launch Rift, Vibe, and PSVR are amazing at launch, there's going to be an even better v.2 that is more akin to the Playstation in 1995, with ALL the library and ALL the users and anyone left with the old one may be scrambling to update.

I was all into iOS and the iPad at launch, while there were people like (I am being with VR) about touch and tablets. Apple and everyone else iterated the hell out of the technology, so now there's a great range of devices you can buy, with different degrees of quality and compatibility. The point of entry is crazy low ($50 Kindle Fire is not so bad) and many of the experiences are the same across different devices. It took 5 years to get to that point, even moving quickly, so getting what you want makes sense. If you want it, which you do, which is cool!

I should be getting my Oculus Rift fairly soon after they begin shipping, as I ordered within the first 10 minutes.

Had a DK2 and loved it. We had a few gatherings at the house and I gave demos to our friends, and everyone was very positive about it.

Sitting inside a spaceship in Elite: Dangerous has to be seen to be believed.

• Like 3

Obviously you're really into this, which is cool, and I hope you enjoy the early adoption scene. You've got your pro-VR goggles on and have made up your mind. It's your money and it sounds as though this is something you've wanted for a long time.

On the other hand, I don't really care a bit about this tech so if anything, I've got anti-VR goggles on and only see the negatives. I disagree with you about 3DTV, because I think the general appeal of 3DTV was greater than the non-nerd demographic demand for VR is now. I think that anyone buying a v.1 set in 2016 is getting into this tech at the CD-i and 3DO stage in 1993. Even if the launch Rift, Vibe, and PSVR are amazing at launch, there's going to be an even better v.2 that is more akin to the Playstation in 1995, with ALL the library and ALL the users and anyone left with the old one may be scrambling to update.

I was all into iOS and the iPad at launch, while there were people like (I am being with VR) about touch and tablets. Apple and everyone else iterated the hell out of the technology, so now there's a great range of devices you can buy, with different degrees of quality and compatibility. The point of entry is crazy low ($50 Kindle Fire is not so bad) and many of the experiences are the same across different devices. It took 5 years to get to that point, even moving quickly, so getting what you want makes sense. If you want it, which you do, which is cool!

If I miscommunicated, I really am sorry. I haven't actually pre-ordered anything. As much as I'm interested (hence the thread title.. im tempted), I'm being held back. There is enough doubt, for sure, either with how many games we'll get or which headset to go with, to instill doubt.

And I guess it's different opinions regarding 3DTVs. I didn't know anyone who thought it was a good idea. There was no media to play on the tv, there was no push from any movie makers to make it "a thing", and most people then (and even still today) see 3d as an unnecessary gimmick for movies to make a few more bucks per ticket. I see a much stronger push for VR, and frankly, a lot more possibilities with the technology.

But who knows, and I'll admit, it's definitely NOT for everyone. I don't think it'll be like DVD players where everyone and their grandma gets one. But even from a marketing perspective, where VR is EVERYWHERE right now, even being used by food companies and such to promote their product, it's a hot new thing that everyone is at least interested in. I just don't see it being one of those "we have no reason for you to replace your hdtvs, so ... um... here we added this thing, so go buy it!" type of marketing pushes where people see through the bullshit.

I should be getting my Oculus Rift fairly soon after they begin shipping, as I ordered within the first 10 minutes.

Had a DK2 and loved it. We had a few gatherings at the house and I gave demos to our friends, and everyone was very positive about it.

Sitting inside a spaceship in Elite: Dangerous has to be seen to be believed.

That's one of my favorite PC games. It's been a while since I've played it as the last computer wasn't good enough to play it. I think it'll be a lot of fun playing where the camera can easily be moved around. That was definitely one thing that was difficult with just a HOTAS.

Having the PSVR open to cross-platform use, especially as a lower cost PC option to the Rift, would be a really great idea on their part. Universal out of the gates would be huge for them but like most gaming companies, they want to ensure sales of the PS4 platform so by restricting it, I guess the assumption would be that they'll be doing better and push more PS4 sales.

Yeah, I don't see them making the PS VR compatible on the PC. And if they do, it's actually not really cheaper. Let's say it was available on pc.. which would you choose?:

PS VR $400, PS Camera $60, PS Move controllers $100 (not sure which are needed, so it's best to have a navigator and two ice cream cones)

Oculus $600, comes with controller, motion controllers when they ship later in the year, and head tracking hardware.

At best that's 550 vs 600. And the Oculus comes with two games, and has much better tech.

I think Sony can justify the high price because it's the only way for PS4 players to play. They knock off some devices from the bundle you might already have to make it look cheaper, and call it a day.

As far as the Vive goes, they REALLY need to announce some damned software. All these pre-orders are up... they need to show off more mainstream game compatibility. I have a weird feeling that while the Vive is better in many ways, a combination of the price, software, and mainstream "brand recognition" of the Oculus (especially with their venture with Samsung), will be a huge hurdle for them. That being said, I hope that neither Oculus or Vive have too many exclusives. No one in their right mind will buy both to play all available software. They both should be able to play the same stuff for the most part. It should be price and hardware that makes users pick between the two. Not sure if that'll be the case though. ILM just showed off a Star Wars experience that looks to be exclusive to the Vive.

Tis the problem with early adoption, I suppose. It's all speculation and risk vs reward. I could be completely wrong and bye bye cash, haha.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2

No biggie, we don't disagree. It sounds like you're excited for it but waiting to see what happens, and I'm bleh about it but waiting to see what happens.

I have a silly habit of buying things even if I feel half-assed about it, so it's possible I might jump into this before you.

VR totally seems like gimmicky bullshit to me, like the Wii waggle remotes, Kinect motion control, 3D visuals on the 3DS, 3G networking on the launch Vita (WTF was that?) ...

If you don't recall how 3DTV was hyped, take a look back at 2009/2010 news, when it was the darling of Consumer Electronics Show, just as VR is today.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-3-d-future-television-78559

No matter your feelings or interest, this TIME cover did the concept no favors

mLCbAj3pb4kr.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Even when it was hot, 3DTV's value was questioned by everyone.

$(KGrHqEOKo4E1ruwCdO0BNlpC4Nujg~~_35.JPG

I don't think it's going to be like color TV.

dc3de0aa863597eb51fa65cd4c9d5e0f.jpg

No biggie, we don't disagree. It sounds like you're excited for it but waiting to see what happens, and I'm bleh about it but waiting to see what happens.

I have a silly habit of buying things even if I feel half-assed about it, so it's possible I might jump into this before you.

VR totally seems like gimmicky bullshit to me, like the Wii waggle remotes, Kinect motion control, 3D visuals on the 3DS, 3G networking on the launch Vita (WTF was that?) ...

If you don't recall how 3DTV was hyped, take a look back at 2009/2010 news, when it was the darling of Consumer Electronics Show, just as VR is today.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-3-d-future-television-78559

No matter your feelings or interest, this TIME cover did the concept no favors

Even when it was hot, 3DTV's value was questioned by everyone.

I don't think it's going to be like color TV.

To be fair, I don't think anything will be like color tv, ever again. Not 4K, not VR, not whatever replaces blu-ray. I mean, technically, you could have a TV and streaming movies and you're pretty much set. I see all these products as offshoots for niche markets.

And yeah, we do agree more than anything. And I totally know what you mean about the buying things you're only slightly interested in. I did that with the Vita, and got burned on that. Come to think of it, I did that on the Wii and Move as well, haha. Ah well.

I think I see more worth in VR just because it solves some problems in my favorite genres. Then again, that's not the case for everyone.

I do wish the headsets were cheaper so more people could come on board. I think 299 will be the magic price point. Whenever it gets that cheap, I think the mainstream will at least try it. Or maybe that's why the Oculus for Samsung exists, just to bridge that gap.

I keep staring at the checkout page on Oculus' site. But having to wait until July combined with the price... and the fact I haven't seen who will "win" yet, and it's making me not click on the buy button just yet...

I mean, really? July? UGH....

• Like 1

Ok, this might do it for me. Again, Vive support "coming sometime later". Thinking Oculus, at least in the beginning will have more software support...

If anyone knows my Steam account name, you'll understand why this might push me to buy, finally.

Edited by MotoRacer

I would buy one for 10 buck. If it Comes with a bunch of free Software. I think VS will be cool for flight and racing games, or whatever you controll from a Cockpit. Besides that I think it's going to be an "experience" Thing. It won't help the game. But since People love things like Skyrim, I think that Kind of "game" could work great on VR and improve the Immersion.