IGNORED

No Man's Sky

TPA5

I kept looking at this game back when the first E3 announcements and all that came out, and after getting to play it for a while at work in the mornings... ehh? I dunno really what to say - it feels like a walking simulator with survival elements and space mixed in. The visuals are really nice, I'll give it that, and it's enjoyable to just sit back and look at it. My issue comes in with gameplay, after doing the same task over and over and over it got a bit boring so I don't think that I'd exactly have much fun doing it over and over at home. Most of the time I found myself poking rocks to get stuff to survive and managing my fairly small inventory of stuff so I didn't end up dying, and I can't say I'm a fan of that whole way of gameplay.

From co-workers, all I've really been hearing is disappointment - I know a good few people who pre-ordered the game because they assumed it'd be like Elite Dangerous with Horizons and more of a focus on the exploration having all the planets with life on them. This is mainly what I heard from people, everyone had their hopes about how it'd be the true competition to a game like ED and it'd be such an amazing space game, and man if I would've believed that instead of waiting for gameplay I think I'd be pretty mad at paying $60 on a pre-order.

So will I actually buy the game instead of just playing with the copy we slapped on the demo PS4 unit at work? Probably not. If I was hugely into survival games like I used to be I think it'd be good stuff, but I all I heard about and what I ended up expecting was a space game that could be the competition to something like Elite while also adding in a better system for exploration and I'm glad I didn't listen too much to the hype. It's not a bad game, but really it just gets boring after a while, and I'll wait until it's $10 in a sale before I actually grab it for myself.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 3

... it feels like a walking simulator with survival elements and space mixed in. The visuals are really nice, I'll give it that, and it's enjoyable to just sit back and look at it. My issue comes in with gameplay, after doing the same task over and over and over it got a bit boring so I don't think that I'd exactly have much fun doing it over and over at home...

Yea, as time goes by and ! HYPE ! dies, more and more people will be reaching that point. They did an excellent hype job, and makeup is nice indeed.

• Like 2

I haven't played it, but I've been watching streams all day.

It seems to have a "destiny" problem, in that there doesn't seem to be much to do. Procedural planets mean that most are similar, or at the very least predictable. If you think you'll come across a planet like Besbin or Coruscant from Star Wars, you'll be disappointed.

Basically, planet with certain color and weather, big rocks and plants to mine over and over, knowledge towers to find, spore like animals with very limited animations, no ability to build, mini stations with an alien or two inside that all ask for similar favors (again procedural), rinse and repeat.

It seems like it would get old. Other things of note, you can't crash. You safely automatically go over any rocks or canyons while in your ship, and all control when coming in from space has been robbed from you. If you were expecting wing commander / rogue squadron controls, skimming the planet surface, temper your expectations. Planets are "realistically" bland, which makes sense, but also makes things a bit boring. A crash site or some other "event" can be found, but outside of said wildlife and space port, the planet is completely barren and repetitive.

Basically, that's the best way I can describe what I've seen so far. Temper your expectations.

It seems to be a lot more mining and survival oriented than they alluded to originally. Graphics also seem rougher than when the game was debuted "running on ps4". I don't appreciate bait and switch, so hopefully this will be improved with time. Much like other things I've mentioned, more development time would have been nice. I think they were pressured to release as quick as possible from Sony. That's unfortunate as its obvious things weren't done as of the time the discs were stamped.

This doesn't mean I'm not interested. I like the art style, and I'm a sucker for space flight games in general. But I sense the same issues as destiny and elite dangerous. One day you'll realize you've been doing a handful of things over and over and over again, with little main goal, and then you question why you keep doing it.

Personally, I think I'll wait for a 30 dollar price point. Again, I want to play it. But a 60 dollar game, from what I've seen after hours and hours of streamed gameplay, it is not.

Could you imagine if they did allow the ability to build your own structures (say up to around 50 floors covering acres)? After a while the worlds would be truly amazing and it would be mostly the work of the players. With enough variety to the shapes and components, it could be truly awesome. Maybe a Boolean type system like what Syd Mead used for the Magi objects in TRON.

• Like 1

Just wait for the Steam sale :D

No thanks, I'm hearing the PC version is trash.

I'm not the type that watches live streams and let's plays but I'm watching Rerez play the game right now and 20 minutes in I can tell it's not for me. The game is a massive cocktease all the way through. You fly your ship over a planet ans see interesting stuff but you can't interact until you land, then when you do you find out it's not interesting at all and not worth landing for.

Also he said that all the guns are the same, the differences are only cosmetic. WTF???!?!?

• Like 1

Could you imagine if they did allow the ability to build your own structures (say up to around 50 floors covering acres)? After a while the worlds would be truly amazing and it would be mostly the work of the players. With enough variety to the shapes and components, it could be truly awesome. Maybe a Boolean type system like what Syd Mead used for the Magi objects in TRON.

Honestly, this is what I would have expected from this.

Minecraft, for instance, didn't become popular because of the procedural created map. It became popular because you could make that bland planet something unique to get you to the end game.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want a mine craft game. But you can't just have a game where you go to bland planets and do nothing but mine. Where's the motivation? What's truly different outside of weird spore creatures for the player to find on Planet X vs planet y?

And if you can't build, fine! Give me pre-built cities. Give me guilds or nations or federations to join. Jobs. Bounty hunting.

This game should have been elite dangerous but with the planet aspect.

Instead it turned into mine craft without the ability to build anything. I.e.: a large, expansive boring survival game with no real objectives or motivation or anything to do.

Edited by MotoRacer

The only thing built sky high in this game was the expectations. It was it's own publicity engine.

I'm enjoying the game. It's mellow. Whether you enjoy it depends on your attention span and mood. I like this kind of exploration and discovery. I like massive worlds to wander. Will I want to play after I achieve the final goal? Not sure, but I'm certain I'll get my 40+ hours out of this game, maybe a lot more.

And if I want more story or more shooting, I'll play another game.

I'm waiting for sub 10 bucks on GOG. Unless they really fix the horrendous grinding. I don't like paying to waste my time. Maybe with some cheats this might be more appealing. Mods could do this one good.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. You take away the grinding and you don't have this game. The incentive is to explore the universe and acquire the necessary resources to make it to the center of the universe. It's like an old RPG-style grind. You start out weak and get stronger and better over time.

Certainly the engine is worthy of being re-used in other game types, though.

This game is a classic example of people getting their panties in a bunch about the technicalities of a game. No matter how many randomly generated planets there are, what is the fun mining for no real goal? It's basically a step up from walking around a virtual game universe just looking at stuff. I get the grind and all that if it serves a purpose, it just seems like so many games today are grinding just to grind and people getting excited over some technical detail of a game and not the whole picture. I never played an MMO/grinding game until Destiny and that shit taught me all I needed to know... they're basically controlling gamers like slot machines control a compulsive gambler. To make matters worse, nothing you acquire is of any value when the next expansion comes out, making obtaining new items totally stupid to me.

Call me when there's a kajillion random planets, enemies, etc and an actual game to play with it.

• Like 2

The guy who does Lazy Game Reviews on YouTube, who I trust because he seems to think like I do about most things, said it was a grind for about 20 hours and then suddenly opens up. He didn't want to give away spoilers about what happens to do that, but I'm guessing it's when you have enough money to buy a much bigger ship, with more power, technology and inventory slots. There was a Forbes blog post a couple days ago that detailed how to do that fairly quickly, within the first 6-8 hours with efficient mining.

If you don't want to bother watching the LGR review, he says it *is* a problem that it takes that long for the game to get fun, and I would agree if that's really the case. It's made me hold off on buying it to this point, along with the PC version issues. (This is a game I really want on PC, not on PS4.) But I'm still interested. It sounds like it basically turns into a new "Elite" with added planet exploration once you get a decent ship.

• Like 1

I have watched the "ending" of this game. And seriously. If I had grinded 40 hours for that crap I'd be furious. To each his own, people like what they like. But this game is seriously grinding for the sake of grinding. The whole "story" of the game is a very random excuse to just keep you moving from here to there grinding the same crap over and over again. I have seen nothing open up. No new mechanics, no actual meaningfull interactions, It is grinding in space the game. And the whole space travel is just scripted crap. You can't just take your spaceshit and fly around as you please untill you find something. It's all warping.

Seriously. Minecraft is a way better thought out game wich mut better implemented mechanics.

No Man's sky is totally form over function. It is a walking simulatir with mechanics ripped off other games just to be called a game.

And again, some people will like that. But that's what it is.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying it on a high-end PC, but notice it's a demanding game when I turn on maximum anisotropic filtering. Nothing crashed so far though.

Definitely understand the major complaints about certain monotomy, but my previous space exploration game that I played was the first Elite so I guess my expectations were set correctly.

Can't wait to get more familiar with the universe. My first discovered planet looked a bit like dimension 35C from Rick & Morty

I have a pretty average PC, it plays pretty well. A patch or two will help that I feel. I did install two mods already, one to remove those irritating scanlines and vignetting, and another to correct the warm colour-cast to something more natural. Other than that, I'm digging the game so far. Everything the game promised it has delivered. Shawn promised a universe to explore, and I have a universe to explore. Any features they add from here on out are gravy, because I know I'll get my 40+ hours into the game in its current form. A very chilled-out experience, zipping from planet to planet and exploring cool stuff alongside an excellent soundtrack, I dig it.

Everything the game promised it has delivered.

Oh, how I can't point out how wrong this statement is. In multiple interviews he mentioned that it's possible to meet up with other players, however unlikely... even making sure to mention that in big interviews on the tonight show and on colbert's show.

Not only is this a complete lie, but they even put stickers over the part of the case discussing online ratings on the back of the box in Europe as there's.. you guessed it...no online. Even Elite Dangerous allows you to find other users within its vast galaxy.

Is this an issue for every gamer? Probably not. But much like Watchdog's graphics being severely downgraded for the retail release vs initial footage, I HATE it when a developer blatantly lies about what the customer will be receiving after forking over their hard earned 60 dollars.

The fact Shawn is STILL evading questions about this proves he thought he'd get away with it longer than the first day or release, assuming the probability of meeting someone else would be almost impossible.

• Like 1

Oh, how I can't point out how wrong this statement is. In multiple interviews he mentioned that it's possible to meet up with other players, however unlikely... even making sure to mention that in big interviews on the tonight show and on colbert's show.

Not only is this a complete lie, but they even put stickers over the part of the case discussing online ratings on the back of the box in Europe as there's.. you guessed it...no online. Even Elite Dangerous allows you to find other users within its vast galaxy.

Is this an issue for every gamer? Probably not. But much like Watchdog's graphics being severely downgraded for the retail release vs initial footage, I HATE it when a developer blatantly lies about what the customer will be receiving after forking over their hard earned 60 dollars.

The fact Shawn is STILL evading questions about this proves he thought he'd get away with it longer than the first day or release, assuming the probability of meeting someone else would be almost impossible.

Okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand. Is it a lie that you can't find other people or that you can? That users share the same universe or that they don't?

I'm not sure I understand. Is it a lie that you can't find other people or that you can? That users share the same universe or that they don't?

The developer said you'd be able to find others in the game. Even saying the only way to "see" your character would be to be seen by someone else and to have them describe to you what you look like. All users are in the same universe sharing the same planets and systems. So while it's not likely, according to the developer you could meet up with others.

But it's been pretty well proven this is not the case. In fact, the planets don't even feature the same terrain on two different users accounts despite being in the exact same spot on the exact same planet. Nor can they see each other, each other's ships, etc. the only "interaction" is the named planet and animals can be seen by the other player.

The developer has been dodging the question now, and refuses to give a straight answer on social media. This was a promised feature. And like I said, the back of the box that describes online interaction and rating has been covered by a sticker blocking any account of online play. Hello Games refuses to acknowledge either of these two things pointing to their being dishonest.

Again, whether it's important to you or not....who cares. Certain features are important to some and not to others. But to straight up lie about features that don't exist just to make your game sound more impressive is shameful. Maybe this developer should go back to making Trails clones.

See footage of said promises:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

I see your point but that seems kind of like a grey area to me. I took the yes you could but it would be extremely rare because of the size of the universe as a statement that makes it clear that it isn't meant to be online multiplayer in the sense of meeting up with friends to work together and things like that but more like the game Spore where you share the same universe and get content generated by other players. And not including the ability to actually see someone in these rare cases when he said you could does seem like a lie, or maybe he changed his mind, or maybe he planned for it to be updated in later and didn't think people would find the same planets already, or maybe it is a glitch, or whatever but it didn't seem like it was a promised feature in the sense of it really being a goal to find and see people. What I'm saying is something like this:

Is he coming to the right conclusion that he actually has a chance because she said one out of a million, is he coming to the wrong conclusion because she is lying because there is no chance at all, or is he coming to the wrong conclusion but not because she is lying but because by one out of a million she actually means no chance at all? I think it is the last one. She is technically lying by stating that he has the "feature" of it actually being a possibility of them being together but she is also kind of telling the truth by making in clear by one out of a million that it isn't going to happen. I think it is something similar to that.

The game trailer that is still on steam shows someone walking on a world that doesn#t really seem possible in the game's algorhyth. Than that person seamlessly flies into space, get into a spaceship fight, and the ships during the fight go lower and fight on the surface of the planet. After having played the game go watch the trailer footage. I find it very misrepresentative of the product.

• Like 2

I was able to cancel the pre-order cause I had a feeling it may not be exactly what I was looking for (@$60). I just can't get into survival/harvest games. Don't Starve, Minecraft, I've played them and just don't have the time for it. I'll still pick this up later when its cheaper since it's still a "space exploration" game and the procedurally generated mechanics are very intriguing to me. Just a bummer they went mostly with survival/harvest gameplay. Was pretty disappointed with Elite Dangerous as well. SOMEONE will get it right someday.

• Like 1

I heard that Nvidia and AMD released new drivers to help with some of the issues people were reporting for the PC version. I have not downloaded the newer drivers yet. Has anyone updated to the new drivers? Did you see any performance boost?

Funny how some people have lower end cards with little to no issues and some people have 2 980GTXs and get horrible frame rates...

My son was going to get this for the PS4, but I talked him out of it. he is going to building his own PC rig later in the fall, so I told him to wait for a Steam Sale. Maybe bugs will be fixed and the game will be improved. There is always that sale they have around the holidays, so maybe it will show up on a flash sale