IGNORED

Are Microsoft and Sony coming out with upgraded XB1 and PS4?

Bilnick

And judging by what I've seen from Eurogamer's Digital Foundry for several titles that they've analysed, the PS4 is GPU limited.

So not only have they upped the power all around, it should be a much more balanced platform thanks to the significant boost in this area in particular.

I don't think we'll see 4k/60 fps AAA titles of course, but I bet that the developers that choose to support this revised hardware will have little trouble hitting 1080p/60 fps targets and more closely rivaling PC hardware in performance.

One other problem the PS4 has is the single threaded performance of the processor. (clock speed x power generated per cicle in a single core) so they increased the clock speed of the CPU my a reasonable ammount.

The upgrade seems to be made right. It's not gonna raise the price a lot. This rout actually seems very good. You could have a new system being released every four years, but with each individual model being supported for 8 years. At this point there's litle reason to ever release an actually completely new system. At least for the foreseeable future. MAybe something will happen down the line that would make them change architecture, or how things work..

• 1 month later...

Games will sell me on this,not power.

But then again Forza with real time weather and day night cycles on the fly will be heavenly.

Next fall will mark the 4th anniversary of the XBoxOne,ok I guess.

But I'd sure feel a whole lot better if they show some rtruely astounding games built on that new hardware.

I hope Sony and Microsoft make these new consoles last atleast 5 years this time.

VR I could care less about. Kill it with fire.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

Looks like the Xbox 1.5 will be roughly 50% more powerful than the PS4.5, with possible Occulus Rift support. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft can keep the price for the new consoles under $500.

Why is it that every generation of MS/Sony hardware devolves into a penis measuring contest? It's not the size that counts; it's what you do with it. Maybe that's why I trust Nintendo. I'll take better games on inferior hardware anyday... :grin:

Why is it that every generation of MS/Sony hardware devolves into a penis measuring contest? It's not the size that counts; it's what you do with it. Maybe that's why I trust Nintendo. I'll take better games on inferior hardware anyday... :grin:

The thing is, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Why not have both great games AND great power? It creates more options, not fewer.

• Like 1

They already did with the Wii U.

All of the hallmarks of that 360 controller are there, with the only differences being the presence of the usually barely utilized touch screen, digital instead of analog triggers, and a few added options like SixAxis style motion capabilities and the IR emitter for controlling your television's volume and power functions.

But in essence it's a standard modern console gamepad, as evidenced by the fact that the vast majority of the worthwhile games are fully playable with the Wii U Pro Controller that strips the touch screen and some of the other largely superfluous options out.

Got to look past that touch screen, which is rather nice in itself even if it hardly ever justified the added cost and complexity that it brought to the table. It's still pleasant for the gamer thanks to offloading screen clutter to its display like Zelda's inventory screen and map, off-screen play, etc. It almost never has been shoehorned in where it didn't belong, unlike many a DS & Wii game that had obligatory use of their novel features which often was to the detriment of the gamer.

Edited by Atariboy

I probably still would not upgrade... certainly not at release.

Then it will depend on whether or not the upgrades do anything significantly more than adding more power for 4K and VR... neither of which I am interested in.

I have a hunch that these upgrades may make the newer consoles launch at a higher price point than the original ones did. How will that adoption rate go?

Sony has said any new games must also work on the original console. As MS made a similar statement. Of course, such statements have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Will either take the opportunity to reintroduce those ridiculous DRM schemes.