IGNORED

Need help with my computer

Sean39

Yes, in particular the ZX-81 (Timex Sinclair 1000) uses the trick to define 10 REM XXXXXXXXXXX and then you POKE machine code data into those locations reserved with the REM statement. Basically because its limited memory and that it doesn't seem like an easy way to CLEAR a memory area that BASIC variables won't overwrite.

Hi Everyone

I know ECS uses the Sucky feature with GRAB to get graphics off the catridge. I threw a simple program together to show my daughter

another way of getting moving graphics with the BK function. Of course your not going to get detail graphics but it another way to

show her moving graphics. Of course in ECS basic you do not have the abillity to program each pixal that I can see. The BK function

is the only thing that came close to individual pixal but we know better. Anyways I showed her how moving graphics could be done

in basic with out the Sucky feature. Here is the program. It not pretty or even structured but thrown together really fast to make a point to

my daughter and show her another way of making moving graphics. Simple program and does work for moving graphics.

Written For ECS Basic

Thanks

10 CLR

20 C=0

30 FOR S= 0 TO 239

40 BK(S)=C

50 NEXT S

60 A=220

61 L=19

70 X=1

71 F=120

80 A=A+1

81 L=L-1

82 F=F+4

90 BK(A)=X

91 BK(L)=X+1

92 BK(F)=X+11

100 FOR T= 1 TO 5

110 NEXT T

120 BK(A)=C

121 BK(L)=C

122 BK(F)=C

130 IF (A=239) GOTO 200

140 GOTO 80

200 A=A-1

210 L=L+1

215 F=F-4

220 BK(A)=X

221 BK(L)=X+1

222 BK(F)=X+11

230 FOR T= 1 TO 5

235 NEXT T

250 BK(A)=C

251 BK(L)=C

252 BK(F)=C

280 IF(A=220) GOTO 70

290 GOTO 200

Edited by Sean39

If Sean's daughter later in life would actually want to take up computer science studies, she'll have to be "deprogrammed" from ECS habits, which might not be that hard given that other people in this thread managed to. :)

:lol: The thought of someone taking any skills picked up from learning ECS BASIC and applying them to modern computer science, in a practical sense, is gut-bustingly funny.

Pretty much the only useful things would be the concept of line-based coding, and that variables exist. Literally everything else is probably more harmful than useful, when it comes to actually learning something practical. Sell off those boxed ECS games and you could buy a cheap/used PC that in 15 minutes would teach a child more useful skills than a lifetime of ECS programming.

We all do this for fun, not profit. I do enjoy the thought of an 18 year old kid walking into a CS 101 course in 2025 or so, having learned to program on a 1970s computer. Sounds like a setup for a sitcom.

I suppose there's some niche embedded systems jobs out there that cycle counting and worrying about overflowing your single-digit KB memory space are useful skills to pick up...

Hi again

Well she is having fun and what she can get out of this is going to help some.

I know in Microsoft basic we structured the programs to use Gosub and Return.

This way the kids would have a very structured program. This way you had a variable,Decision and calculation and output area.

We were trying to get across to stucture the programs and just not throw them together,

Of course writing games that use the Gosub and return commands would make for very slow games.

For writing a bussines program to keep track of files it worked very well.

Anyways I may be able to teach her some programing skills on it but writing games would take alot of use

of the sucky or grabing graphics off of existing cartridges.

Anyways it keeps her busy and learning.

My goal is to get a better computer. For now she has the only working computer I own.

I have 2 very old Atari 800 computers my dad owned but they are not working.

Matter in fact he had a disk and catridge that went together for a Full Microsoft Basic.

That even better than ECS basic but that what she has now and it works well.

I really wish she had the Poke, Peek , Inkey$ and the ELSE functions on it.

you cannot use the <> function which is known as the NOT function

30 IF A<>B then goto 100

or

40 IF A=B then goto 20 ELSE A=C then 100

other function that nice is the OR

IF A OR B = 25 the let C=25

Just little things I notice she cannot do in ECS basic.

Anyways for a 12K Basic ROM it does miss alot since Sinclair ZX81 used an 8K rom. Atari basic started with an 8K rom and went

to a 10K ROM Basic.

These languages all do more than ECS basic even with a smaller ROM CHIP.

To bad Mattel just did not come up later with a cartridge to plug in the cartridge slot to give an extended basic.

Well Thanks

Hi again

Well she is having fun and what she can get out of this is going to help some.

I know in Microsoft basic we structured the programs to use Gosub and Return.

This way the kids would have a very structured program. This way you had a variable,Decision and calculation and output area.

We were trying to get across to stucture the programs and just not throw them together,

Of course writing games that use the Gosub and return commands would make for very slow games.

For writing a bussines program to keep track of files it worked very well.

Anyways I may be able to teach her some programing skills on it but writing games would take alot of use

of the sucky or grabing graphics off of existing cartridges.

Anyways it keeps her busy and learning.

My goal is to get a better computer. For now she has the only working computer I own.

I have 2 very old Atari 800 computers my dad owned but they are not working.

Matter in fact he had a disk and catridge that went together for a Full Microsoft Basic.

That even better than ECS basic but that what she has now and it works well.

I really wish she had the Poke, Peek , Inkey$ and the ELSE functions on it.

you cannot use the <> function which is known as the NOT function

30 IF A<>B then goto 100

or

40 IF A=B then goto 20 ELSE A=C then 100

other function that nice is the OR

IF A OR B = 25 the let C=25

Just little things I notice she cannot do in ECS basic.

Anyways for a 12K Basic ROM it does miss alot since Sinclair ZX81 used an 8K rom. Atari basic started with an 8K rom and went

to a 10K ROM Basic.

These languages all do more than ECS basic even with a smaller ROM CHIP.

To bad Mattel just did not come up later with a cartridge to plug in the cartridge slot to give an extended basic.

Well Thanks

This is part of the reason we have been mentioning from the very beginning that ECS BASIC is sort of crippled, and not really worth much.

By the way, those are called "operators," not functions: relational operators (<, >, =, <>) or boolean operators (and, or, xor not).

You can simulate complex expressions in a rather verbose and convoluted way, by nesting many IF statements together and branching with spaghetti GOTOs. For instance:

REM *******************************
REM IF (A <> B) GOTO 100
10 IF (A = B) GOTO 30
20 GOTO 100
30 REM Resume program

REM IF (A = B) OR (A = C) X = 10
10 IF (A = B) GOTO 30
20 GOTO 60
30 IF (A = C) GOTO 50
40 GOTO 60
50 X = 10
60 REM Resume program

REM IF (A = B) X = 10 ELSE X = -10
10 IF (A = B) GOTO 30
20 GOTO 60
30 X = 10
40 GOTO 60
50 X = -10
60 REM Resume program

Those are just examples from the top of my head.

As has been stated many times before in this thread, the Entertainment Computer System was a piece of crap cobbled together quickly and cheaply in order to appease the Federal Trade Commission, and avoid further penalties imposed on Mattel due to their inability to release the promised Keyboard Component computer module.

It really was nothing more than that originally: a "computer" mostly in name. Adding the extra sound chips and RAM was a way to make use of the module in future games, but nobody seriously expected the ECS BASIC to amount to much.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Hi DZ

I have some really old Atari 800 systems left over from when my father worked for Atari Corp. He was under a subcontractor.

Now they have everything but do not work. Some have broken keyboards and other issues. I could fix one of them up.

My father had one of the really rare copies of Microsoft Basic II for the atari 800 computer. you have to place a cartridge in and load the rest by a disk

drive. This gives a full version of Mcrosoft Basic. Now if I can get one of these up running for her it would probably be alot better.

When I mean early I mean really early atari 800s. See I know they made millions of the atari 800 systems.

The serial numbers I have are 0679 , 2443 and 7600 and something.

I cannot remember the last two digits on the 7600 serial number. I may even have the 76 part wrong but it a pretty low 7000 serial number.

All of them do not work. I just keep them around because my dad brought them home from work.

I have an Atari basic Cartridge and the Microsoft Basic II for Atari which is a Cartridge and disk combination to give you

a full version of Microsoft basic.

These computers sit in boxes to have something to pass on to my daughter from her grandfather who has pass on.

I figure that they probably have some bad chips on them and there a possibility I could test each chip and get one of these

computers up and running. I do not think Atari Basic will do her much good since it not a basic that will ever be used in the

market. Microsoft Basic may be able to at least get her going in the correct direction.

What do you think.

For now all I have is the ECS basic and your guys help has been great.

I thought about using the IF statement and that a really good ideal.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

I do not think Atari Basic will do her much good since it not a basic that will ever be used in the

market. Microsoft Basic may be able to at least get her going in the correct direction.

What do you think.

Honestly, none of these BASICs will ever be used in the market. Not even close. If actual useful job skills are a concern, sell the 8-bit stuff you have and buy a used PC. You'd be able to more than pay for a PC given some of the stuff you've shown pictures of, and described.

Hi Freewill

Now along time ago I use to teach Microsoft Basic to college students. I taught really advance Microsoft Basic. They had 2 classes that I taught at the

University of Virginia. Those students were able to take those two classes alone and get jobs. Now some of those student work for some of the bigest

companies in the world. I taught Microsoft Basic 1 and 2 which was two courses. Then I taught Electronic Engineering and computer design.

Later on I worked for Raytheon and NASA as an Electronic Engineer. I ended up working for the military and Retired.

See I had my daughter really late in life and my wife passed away already.

No one is going to buy any Broken Atari 800 compters. I see them on ebay and the only ones that even sell are the working ones that have everything.

Plus since my wife death those atari 800s are in storage. I posted some pictures of them on Atariage but those are old pics off my camera.

I would have to go unpack everything just to get to them. The only things I have to sell is what you see in this thread that I just bought my daughter.

Believe me I know the intellivision ECS stinks but it all I have right now to work with.

I could sell all the intellivision things and have my daughter very upset. Try remembering this was for her and once you give a child something taking it away

usually does not work out all that well.

I have had this less than one month and my daughter is already likes it,so that would not be a good ideal. If it was for me then it would already be going

up for sale.

Most people my age already have grandkids. I know alot of people at the age of 50 and they are not raising kids who are still in school.

If you read my earlier post you would see I had a Sinclair ZX80 computer when it was first realeased and I was already a teenager.

Early releases of that computer came out in 1979 in kit form and 1980 Built by Sinclair. Use the Zilog Z80 Chip.

Back then I learned how to program in Machine language because the first ZX80 computers only came with a 4K basic language but

later you could upgrade them to an 8K basic language as long as you change the keyboard on the computer.

Yes the ZX80 an ZX81 could do Machine language through the REM statement.

You could also type in an assember to alow to to program in assembly language which I learn as a teenager.

Believe me 4K basic does not do much. A whole lot less than the 12K basic language found in the ECS basic.

Now atari Basic come on an 8K ROM chip so it even less than 12K Basic in ECS. The only thing that saves the Atari

basic is that you use the Poke and Peek commands alot to improve on the programs.

I believe what hurt the ECS basic is the all the graphic funtions for grabing them off a cartridge. See yes it a cool

thing but if they had dropped these aout of the language other commands could have been put in their place.

These could have been replace by regualar Basic commands

Dist , Grab , Link , Show , PC , SQ , VS , XM , XP , XS , XV , YS ,YM , YP , YS , YV

These all have to do with grabing a picture off of a Cartridge and making that picture move.

That is 16 commands that could have been turned to regular basic commands ECS basic is missing.

Remember ECS uses a 12K ROM basic Atari Basic uses a 8K basic and other basics use around

10K to 12K.

Sinclair ZX81 or TIMEX 1000 used a 8K Basic ROM.

Microsoft Basic started out at 12K and later on move to about 24K . That 24K basic was really advance and could

do things no other basic langiage could do.

It had commands no other basic even offered.

ECS basic took most of it ROM space and tried using all the commands such as grab and other commands to control and

change the graphics from the cartridge you pulled up. Neat ideal but really in the long run it hurt the basic language.

They could have wrote a really great basic in that 12K.

Atari Basic never exceeded the 8K rom and they worte really great game programs with in Compute and other magazines.

Now I am sure the basic language people use now exceeds 12K or even 24K

The last Microsoft Basic I taught used about 180K and boy their was alot of commands and functions. So much more.

Had about 24 screen choices in Pixal size. I cannot tell you how well that Microsoft Basic works.

Also there was the Qbasic that came out. The basic you guys program in. Well I have not took the time to learn that yet.

I plan too since programing was my thing and I loved it. My daughter is Enjoying the ECS basic and maybe she will

figure out how to do things in it we have not thought of. Kids are quick to figure out things we don't think of.

ME personally the language sucks and I saw what they did. I think they did the grab command and others so kids

would not have to program sprites that move. They just get them off the cartridge and start making them move.

It a language made for kids to make it easy on them. I have been reading the manuals and the only other book

Step by Step Guide to home computing. I see all the flaws in this language.

When I get the money my daughter will get alot better computer and she will learn the latest programing language.

In the past if you could program in Microsoft Basic ( advance version alot harder language).

You could get a job. It allowed you to program machine laguage routines in to you programs.

In the Late 1980's and early 1990's we had college kids making $9.00 and hour programing in

the Version of Microsoft basic. Yes they could program some programs that ran in Windows.

These were basic programs that use machine language routines in them.

Intel CPU all come from the 8080 on up. You went to the 8088 and so on till now.

If you knew the the memory maping for the chip you were using you could program machine routine.

You all know that since you all have programed in basic as well machine language.

My daughter is starting out. I am sorry she is having fun with the ECS and I cannot just take that

away from her and sell it.

If it was my computer it would be gone and I would try to get something a little bit newer with

more capabilities.

Thank you for you advice Freewill but I cannot hurt my daughter by taking the intellivision and

just turn around and sell everything off.

She would cry for real.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

Sean39: I respect what you're trying to do for your daughter.

I think we've all hashed out our opinions of ECS BASIC... that horse is beaten to death.

Despite its limitations, you can still do some neat things with ECS BASIC. I've seen a few interesting ECS BASIC programs over the years. Quite frankly, I was surprised at some of them.

In the spirit of classic gaming, can we stick to "What neat things can we do with this?" / "How far can we push ECS BASIC?" without worrying about whether we should? We're all playing with a nearly 40 year old system as it is... c'mon! :) :) :)

If some of you think it's a waste of time, that's fine. There's other threads. Why don't we save this one for exploring ECS BASIC.

If you at all desire a newer PC in your home, my suggestion would be to find a trade involving the broken Atari 800 computers, unless you have strong ties to those. You could probably get a fairly ok PC for the value of that stuff, without touching your nice Intellivision setup.

Edit: Ok, I just reread your post where you consider the Atari's unsellable in current condition. It is too bad if that is the case.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Sean39: I respect what you're trying to do for your daughter.

I think we've all hashed out our opinions of ECS BASIC... that horse is beaten to death.

Despite its limitations, you can still do some neat things with ECS BASIC. I've seen a few interesting ECS BASIC programs over the years. Quite frankly, I was surprised at some of them.

In the spirit of classic gaming, can we stick to "What neat things can we do with this?" / "How far can we push ECS BASIC?" without worrying about whether we should? We're all playing with a nearly 40 year old system as it is... c'mon! :) :) :)

If some of you think it's a waste of time, that's fine. There's other threads. Why don't we save this one for exploring ECS BASIC.

I've tried to steer this thread in that direction, but Sean keeps either complaining about ECS BASIC's limitations (of which some had warned him many, many times), or trying to compare it to other versions of BASIC and asking if they would be better for learning. He keeps asking if it would be better to buy this device or another, which is sort of confusing.

I don't really understand the point of this thread. At first, I thought it was to help Sean and his daughter use ECS BASIC, which I would very happily do. However, I see very few questions about ECS BASIC from Sean.

The conversation seems to waffle between, "I don't have any money, this is the only computer I can own right now, so I have to deal with it"; to "how about if I buy this other vintage computer or peripheral?"

Sean, I also respect what you are doing with your daughter, and although I have been turned off by ECS BASIC by my experiences with it as a child (and my exposure to better systems of the time), I don't think it's all that bad, especially for children.

However, the reasons why the language is crippled, and why it is not as good as others, has already been covered by many, over and over (in this very thread), that I think it's counterproductive to your purposes. If this is the only computer you have (and this being the Intellivision Programming forum), why not stick to sharing your daughter's progress with ECS BASIC and asking questions on how to get things done with it?

You may find many more people willing to engage in the conversation. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I was fortunate to have an Apple II growing up. It was a machine that forced me to learn from the instant I unpacked the box. I learned I needed to get an RF modulator, or spend $$ on a monitor.

The documentation was beyond superb, 800 pages of goodness right out of the box. Reading these was like having an invisible instructor by my side that could answer any and all questions.

One of these books was the Apple DOS manual that taught me many computer concepts. The concepts presented in the opening chapters are invaluable and saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years of using computers and conducting business. Well.. I was an impressionable youngster and the material well described.
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.com/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/dos/DOS%20Manual.pdf

When I was working with the Apple II I didn't feel like there were any limitations whatsoever. The only limitations that existed were me and in my head. There was just so many cool things to do with it. Games, word processing and writing sci-fi stories, science experiments, learning electronics and programming, and a whole lot more.

It's too bad that kids these days don't have a machine as versatile and powerful as the Apple II. Well, they do in a form of a smartphone, but all they do is gyrate to distorted autotune clips and make these ADD style videos all day. They don't do anything useful with them.

Hi Everyone

Ok I probably mis understood things said. Yes I want to concentrate on the ECS basic and system.

I am sorry that I brought up the difference in the different languages. I am very happy with this set up because it makes my daughter really happy. I hope that we can find some ECS programs that my daughter can try out.

Again I am sorry for any confusion of me talking about what ECS did not have in it basic language but I have notice alot of it could be over come by doing it a different way. ;)

I only brought up the differences in the Basic languages because I taught them to college students. I saw where the changes could have been

made to the ECS to make a really great computer module. I know why they used the Grab command and all the other commands for movements of the

sprites. It was geared toward Children to make it easy on them to understand. I read in many write ups the boxes Says computer Module but the Owner manual says Family Entertainment Computer System. (ECS).

I have no problems with this computer is was designed to be easy and a starting point for Children.

I am ok leaving this an ECS thread and not getting side tracked on other things :)

Thank you

Edited by Sean39

Hi DZ

Sorry about the confusion, You have it correct, The Intellivision, ESC,Intellivoice and programs took up just about everything I had to set her up a

computer. I looked for the lowest cost Pieces so I could get her a computer. I waited on the printer till one came up really cheap.

I know someone said in this thread she would probably like a printer to print out her programs. Besides just seeing them on the screen.

I will keep everything on the ECS for now since this is what I really need to be teaching my daughter..

I really need help with making a printer cable or finding one that will go between the ECS and the Aquarious 4210 printer.

There will be alot of questions on ECS basic since this is one language I did not learn or teach before.

I have found some simularities in the language and that does help.

I am going to help my daughter as much as possible and I would like to see how far we can push this language to do things.

I know some people already found glitches in the language and used those glitches to their advantage to get the compter to do things

that it would not normally do.

I do not plan to get another computer and plan to stick with this one. Thank you for all your help

By the way if anyone see Aquarious Home System Printer Paper (40 column Thermal printer paper) 4216 by Mattel Electronics.

I need some for the printer coming in.

Edited by Sean39

In the spirit of classic gaming, can we stick to "What neat things can we do with this?" / "How far can we push ECS BASIC?" without worrying about whether we should?

When someone specifically asks "what kind of 30 year old BASIC would be good to teach a child, in order to further their career?", it's hard to answer in any way other than "trust me, that question is the wrong one to be asking".

I see an absolutely TON of gear being procured here. Hell, it's becoming a bigger Intellivision collection than I have! If it was for the sake of "hey gang, I love to geek out, so just how hard can I push this old kit?" - like what those insane Aquarius types are doing - then there's a way to answer that. But "I want to teach my daughter marketable skills on what is arguably the worst computer in the history of home computing, and I'm going to keep acquiring more software and hardware and manuals in order to make this happen"? And now we have an Aquarius printer, but let's figure out how to make an interface cable for it - oh and hey, where can I find 35 year old thermal paper for it? And I seem to recall a desire for the synthesizer keyboard, which is not exactly going to be cheap.

I can buy a barely-used laser printer at a garage sale for 5 bucks. And a more-than-capable PC+monitor for what could be had selling only 2 or 3 of those boxed ECS games. And you can run all of this in an emulator, if you're hell-bent on teaching a kid ECS BASIC. Get an old PC, and when you run into any of the 8000 limitations that keep being brought up here, you have a solution to them. Plus 50,000 other things a PC can let her learn. AND you can still live in an ECS world if you so choose.

Is it any of my business? Nope. I just really don't understand the obsession here. It seems like an awful lot of time and money being spent on something that really isn't going to serve its intended purpose. And it's just going to get worse.

Nerding it up with tons of antique kit that we hack the hell out of all day is what we do when we have excess money. What do you do when the ECS keyboard breaks, as is quite possible if it sees any significant use? Pony up $20 at least, plus shipping. Practically any sort of problem with this equipment is going to end up costing significant money to solve. Whereas if your PC keyboard breaks, another can be found for a buck (and likely free, if you know almost anyone these days - even my 75 year old parents have a spare PC keyboard kicking around).

Using collectible (and valuable) retro gear is literally the exact opposite of what someone with no money should be doing. I have a fully functional PC+monitor right here that I'd be happy to trade for the boxed Jetsons alone; it's too bad about the shipping.

I'll shut up with the unsolicited advice. I just don't see how any kind of rational answer is forthcoming, for the majority of these questions. You're digging a money pit for yourself by insisting upon this path.

Sean has said that his daughter is taking up to ECS BASIC and having fun and enjoying it. So, as long as this topic continues on the path of answering questions and providing assistance to enhance that enjoyment, I have no problem with it.

Even with all the enthusiasm that I brought into this thread at the beginning to help a child getting started on the ECS, I too felt a bit confused with the constant digressions about how to mutilate electronics into some franken-hardware, making cables, purchasing collector's items, and comparisons and praise for other non-Intellivision BASICs -- some from Sean himself. *shrug*

Sean, I'm very glad your daughter has found joy in using the ECS BASIC, that is what it's all about. Let us know if she has any questions or problems regarding making use of the device or the software and I'll see what I can do.

Like intvnut said, there are some neat things that can be done (especially using the "sucky" feature). I'm not an expert -- in fact, my last foray into ECS BASIC a year ago was absolutely painful and fruitless, so I don't even bother anymore -- but I'm willing to help as I can.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

As for the Aquarius 4216 thermal printer, it seems to have been specific for Mattel rather than a rebadged OEM product. It may limit availability of paper rolls. I understand it takes 4-3/8" (111 mm) wide paper. There are other brands that are 110 or 112 mm, but I don't know if that is a rounding error when converting from inches to cm, or if fitting and paper material otherwise differs. One model mentioned using 4-3/8" paper would be Star SM-S400 but I don't know if it works in the same way.

Anyway, this site has a quote on a carton of 50 rolls (!) of paper, 56 ft per roll. A full carton is $70, which probably is way outside your budget for this purpose, but there should be other sellers offering smaller quantities.

http://www.mobileprinterpaper.com/

To Everyone

I am going to stay with what I have set up. I was able to get everything at a really decent price for her.

I made some mistakes on things I said ECS basic could not do. It just Mattel did it different from other languages.

I found that you could achieve Commands and functions that I thought were not possible in ECS basic.

It just took time to figure out how to do them. My daughter has figure out alot of them on her own.

INTVnut is correct there is alot of neat things you can do with ECS basic but it just takes time to figure out how to do them.

I was at fault pointing out things I thought ECS basic could not do but I was in the wrong. I am staying with the intellivision ECS computer.

My daughter loves it and is having fun programing it. If this is going down the wrong path then I will have to live with it.

She is learning programing from this machine and having fun while doing it. It sounds like a good path to me.

My daughter is very happy ,so I am keeping the intellivision and ECS computer system for her.

Sorry if I have upset anyone on this thread. You all have my deepest appologies.

Thank you

Edited by Sean39

DZ, Said

Even with all the enthusiasm that I brought into this thread at the beginning to help a child getting started on the ECS, I too felt a bit confused with the constant digressions about how to mutilate electronics into some franken-hardware, making cables, purchasing collector's items, and comparisons and praise for other non-Intellivision BASICs -- some from Sean himself. *shrug*

Hi DZ

I am sorry that I got off on other Basic languages plus subjects that had nothing to do with ECS basic, and should have not done that. You have my personal appology.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

On your behalf, I made some more studies on thermal printer paper (also because that is intriguing to me although I don't have a thermal printer in my collection). It seems 50 rolls x 56 ft or 24 rolls x even longer paper are the common sizes you can order. Even on eBay, I had trouble finding just a few rolls for little money. Still I'm not sure at all the rolls I'm looking at would be compatible with the printer since there appears to be many different kinds of thermal printers. It sounds like a challenging task though.

Hi Carlsson

Thank you for looking and your efforts to find paper for me . I am setting some funds aside just in case we do find some useful paper for this printer.

I am going to try and search on line how you hook this printer up to the ECS since this is the printer Mattel picked to use with the ECS.

I just know one end is a stereo type jack that goes in to the AUX on the ECS.

Thank you very much for your help

i would start a topic on making a printer cable for the ecs. Some people probably know the answer but dont read this long thread. This was answered by someone to me but i forget who told me. I was going to adapt the printer and tape recorder but never got around to it.