IGNORED

Need help with my computer

Sean39

The fact that it is RS-232 compatible at 1200 baud, although output only, is rather interesting. Now if you had an old PC with a regular printer connected, you could make a cable to capture listings from the ECS as files on the PC and then print them on regular paper. Perhaps you could even connect a serial printer directly to the ECS, if you find a really cheap old matrix one with suitable interface.

Hi Carlsson

That sounds really cool but this computer is only on loan to me. Eventually maybe sometime next year I can get a regular type PC.

For now I have this for a little while longer and then I will have to go up to the library and use theirs to make post on this thread or any thread.

To even check my emails. I live so far out from a city that we use dial up connection. Right now I am connected only at 49.2 Kbps.

This is suppose to be a 56K connection but I have never seen that speed yet.

Anyways that would be a thing for future thoughts, Right now the only computer I will have on hand is the intellivision.

Thank you for the great information.

Edited by Sean39

Hi Carlsson

You do not have to look for Thermal Paper anymore. Everyone saw those amazing pictures of a Printer coming in a box that works.Looka almost in mint condition.

Well the seller refunded my money and then told me that this amazing almost mint condition 4210 printer was broken basically over night. So now I have no printer coming for the computer my daughter to use. As you all know the Aquarius 4210 is the one listed in the owners manual for the intellivision ECS computer.

Probably the only printer that will work with the ECS. So I did not make my goal as stated earlier in the thread and I will go remove that part.

I will also have to go back and change my post about getting the printer. I figure the seller may have basically got a better offer for the printer and pulled out of the deal and refunded my money.

Anyways makes no difference if it really did break or the seller pulled out of an agreed deal which had been paid for already.

Really stinks when ebay will get on a buyer for backing out of a deal but the seller can do it with nothing happening to them.

Anyways this really stinks. Some of you thought it was dumb ideal of me buying an old printer. Anyways the only one it

going to hurt is my daughter when I tell her that it not coming. I will have to tell her because she was excited about being able to print

out her programs. Some how Mattel made the ECS compatiable with the Aquarius 4210 printer and I believe it may be the only printer that will work with the ECS.

Most old Serial printers use ASCII codes to work and the ECS does not use ASCII codes. Now if I am wrong on this please correct me but I built and repaired computers for years. ( maybe the ECS converted the codes over to ASCII for the printer output) Again I do not know.

I just know the ECS and Intellivision do not use ASCII code where the letter A starts at 65. On the intellivision the letter A is 33.

If the printer depends on ASCII codes then the codes coming out of the intellivision will not work.

Well I was posting this so no one would be looking for the paper for a printer that is not coming.

All my post were corrected as best as I could do with the removal of the pictures of the printer. Now we can get back on just my daughter programing

the ECS basic programs. If printers do use ASCII CODES Then they would have to be changed in the ECS to communicate with a printer.. I will just have to look for another Aquarius printer 4210

Again for now my daughter can program and have fun.

Intellivision codes are as follows. ASCII CODES and you get the ideal they are different.

0 space 16 0 32 @ 48 P 65 A

1 ! 17 1 33 A 49 Q 66 B

2 " 18 2 34 B 50 R 67 C

3 # 19 3 35 C 51 S

4 $ 20 4 36 D 52 T

5 % 21 5 37 E 53 U

6 & 22 6 38 F 54 V

7 ' 23 7 39 G 55 W

8 ( 24 8 40 H 56 X

9 ) 25 9 41 I 57 Y

10 * 26 : 42 J 58 Z

11 + 27 ; 43 K 59 {

12 , 28 < 44 L 60 \

13 - 29 = 45 M 61 }

14 . 30 > 46 N 62 ^

15 / 31 ? 47 O 63 RETURN KEY

Thank You

Edited by Sean39

Bruce Abbott has hacked his Aquarius to display bitmap graphics and in the process has the ability to soft load different character sets. He imported a lot of C64 sets, but it turned out that the alphabet portion needs to be moved in order to fit the Aquarius character order, which seems to be the same as on the Intellivision.

I found an old review by Owen Linzmayer and David Ahl in which the Aquarius character set is discussed. It says CHR$(11) will clear the screen, and suggests to me that space might actually start at 32 just like in regular ASCII. Now if the thermal printer works with both devices, it suggests to me that the ECS would output regular ASCII through the AUX as well. Someone ought to have tried that before, but I guess you're not in a place where even old matrix printers are staples so you could pick up one for $5 just to see if it works. I must admit though it would be very neat if you can connect any serial printer @ 1200 baud to the ECS, and get cheaper and longer lasting printouts than the thermal printer would.

Hi Carlsson

If I could use an old Matrix Printer on it with larger paper and better print out. That would be really cool.

Let me see if I can find out what kind of output that ECS does do.

I am going to read the books I have really close to see if they meantion anything on this.

Thanks

Incidentally, the printer interface is actually an RS-232 compatible, 1200-baud serial interface, so you could actually build an adapter cable to send data directly to a PC through the Aquarius/ECS printer port (here are some instructions). It's a real pity that the interface doesn't include an extra wire for RX, because this would have made it a workable (if slow) bidirectional serial port; as it is, the port is output-only. icon_frown.gif

I suppose the remaining question then is if the output matches ASCII.

Does anyone else on this forum have an ECS setup with BASIC who would be able to test by wiring it up to a PC and just capture the output? I've got a friend with a such setup that I perhaps can coax into trying, since he is as crazy as I am about such hacks.

Hi Carlsson.

Now could we use the interface to hook directly up to a Dot Matrix printer , or even an ink jet printer.

To bad they do not have an interface that could take it to a USB port. Now I thinkk they make an RS 232 to usb interface.

So if we can get the output from the ECS to an RS 232 then we could take that RS-232 to USB interface.

It would take both type of interfaces to get it over to a USB port then it could run even a modern printer without

going through a computer.

Again the ASCII is the only thing and I am really wondering if the ECS does convert the Mattel coding over to ASCII.

It would make sense to do that and they may have done it.

One reason I say this is because I would think the Aquarius computer would have use ASCII codes.

IT used the 6502 CPU but I read that the Aquarius computer used a form of Microsoft Basic.

I look it up last night.

Microsoft basic uses ACSII codes and to talk to an Aquarius printer it would need to except ASCII coding.

I did not know the Aquarius and Aquarius II computers programed in Microsoft Basic till last night.

Anyways prettty cool information. Anyways I read that only about 21 titles only came out for games for that computer.

Wow not much of software choice. 21 programs and they said alot of them were taken from the intellivision games.

The intellivision also had better graphics resolution than the Aquarius.

Wow it had super low pixals amount.

Look at these specifications and I am glad I did not buy an Aquarius computer

Technical specifications[edit]

220px-Mattel-Aquarius-BR.jpg
  • CPU: Zilog Z-80, 3.5 MHz
  • Memory: 4K RAM, expandable to 20K RAM; 8K ROM
  • Keyboard: 48-key rubber chiclet
  • Display: 40x24 text, 80x72 graphics, 16 colors ( This is really bad graphic resolution.)
  • Sound: One voice, expandable to four voices
  • Ports: Television, cartridge/expansion, tape recorder, printer
  • Hardware Sprites: None
  • PSU: Non-removable external power supply hard-wired into case providing 8.8 / 16 / 19 VDC

Intellivision graphic resolution

• 159 pixels wide by 96 pixels high (159x192 display on a TV screen, scanlines being doubled) Wow this is far better graphic resolution
  • 16 color palette, all of which can be on the screen at once
  • 8 sprites. Hardware supports the following features per-sprite:

Wow I do not even know how they took some of the intellivision games and place them on an Aquarius with alot worse graphic display.

I am glad I did go with an intellivision over the Aquarius computer.

The Aquarius may have more RAM but making high resolution games on it would have been very hard.

I use to program with a computer that had 64X31 graphic resolution and it was very hard to get good graphics out of that.

80X72 graphic resolution is not much better. What do people see in the Aquarius computer.

4K of Ram and expandable to 20K. I think that I saw a 32K ram pack for it.

Still even with all that memory how would you program good sprites with only a 80X72 resolution for the entire screen.

Anyways I glad I went the way I did.

Someone at the begining of this thread said I would have been better to buy an Aquarius Computer. I really do not think so.

The learning software I have for my daughter alone is a really good thing that the intellivision provides.

Then I read this on the Aquarius computer.

This is what really got me and I am so glad I did not buy an Aquarius computer.

Of the 32 software titles Mattel announced for the unit, only 21 were released, most of which were ports from Mattel's Intellivision game console. Because of the hardware limitations of the Aquarius (such as a lack of programmable graphics), the quality of many games suffered. This is in contrast to other home video game companies of the era such as Atari and Coleco, who were branching out into the home computer market with computers that matched or exceeded the capabilities of their dedicated gaming consoles.

I do not know who told me that I should have bought an Aquarius but look how bad this thing is.

Now I know I love the intellivision for my daughter because she has alot more programs to choose from and she still can program in basic.

21 programs only she would be board in a second and if they did not come out in compute or other magazines to program basic games for the

Aquarius then I would be in a very bad spot.

At least she will have Jetsons ways with words to learn from,and MR Basic meets Bits N Bytes to learn from. Also all the Math learning programs.

I know there a couple more educational titles she can learn from on this.

I know there was a fred flinstone game they cancel to do with math I think. I really wish that had not been cancel.

Not I was told there was a Soccer game for the ECS that was cancel but later pick back up and finished for over seas use.

Does anyone have that title and can that game still be purchased ?

I like Soccer and it would be more for me.

I saw a list of these unfinished ECS games and I would have sure like to them done.

To bad no one took the time later to complete them.

Ok I am getting off track but beleive me I am happy with the choices I made on getting the intellivision and ECS with the intellivoice.

Edited by Sean39

Cheap USB to RS-232 adapters involve using drivers on the PC side, different for each adapter. I've tried to use some of those, and they're quite hit and miss regarding what you can do with those. They are not at all passive adapters like e.g. the PS/2 to AT for older PC keyboards.

Of course there are more advanced designs like this one, but it would make no sense to buy unless one is a position where you desperately need one.

http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5031

As an alternative to a matrix printer, rather than looking for an ink jet printer whose ink tends to dry out quickly, I would look for a laser printer with serial interface. Many of the earlier HP LaserJet models like 4, 4M, 4MP, 5M, 5N, 4000, 5000 had serial interfaces and would even be decent workhorses for the day you might get a PC. However it seems those are not that frequent and cheap as I thought, but perhaps you can find something locally.

Anyway, I asked my friend about conducting some AUX tests but he hasn't replied yet. I'll let you know what he finds out.

Hi Carlsson

Ok sounds good. It not a real rush on the printer. I figure we will get something to be able to talk to the ECS and then be able to print.

For now she is saving her programs and then they can be loaded up . Then she has them back on the screen to look at.

So I have lots of time to do this in for a printer for the ECS.

Thanks

HI Everyone

I updated my profile,so this way my age shows and now I added Intellivision to my systems since really Atari systems

are not what I have anymore.

You can say now I am 100 percent on the Intellivision.

Thanks

• Like 1

FWIW, the ECS BASIC does use ASCII internally. The display routines shift the range down by 32 positions to match the GROM at display time. (The GROM has the same layout as ASCII, just shifted down 32 positions. That's the Intellivision encoding Sean39 gave above.) All of the keywords, keyboard scanning tables, etc. all are ASCII, and the ECS uses ASCII to talk to the outside world.

Indeed, if you follow this procedure in jzIntv, you can see that it sends ASCII codes to the UART:

• Start jzIntv with debugger and ECS support
  • In the debugger, type the following:
    • wE1
    • r
  • You should now be at the ECS title screen. Tap DISC.
  • At the BASIC/CARTRIDGE/MUSIC screen, type 4, 1, [Enter] on the controller keypad
  • Enter a small BASIC program
  • Type the following BASIC statements to list your program to the printer:
    • D=-1
    • CALL OUTP
    • LIST

You should see a stream of ASCII written out to location $E1, the UART data register. My own short program, 10 PRIN "HELLO", resulted in this output:

WR a=$00E1 d=0031 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162006445
 WR a=$00E1 d=0030 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162019980
 WR a=$00E1 d=0020 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162034914
 WR a=$00E1 d=0050 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162050066
 WR a=$00E1 d=0052 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162065000
 WR a=$00E1 d=0049 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162079934
 WR a=$00E1 d=004E CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162094868
 WR a=$00E1 d=0020 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162109802
 WR a=$00E1 d=0022 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162124736
 WR a=$00E1 d=0048 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162139670
 WR a=$00E1 d=0045 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162154604
 WR a=$00E1 d=004C CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162169538
 WR a=$00E1 d=004C CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162184472
 WR a=$00E1 d=004F CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162199406
 WR a=$00E1 d=0022 CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162214340
 WR a=$00E1 d=000D CP-1610          (PC = $7FE3) t=162229274

If you have an ASCII chart handy, you can see the sequence 31 30 20 50 52 49 4E 20 22 48 45 4C 4C 4F 22 0D is 10 PRIN "HELLO" followed by a carriage return (CR).

Probably the most interesting (and potentially frustrating) detail is that it sends only a CR to end the line. You need to be able to set whatever printer you use to treat CR as CR+LF, otherwise your printouts won't look quite right. Each new line will start directly below where the previous one ended, rather than at the start of the line.

Now, you might be wondering why I had you press '4' at the BASIC/CARTRIDGE/MUSIC screen. The keys 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 seem to select different baud rates and flow control settings for the printer. 4, 5, 6 seem to turn off flow control, while 7, 8, 9 leave it on. I don't know the baud rates selected, but I'd guess it's something like 300/600/1200.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

Probably the most interesting (and potentially frustrating) detail is that it sends only a CR to end the line.

So it's an early prototype Mac :D Actually, if memory serves this was common-ish in the era - I think Commodore did similar with their early systems. It was only the Unix side that chose LF when trimming down the bytes.

By random (and uninteresting) coincidence, I've been bit-banging at some big iron lately that has a terminal mode that expects only CR. If you send through a LF (solo or in combination), it becomes unhappy. It brings back a lot of memories.

So it's an early prototype Mac :D Actually, if memory serves this was common-ish in the era - I think Commodore did similar with their early systems. It was only the Unix side that chose LF when trimming down the bytes.

By random (and uninteresting) coincidence, I've been bit-banging at some big iron lately that has a terminal mode that expects only CR. If you send through a LF (solo or in combination), it becomes unhappy. It brings back a lot of memories.

Fun fact: The CFG parser in jzIntv handles CR, CR+LF, and LF line endings, because the Mac version of Intellivision Lives! used the CR line-endings. :D

The CR-only line endings go all the way back to the Apple ][ in the Apple world (and probably the Apple I). I think you're right about the Commodore, too. In fact, I think that applied to just about all of the Microsoft BASIC based systems except the MS-DOS-based IBM PC. MS-DOS systems were unique in their CR+LF ways, due DOS' CP/M heritage. (Which, in turn, goes all the way back to the teletype / DEC minicomputer era...)

And I flubbed this part:

Probably the most interesting (and potentially frustrating) detail is that it sends only a CR to end the line. You need to be able to set whatever printer you use to treat CR as CR+LF, otherwise your printouts won't look quite right. Each new line will start directly below where the previous one ended, rather than at the start of the line.

CR-only will keep overprinting the same line unless the printer supports a mode to expand it to CR+LF. CR means "go to start of line", and LF means "move the paper up." Durrrrhhh... I knew that.

Thus, I assume the Aquarius printer treats CR as CR + LF, since it supposedly works out of the box with both the Aquarius and the ECS. Any other printer: matrix, inkjet or laser will need to do likewise. I suppose much depends on what hardware one can obtain locally & cheap.

Hi Everyone

Ok I then know I will need to stay with the Aquarius printer since it does the CR+LF automatically. That might be the reason for the ECS

calling for that Aquarius printer. In the ECS basic I do not see a way to place a CR +LF for listing a program.

If there is please let me know so I could use a Dot Matrix printer which would print larger paper.

The only thing I have notice is that most the old Dot Matrix printers do not use a serial input but have the parallel input with the larger connector DB-25.

The Aquarius thermal printer is a serial type printer.

I am not saying there is not any serial printers that will print larger paper but most the printers use the parallel type cables.

Now USB on modern printers.

I am guessing the ECS is a Serial output since it uses a Stereo phono output. Which would allow a signal output on one line and return on the

other one.

This is only a guess at this point for the output on the ECS for a printer.

That information does help on the ASCII coding on the ECS.

Thanks

Hi Everyone

My daughter wanted Ms. PacMan for the intellivision. The Version written by Carl Muller JR works fine if you take the ECS out . If you place the ECS in line with the intellivision

Ms Pacman herself messes up and does not show her correctly. This is one cartridge that will not work if the ECS is used.

She turns into a messup looking red square with a yellow blotch following the red square. That what the character Ms Pacman looks like if the ECS is used, If you leave it out

Ms. Pacman comes up looking like she should. So What is happening? I thought when you choose Cartridge on the ECS Menu that it was a straight pass through for the cartridge,but

I am guessing it is not since this cartridge messes up with the ECS.

This is the first one I have ran into that messes up with the ECS.

Thanks

Sean

Edited by Sean39

Hi Everyone

My daughter wanted Ms. PacMan for the intellivision. The Version written by Carl Muller JR works fine if you take the ECS out . If you place the ECS in line with the intellivision

Ms Pacman herself messes up and does not show her correctly. This is one cartridge that will not work if the ECS is used.

She turns into a messup looking red square with a yellow blotch following the red square. That what the character Ms Pacman looks like if the ECS is used, If you leave it out

Ms. Pacman comes up looking like she should. So What is happening? I thought when you choose Cartridge on the ECS Menu that it was a straight pass through for the cartridge,but

I am guessing it is not since this cartridge messes up with the ECS.

This is the first one I have ran into that messes up with the ECS.

Thanks

Sean

You may want to post that in one of the Ms. Pac-Man threads as a bug. I thought we were discussing ECS BASIC programming here...

Hi Everyone

Ok I then know I will need to stay with the Aquarius printer since it does the CR+LF automatically. That might be the reason for the ECS

calling for that Aquarius printer. In the ECS basic I do not see a way to place a CR +LF for listing a program.

If there is please let me know so I could use a Dot Matrix printer which would print larger paper.

The only thing I have notice is that most the old Dot Matrix printers do not use a serial input but have the parallel input with the larger connector DB-25.

The Aquarius thermal printer is a serial type printer.

I am not saying there is not any serial printers that will print larger paper but most the printers use the parallel type cables.

Now USB on modern printers.

I am guessing the ECS is a Serial output since it uses a Stereo phono output. Which would allow a signal output on one line and return on the

other one.

This is only a guess at this point for the output on the ECS for a printer.

That information does help on the ASCII coding on the ECS.

Thanks

There is some details about the aquarius printer interface here ( http://archive.kontek.net/aqemu.classicgaming.gamespy.com/aqfaq2.htm).

If the ECS printer interface is the same than you should be able to use other serial printers with a custom cable and even parallel printers with a serial/parallel converter. According to that faq the Aquarius sends a line feed (but the ECS does not)? Either way many printers have an auto line feed on/off setting.

from the faq:

"The Aquarius uses a 1200 baud rate, 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, and no parity. It sends a line feed, so to avoid double-spacing set your printer for no line feed (sometimes called "carriage return only", "CR", "new line invalid", "line feed inhibit", and so forth). If your printer allows protocol selection, set it for Busy/Ready instead of X-on/X-off."

also from the faq (not sure what the third set of pins are):

MINI-STEREO PLUG - DB-25 - DB-9 - ?? - FUNCTION

Tip/Center of Plug - Pin 3 - Pin 2 - Pin 4 - Data to Printer ( RxD on printer; TxD on ECS)

Middle of Plug - Pin 20 - Pin 4 - Pin 2 - Printer Busy/Ready (DTR on printer; DSR on ECS)

Base/Outside - Pin 7 - Pin 5 - Pin 3 - Signal Ground

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Hi Mr Me

Thanks for that information on the printer. DZ thanks for the infor on Mr Pac Man. I only brought it up to you guys in case I was doing something wrong.

I had to unhook the entire computer just for her to play Ms Pac Man and then hook it all back up afterwards.

I had to unhook the ECS,Intellivoice, Tape recorder. At least I did not have to un hook a printer.

It alot to take down to just play Ms. Pacman and at first I thought my ECS was broken but all the other programs worked just fine.

So it some bug. They probably know and the ones up their probably just play games and do not program anyways.

I did not bring it up to get off of ECS programing but to just make sure I was not doing something stupid at my end.

Thanks

Sean

Edited by Sean39

Mr Me

I think the ECS may be the same as the Aquarius computer printer output. Anyways here is what in my book on the ECS and this is all there is said about it.

HOOK UP FOR PRINTER

This Section is for those who wish to add a printer to their system. The AQUARIUS Printer available from Mattel Eletronics is compatible with you intellivision computer Module.

It comes with a cable that has a a single plug at either end.( Consult your Aqurius Printer Manual for correct hook up on the printer side.)

Once youve connected the your printer to its cable,look at the back of your computer module. There is a jack,right next to the cassette jacks,Labelled AUX. Take the

remaining pin-Plug and inset it into the AUX JACK.

Other printers may be compatible with your computer Module. To find out if your printer is compatible. call one of the Serivice. Information numbers listed on page 92 of this book.

When you have completed hook up of your printer,use the program from page 10 that you wrote the balance the sound( if this program is still stored in memory) Simply type

D= -1 and press the RTN key

CALL OUTP and press the RTN key

A list of the program you wrote should print out on paper.

If you use D= 1 then that the TV screen and if D= -1 then that the printer.

This is in ECS basic.

This is all I have on the ECS module for a printer. Beond that I really do not know.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

Hi Everyone

I did what everyone said look local and find a printer. Ok Dallas Texas about 2 1/2 to 3 hours south west of me had a 1610 printer complete in the box new.

Un open paper and everthing else.

Only problem there was no Data cord to go from the printer to to computer. Even though it is listed in the unpacking list. The printer has everthing else on the packing

list. They sell alot of computer goods in Dallas and the a 5 hour round trip to see if they have another one of these printers with the data cord.

how can I get one of these cords. Please help.

I went around local like Carlson said and it paid off but I do not have a way to hook this printer up. By the way it is a computer thing that happens

about every 6 months in the Dallas Fortworth area. They had every type of computer you could think of. Commodores,Atari 400,800,130XE,ST,Falcons.

As well the Adam computers made by colleco, Yes they even had the Aquarius computers with everything from disk drives ,memory packs,printers,cartridges,and so much more. They even showed off new computer. I told the man I was dealing with what I had.

Anyways the Aquarius computers are not rare. These people have about 400 to 500 of them stored up new in boxes with all accessories

new. WhenI told him I had the ECS , he said alot of people have made the error of reading the box say computer module and think they are

getting a computer that would make an intellivision into a home computer.

He was about 70 to early 75 in age. He said I would have been better to waite and just bought an Aquarius computer since they can

be expanded in memory come with a word processor and there is even 64K ram packages for them. 32K he said is common but 64K

memory pack do exist. He said they have disk drives and so much more. Do not worry DZ even though the Aquarius computer were

not alot in price. I did not buy one since money is so limited. He did suggest in the future when they come around that since I do not have

alot of money that the Aquarius computer would be my best bet. Since there alot for them and they have thousands of accesories still

new for this computer. I am guessing they buy up all the old stock since they do alot of computer shows. They have warehouses full

of old computer still new in the boxes that were never used and because of this they can charge really low prices for everything.

I went for the printer and got one. It just to bad the cable was missing but everything is new and packaged.

It was a really cool computer show or what every you want to call it. I never saw so much computer things in my life in one place.

Someone in the begining of this thread said I would have been better to buy the aqurius computer well this older man told me the

same thing. and I believe he was probably more like in his early to mid 70's and he said he started in computers around 1967.

He was and adult back then and not a kid. He talked about being a kid in the 1940's and early 1950's.

He did tell me the ECS is not a real computer and only an add on cartridge to allow kids to try basic and see what it was like.

Anyways I guess that I learned my lesson on this but my daughter likes it and that where we are and she is using it like a real computer.

By the way the cheapest computer there was the Timex/Sinclair 1000 computers. They were selling new un open computer at $10.00 each.

16K Ram modules for them at $15.00 each. That pretty cheap for a computer and extra memory.

These computer shows sell computers really cheap. Just the long drive 2 1/2 hour to there and back home make for a long 5 hour drive.

Well I am still ECS with my daughter learning on it. I just need a printer cable now. since I have the printer and the correct paper for it.

The printer came with two un open rolls of paper so I did not buy any extra.

In six months they will be around again because they come all the time I found out every 6 months,so I can get more of the correct paper

then if I need it.

I just do not want to waite 6 months to get a printer cable. the picture of the cable is attatched to this message. Please help me to find one.

I have attatch photos of the unpacking list and data cord( printer cord)

Thanks

post-17711-0-21997000-1463803519_thumb.jpg

post-17711-0-05827200-1463804443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean39

I thought everyone said to get a used PC (sorry I couldn't help myself)

I saw the post about the printer cable in the main forum and there wasn't much there. And more people read that forum than the programming forum.

In the sketch on the printer side it looks like a stereo 3.5mm plug and a mono 2.5mm plug (that 3.5mm plug could be just mono). The FAQ said a regular stereo audio cable works so I would try that first. If that fails you can try making a cable; it only uses three wires so through trial and error you should eventually get it.

This would be my first guess.

3.5mm tip -> 3.5mm tip

3.5mm sleeve -> 3.5mm sleeve

3.5mm inner ring -> 2.5mm tip

Maybe there's another discussion group that the Aquarius collectors use more frequently. You can try emailing the contacts in the FAQ.

Edited by mr_me

5 hours worth of gas + $25 is still more money than a decent used PC would cost. Just sayin' ;)

With that said, holy crap - who the hell has unused 80s computers for sale for $10??? They could make an absolute KILLING on Ebay. I'm pretty sure an unused boxed Aquarius would bring $25-50 easily, around here. I'd pay that much for one without batting an eye. Those Sinclairs regularly sell for $30-50 on Ebay as well. Someone could make a decent side business of buying from these guys and then reselling on Ebay.

As for that cable, I highly doubt you'll ever find one cheap but the good news is that building one should be a breeze. Just find some various mono/stereo audio cables and start cutting them up. That kind of stuff can be purchased for literally pennies at any flea market/goodwill/garage sale. It's all analog signals with pretty high tolerances too, so you just need to match the wires. 10 minutes of experimentation should do it.

Hi FreeWheel

gas down here is only at $1.85 a gallon and I am not sur why it that low but it always seems cheaper than anyone elses.

I spent $25.00 on gas and that not going to buy me a PC computer. If I had any extra money the Aquarius computer would have been

the only one that I would have been able to afford. They priced at $65.00 complete and new in the box. These computer shows have

hundreds of dealers and the dealer I saw had warehouses full of computers and accessories of every kind of computer that exist.

They buy in large lots and bulk so the get them cheap and can sell them cheaper than anyone else.

Yes you could buy as many computers from them as you want and if you could make a profit on it. Well that would be a great bussiness.

For me I just wanted to have something up and runnung for my daughter and I have managed that.

I am just going to have to make the computer cable. It would have been nice to see the inputs wiring on the printer and it

it would have been really nice to know how mattel had wired the output on the ECS and it would be the same output as found on

the Aquarius printer. If I could find the printer output wiring for the Aquarius computer then it would be the same as the ECS.

Your right the cable is going to very hard to find . I am guessing the printers are common but the printer cable is not.

Even though every printer that sold for the Aquarius computers used this cable.

You would figure they would have made replacement cables for the printer.

Anyways do not know but that cable is very hard to find.

Yes I know some mention getting a PC but some said if I could not get a PC that even an Aquarius computer would have been

better then the ECS.

I have the ECS and plan to stay with it for my daughter till a later time comes that something else can be purchased.

This means when I get money. I just wanted a way she could print out her programs and other things.

They had PC's but remember with a PC you are paying for a complete computer with CD rom,Disk Drive. Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse.

Even a 286,386 or a 486 had pretty good price tags with them. since you are getting a complete computer with MonitormKeyboard, Mouse,modem,CDrom, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4

inch disk drives.

Even on ebay I found a working 286 computers selling for $377 dollars. The 386 computer also had a pretty good price and those are at least a 32bit computer.

You can buy broken PC's in hopes of getting them to run again but most I found were striped of memory,soundcard,Video card.

If there had been a PC that was low enough I would have purchased it ,so at least I could get up on the internet at home once this computer

was gone. Also then I could ask you guys what type of basic to start teaching her or language.

It ECS basic for now and if I do eventually get a PC computer Then I will let everyone know, The next computer show come around in 6 months and I plan to have money saved

up for a used PC computer if they have one there in my price range.

They have hundred of sellers and it a computer convention I believe where dealers come out from every part of the united states.

My daughter is at least learn from the ECS and that not a bad thing. I was able to get the printer cheap with original printer paper for that printer.

This is a good thing.

Now I did not want to get off the subject . I just hoping for help on the Aquarius 1610 printer and if anyone knew how to make the cable for it.

This way I do not wire it up wrong and destroy the printer,or taking out the ECS printer output where it no longer works.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39

Hi Everyone

Ok the printer uses one large phono jack with one really small phono jack. This is going into the back of the printer. Now on the ECS it uses the larger stereo phono jack.

Anyways this will be my last post on the 1610 printer and this did have to do with the ECS system so I hope this did not get off track to much.

Other wise I will not post anymore on the printer because I will probably just leave it in it original box with the paper and instructions. It was suppose to include

the cable but it was not in the box.

Now unless my daughter comes up with a really good ECS basic program or me then there is no more reason for me to post anything more.

If I do come up with a program that really decent then I will post the program. Which I know in this programing area most of you do not program in

ECS basic so what would be the point. I think most of you program in Inity Basic or some kind of machine language such as Hexadecimal or assembly language for

your games.

I am guessing there is not a lot of users of ECS basic or there may be none from what I am getting from all of this. I have learned there is alot you can do with ECS basic

and more than most people think that can be done. You just have to do it in a different way than the normal way of basic programing.

Arrays have been a big help in alot of the programs I have thought of even in the graphics area. Also the IF statement use in the correct way can get alot of results

to help get things done in the ECS programs. There alot you can do, and you really have to use everything in ECS basic has to offer. If you do then a decent

program can be written in it. Putting it simple you have to learn every trick in the book to get ECS basic to get what you want it to do.

Then a good basic program can be written and you do not end up with the same programs you could get out of Machine language coding.

There is no basic language anywhere that can give you the same results of a machine language written program.

Some come close but they depend on the programmer taking advantage of the poke and peek commands.

When you do that you are using machine language code anyways through the basic interpeter

Well thanks everyone with what help you did provide and others if you are disapointed this is an ECS basic thread.

I am sorry that I messed up an Inity Basic programing area.

At the time I thought that this was an intellivision programing area and I really did not know what Inity Basic was. I have some of an ideal now but

I would still have to learn it since it is not one of the basic language I learned but I can learn it.

Again thank you everyone and hope to talk to you later when I have any programs written in ECS basic.

That if anyone wants them because I really do not know how many people even program with an ECS or Emulator.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39