IGNORED

Favorite DOS classics

Wow, I was going to mention Friendlyware! Would you believe that most of my first experiences play, um, "classic arcade games" were in that program?

Sure, why not? :)

That mystery games disk I mentioned a couple posts back contained a Battleship game that could only be the Friendlyware version. We played a lot of Battleship in addition to Pac-Man PC Man. Battleship was tits! :-D

Hey, I think I had PC-Man too! ASCII!!!! YES!

I know there was a Pac-Man game on Friendlyware, but it's not the same game. Both have ASCII graphics. PC-Man looks like Pac-Gal but with a smaller, vertically-oriented maze.

If it's indeed the same game, you're the first person I've ever heard of, besides my friend, that knows that game. :) There's seriously ZERO information on the internet that I can find about it. Best I can find is Friendlyware Pac-Man, Orion Software PC-Man (completely different game), and Pac-Gal/Girl.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the Red Baron, Dune II, and MegaRace. MegaRace was the "pack-in" game when I got a Packard Bell Multimedia PC in 1995.

Some of my other favorites: Aces of the Deep, Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe, A-10 Tank Killer v1.5, King's Quest IV.

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 1

BassGuitari--I was thinking about this. I did have the Friendlyware one, but I DID have one called PC-Man as well that sounds like what you are describing! It came with a group of other similar games, including a text one called Empires that it took me FOR-EV-ER to find (not the well-known ones!).

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the Red Baron, Dune II, and MegaRace. MegaRace was the "pack-in" game when I got a Packard Bell Multimedia PC in 1995.

Ha, MegaRace! Who could forget Lance Boyle. I was in the same boat; my parents bought a new Packard Bell, also in 1995. 3D Body (or whatever it was called) and that dinosaur program were pretty neat at the time, if you were 9 or 10 like I was. Or the 1994 Sports Illustrated Sports Almanac. :-D

MegaRace was the shit. The game itself was pretty decent (and the graphics were impressive at the time), but my brother and I thought it was cool because it was "a 3DO game." And where I grew up, the 3DO was an exotic console that was still very highly regarded at the time for its CD-quality sound and better-than-anything-we've-ever-seen-before graphics.

But anyway, yeah, I spent most of the summer of 1995 playing MegaRace on our Packard Bell. :)

• Like 1

BassGuitari--I was thinking about this. I did have the Friendlyware one, but I DID have one called PC-Man as well that sounds like what you are describing! It came with a group of other similar games, including a text one called Empires that it took me FOR-EV-ER to find (not the well-known ones!).

That's exciting to hear. :) Just curious, was it on a disk by itself or were those other games on the disk with it?

Wolfenstein 3d

Hexen,

Space Quest 3-4

Leisure suit Larry 3

Monkey Island

F-19 Stealth Fighter

Rick Dangerous

Captain Comic

Ba’al

Aldo’s adventures

Commander Keen 1-4

Cosmo’s Adventure

Duke Nuke’m

Prince of Persia

Thexder

Silpheed

Stargoose

Robocop

ZZT

Islands of Danger

Bubble Ghost

Worms 2

Lemmings

Scorched Earth

VGA Sharks

joust

Syndicate

Death track

Archon

Boulder Dash

Space Station

Tetris

Neuromancer

Eye of the Beholder

Indiana Jones Last Crusade

Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis

Simcity

Last Half of Darkness

Veil of Darkness

• Like 1

I don't know if it's what the OP intended, but I was interpreting this thread as "old skool DOS games" meaning the DOS games before VGA & SoundBlaster became standard. They're totally different eras of games, and pretty much different hardware. The VGA/SoundBlaster era of DOS games is one of the greatest platforms or eras in gaming.

I don't know if it's what the OP intended, but I was interpreting this thread as "old skool DOS games" meaning the DOS games before VGA & SoundBlaster became standard. They're totally different eras of games, and pretty much different hardware. The VGA/SoundBlaster era of DOS games is one of the greatest platforms or eras in gaming.

You are correct oh wise one.

One of my favorite games from that era "CGA/EGA" era was Microsoft Decathlon. My buddy got it for free as gift when he visited Computerland with his dad during Xmas 1982, We played it all-the-time, except when his dad was home because we were always in danger of breaking the keyboard on his $2000 PC XT while trying to run in that game.

Does DOSSHELL count?

Where do I begin?

Civilization

Stunts

Scorched Earth

Gorilla (qbasic)

Snake (qbasic)

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

Prince of Persia

Privateer (part of the Wing Commander games)

X-Wing/Tie Fighter

Dune II

Tetris

Mean Streets.

Edited by BillyHW

• 3 weeks later...

Scorched Earth

Scorched Earth is interesting, because Angry Birds ripped it off and made billions off of it. However, I can't feel too sorry for SE's creators, because they in turn ripped it off of Artillery Dual for the Atari 2600. What goes around, comes around I guess. :)