IGNORED

Adventure...7800 Version?

SoundGammon

I once thought about this idea - one of the items you can find is a BAG. You can store multiple items in it. When you drop it, all the items lay around your character and you will need that moment to choose your 'main/carried' item. Touching the rest of the items while carrying the BAG will place them back in it.

I like this idea because it still forces the Adventure style of gameplay where you have to swap carried items. If you are always armed with the sword, then much of the anxiety is gone. But with the BAG idea , you can at least transport multiple items across screens and it reduces backtracking a bit.

• Like 3

Well, there's two buttons on a 7800 stick/pad, I say allow holding two items at the same time[...]

I once thought about this idea - one of the items you can find is a BAG.[...]

Both of these ideas are pretty elegant. I think if the territory is to be expanded for 7800 Adventure, multiple object holding needs to be a thing. Even in 2600 Adventure, when you're in the black castle and realize you need something from the white castle it's a pain in the ass.

One neat thing came to mind when I considered carrying multiple objects - it could add "crafting" to the puzzle element. 2 objects could be combined to a different effect. Eg. a sword and shield might make you a more effective fighter in general. A magic wand and sword might be the only way to affect magical beasties. A magnet and arrows might allow you to hit a metal switch hidden around a corner.

Lots of puzzle potential with that mechanic, I think, and it still leaves a clean simple interface like the original.

• Like 2

I once thought about this idea - one of the items you can find is a BAG. You can store multiple items in it. When you drop it, all the items lay around your character and you will need that moment to choose your 'main/carried' item. Touching the rest of the items while carrying the BAG will place them back in it.

I like this idea because it still forces the Adventure style of gameplay where you have to swap carried items. If you are always armed with the sword, then much of the anxiety is gone. But with the BAG idea , you can at least transport multiple items across screens and it reduces backtracking a bit.

Sounds good to me, that was always the dilemma of gameplay expansion, how to keep it feeling like Adventure but without turning into a standard RPG. BAG sounds good, as long as it doesn't carry much it could help with the backtracking woes of holding one item while still keeping that puzzle element towards what you bring.

Both of these ideas are pretty elegant. I think if the territory is to be expanded for 7800 Adventure, multiple object holding needs to be a thing. Even in 2600 Adventure, when you're in the black castle and realize you need something from the white castle it's a pain in the ass.

One neat thing came to mind when I considered carrying multiple objects - it could add "crafting" to the puzzle element. 2 objects could be combined to a different effect. Eg. a sword and shield might make you a more effective fighter in general. A magic wand and sword might be the only way to affect magical beasties. A magnet and arrows might allow you to hit a metal switch hidden around a corner.

Lots of puzzle potential with that mechanic, I think, and it still leaves a clean simple interface like the original.

That is definitely what interested me about dual wielding was combination effects using 2 items whether separately or combined into another use. Mostly just not sure with the 2 buttons, could just double what Adventure had with 1 button, or use 2 buttons to iron out some of the control limitations of that system.

Why not instead of a bag that dumps it's contents, button 1 pulls up a pause menu where you can swap items. Button 2 swaps out the item in the menu, and uses it in the field. Not quite as elegant as Ledgend of Zelda's menu system, but it will allow you to stock multiple weapons, spells, healing items, etc. Or maybe always have your sword equipped to button 2, and access the bag through button 1, and use the selected weapon, healing, etc immediately.

• 3 weeks later...