Wii vs. Gamecube

Bixler

Console Battle!  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, and why?

• Wii
    • Gamecube

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Tossing Homebrew on the Wii really makes it an issue of user experience. With the exception of spotty the expected N64 emulation support You can cheaply have so much of the Nintendo library in one place. For selection I give the Wii the node hands down. I just find the dongley controllers a distraction. I so wish I didn't.

Edited by omegadot
  • Like 1

as breakthrough as it was for the wii, i found the gamecube a better overall system. games were great (loved the first party games, and others like the star wars games and eternal darkness), and found since the cube was close in hardware to the xbox and ps2 that the games held up well against the other systems. the wii i found very gimmicky. sure it had some great stuff on it to which i still play to this day, but overall i find most of the games unoriginal and clones of the same concept based on the controller. that's what i felt anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

I got both consoles at launch day and loved and played each for their entire lifespan. Still have (and will likely always have) super solid collections for both. It was the Wii by a hair because of the deeper game library and backwards compatibility. Throw in VC and the fact that it was a good party console, and that pushes it just over the top for me. I'd say I have a soft-spot for the Gamecube more than the Wii, but the pragmatist in me realizes the Wii was a better overall offering just by a hair.

Tough choice for sure.

Gameboy Player------GameCube

Holding Handle--------GameCube

Swappable Memory--GameCube

Solid Titles--------------GameCube

Backward Comp-------Wii

Component Hookup--Wii (ok well more reasonably affordable)

Controllers--------------Tie

Good for Partys--------Wii ( GC is good but Rock Band)

Now my last gripe would be system build and stand up ability. Bought the GameCube new near launch and it died 2 years back finally. Bought the Wii at launch and it died within 2 months and took 4 months to get fixed and back to me (it went back and forth a few times) Then it finally died 4 years ago.

Longevity-------GameCube

I love both though.

• 1 month later...

Aren't you using the wearing out your disk drive though? I got a SNES to play Game Boy games (",)

I've read that the disc is used only to start the GB Player. It is said that you can even pull the disc out and it won't stop playing. I've never tried it myself though.

I've read that the disc is used only to start the GB Player. It is said that you can even pull the disc out and it won't stop playing. I've never tried it myself though.

Hmm I might try that since I have more than one cube and I know I can get more since my local shop has a stack of them. I just don't want to ruin or lose the disk but that should not stop anything.

That will give me something to do later if I get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For me it's definitely the Wii. There is just something about being able to have part of the control in each hand that I love. Yes, it can be a bit clumsy with certain games, but the library more than makes up for it. I probably would have never played Gamecube games if it wasn't for the Wii, and now I have 2 controllers and like 15 games. Gotta love backward compatibility. I really love both Super Mario Galaxy games and so many others. Little Kings Story, Okami, No More Heroes. Shit, even Shawn White on the balance board is way fun. The multiplayer game play in New Super Mario Bros is exceptional, and all 4 of us can sit down and have a blast playing it. The Virtual Console is just icing on the cake. The first time I played Super Castlevania IV was on the Wii. With this...

post-22383-0-88790700-1481167613_thumb.jpg

I've seen people rip on this controller, but I absolutely love it. Everything is laid out perfectly for me. Anyway, definitely the Wii for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Aren't you using the wearing out your disk drive though? I got a SNES to play Game Boy games (",)

I was concerned about this as well. A few months ago I picked up a player with a disc on ebay and tested it. To my delite the disc is only accessed on start up. You can open the lid and it won't effect anything.