IGNORED

Sega Genesis to Atari Jaguar controller adapters?

leglock

I have seen tutorials on turning a Genesis controller to a rotary Atari Jaguar controller, so it made me wonder if anyone produces adapters to use a Sega Genesis six button controller on the Jag? Looking for some kind of alternative to getting the experience of the pro controller without having to pay the crazy eBay prices.

• Like 1

For starters you'd need to use a microprocessor to decode the Genesis signal and then you would need to convert it into the matrix format that the Jag uses. I'm not sure if the 6-button signal decoding can be done with off the shelf chips or not, that's beyond my skillset.

For starters you'd need to use a microprocessor to decode the Genesis signal and then you would need to convert it into the matrix format that the Jag uses. I'm not sure if the 6-button signal decoding can be done with off the shelf chips or not, that's beyond my skillset.

Ah I did not realize that. I am not very educated in electronics so I had no idea.

Years go I cannabilized two controllers to do this. Took a genesis extender cable, cut off one end and ran it into a jag controller. Inside the jag controller I soldered wires to the joypad and button contacts. Made sure wire pattern matched genesis controller pinout. I think I had to open the Genesis joystick and have the wires bypass the pcb. I remember there were not enough wires in the extender cable for three buttons. Added mono audio jacks to each controller to run another wire for C button. Pad and buttons on genesis joystick and keypad / start /option on jag controller all worked. Used it back in the day to play a lot of Defender 2000 and Tempest 2000.

Probably easier now to just make a controller from scratch. Take pcb from jag controller, put it in a box and connect to your favorite arcade controller stick, buttons and phone keypad.