IGNORED

New console time for Yar!

Yar_2084

So, I'm getting a bit bored of my Wii, I love it, and love the group I play CoD Black Ops and MW3 with, but I'm wanting to play some other multiplayer games. I'm looking at either a PS3 or a 360 and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which has the better games and which has the better online support. I realise these are a generation old, but yeah?

I'm leaning more towards a ps3, no membership fee and supports the Playstation 2 av cables, but I'm told 360 would be a better option as it won the gen.

What do you guys think?

Personally I think it's a matter of what games you like. I have a PC where Steam covers many games from both libraries, and for platform-exclusive games I tend to prefer Japanese style games.

So the PS3 is a better choice for me. If you're into FPS and the more American style of games the XBox might be better.

I don't care much about Kinect and those motion games but there is a difference in there as well; the PS move seems closer to the Wii.

Online with the PS3 you get PS+ which for a few bucks a month gives you discounts and a few free games per month. With that you can build up your library.

But if you don't have one I'd consider a PC for TV gaming first.

• Like 1

The ps3 has demon's souls and a bunch of japanese RPGs, plus the Sony exclusives.

Xbox 360 has The japanese shooters and the MS exclusives.

I have to say right now a crap gaming PC will Play a huge ammounbt of the last gen games way better than the consoles can, the Prices tend to be ridiculously low and the Overall library you'll get out of it is going to be massively bigger. But if you have PC allergy, that's the Overall difference between the 2.

I got the 360 because of the shooters and because XBOX live Gold with the 2 games you get free every month is a good value if you buy it discounted. You do Keep those games after the plan Ends.

Either way you'll have a huge library of good games, but seriously, a PC will do better.

What games do you like playing?

• Like 1

PS3 plays PS1 games and mildly upscales them for you out of the box; there's a ton of stuff available thru the store (PS1, PS2, some Neo Geo, a handful of PC Engine, lots of arcade titles and just tons of digital games of all kinds), and more if you make yourself a Japanese account (and get a way to pay in yen). You can use it as a media server, too (slightly easier than the 360, altho' it can be used as a media server, as well). Honestly, altho' I play it a lot, the PS3 is used primarily as a media server in our house. No region locking. Lots of cross play opportunities thru PSN (some stuff will work on a Vita or PS4 for free; nice if you ever get one of those).

360 is good... but Gold will go away at some point, and some games (particularly the fun indy games, of which there are quite a few) won't work anymore when the marketplace goes away. There are ways around that, but they require you getting your console modded (I guess I'll have to have that done eventually). It's somewhat backcompatible with the OG Xbox, and will play SOME japanese import games. I largely have mine for the indy games and the arcade and the japanese shoot 'em ups that it will play. You may be able to play some 360 games if you ever go up to the XBox One.

I've both, but have got WAY more out of the PS3.

• Like 1

I hardly played my launch PS3 during the first couple years because it didn't have a lot of great exclusives like it does now. I'd say get both, but if you have to get just one I'd say the PS3. I just don't miss having a 360. Most of the games I played I got on PS3 or PC. Plus the Xbox One is getting better backwards compatibility.

You can also build a gaming PC rig that has last gen quality graphics cheap too if you want to think about that. I would look at each console's exclusives and go from there. Just get a new model because the original models don't last. And the PS3 might have an edge for you too if you don't have a Blu Ray player. I rewatched Blade Runnner The Final Cut recently on a 40 inch tv and it looked amazing.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

The ps3 has demon's souls and a bunch of japanese RPGs, plus the Sony exclusives.

Xbox 360 has The japanese shooters and the MS exclusives.

I have to say right now a crap gaming PC will Play a huge ammounbt of the last gen games way better than the consoles can, the Prices tend to be ridiculously low and the Overall library you'll get out of it is going to be massively bigger. But if you have PC allergy, that's the Overall difference between the 2.

I got the 360 because of the shooters and because XBOX live Gold with the 2 games you get free every month is a good value if you buy it discounted. You do Keep those games after the plan Ends.

Either way you'll have a huge library of good games, but seriously, a PC will do better.

What games do you like playing?

PC gets recommended a lot, but I can pick up a second hand 360 or ps3 for £60/70($100?) and I don't have to do anything to the hardware or os. But I've not looked too into PCs, so maybe they are cheaper than I thought?

With regards to games, I only really have my eye on GTA V and a COD or two. I enjoy shorter RPGs, adventure action games, some fps/3rdps. At the minute I'm playing a lot of Black Ops/MW3, Monster Hunter 4 and Tri Force Heroes for 3ds.

The PC is more expensive than an old console for sure. But it will Play most games that gen much better than the consoles. It's your choice. GTA for example runs very poorly on last gen. And the newer CoD won't look very nice. Not sure if they drop Frames. But if you like playing FPS online with a Controller you might want to stick with a console.

One of my favorite games of all times is Dark Souls, and if you like RPGS and Monster hunter you will potentially like it also, but the framerate on the consoles is very poor, while on a decent PC it's much better. But you*'re still looking at some 250 Pounds for a very cheap gaming Pc. I wouldn't even recommend that, because for more Money you get more out of the experience.

Now the Advantage of PC is that the Price of the games can get outrageously cheap, while on consoles they hold their value. But PC is pretty much 100% digital only.

In Terms of JRPGS the PS3 has the edge on the xbox 360 for sure. But many games run better on the 360...

I find this decision very hard, because xbox360 and PS3 are very similar. Aparently what you want is to get one of These consoles because they're dirt cheap right now and just get a half dozen games for them and have some fun on low Investment. In that case there really is Little difference between them. MAny Chose the console based on what Controller they like better, or wether they want to have a blue-ray Player.

• Like 1

Why not a PS4 or Xbone?

that is an interesting question, but in that case I would invest the Money on a PC. Library is larger and the new gen consoles have a large ammount of the disadvantages of PC. Not to mention the games are considerably more expensive.

Still a question worth an answer. But I guess the answer is Price. Last gen is less than half the Price used.

• Like 1

PS3 is honestly a bit more versatile, at the moment, anyway. It plays PS1 games and plain ol' cds... it also has better media player capabilities than PS4 does for whatever reason. On the other hand, PS4 has more of the latest fun digital indie games.

Also, PS3 is a bit cheaper.

If it's not for exclusive games I'd go for a PC. Yes initial investment is bigger, but later you can upgrade by only switching the graphics card every few years.

You will instantly have a massive back-catalogue of anything ever made for a PC, access to free mods improving games performance or features, and the ability to use any console controllers via USB adapters.

I like my consoles (newer ones are Wii U and PS3) but I play on them stuff you'd probably never get on PC such as Smash Bros, Katamari Damacy, Outrun Arcade, Afterburner, Soul Calibur, Tales series, etc. I was suprised when FFXIII and sequels were ported to PC. Got them on sale for peanuts...

• Like 1

If it's not for exclusive games I'd go for a PC. Yes initial investment is bigger, but later you can upgrade by only switching the graphics card every few years.

You will instantly have a massive back-catalogue of anything ever made for a PC, access to free mods improving games performance or features, and the ability to use any console controllers via USB adapters.

I like my consoles (newer ones are Wii U and PS3) but I play on them stuff you'd probably never get on PC such as Smash Bros, Katamari Damacy, Outrun Arcade, Afterburner, Soul Calibur, Tales series, etc. I was suprised when FFXIII and sequels were ported to PC. Got them on sale for peanuts...

Truth is, you don't have to ever upgrade the PC. If we're talking aobut someone considering a dead console as a purchase, not being able to Play the latest AAA games shouldn't be a Problem. Still you are right. You can upgrade it down the line. Even if you do a full upgrade you can still usually Keep at least storage, the case and power supply.

The fact is, between Humbler Store, GOG and steam the ammount of games out there is just overwhelming, and 90% of them run on a "bad" PC. I have a GTX 750ti and I'm very happy. I even Play SFV (at low Settings, but I Play it. the game is not out on anything except PC and PS4...)

But again, if you go Play online shooters with a Controller using a PC you'll be eaten alive.

• Like 2

As stated, it's going to depend on certain things you like or prefer.

Personally, I've had a PS3 and a 360, both almost from launch, and my PS3 was barely ever used. It's still in outstanding shape, other than a loose PS logo on the front. Most gaming buddies were 360 also, so that played a factor in it.

I prefer consoles to PCs really, a pc of decent spec is well out of the realms I can afford.

With regards to actual games and exclusives, I have no allegiance to any system and any games, apart from Nintendo's stuff, I'm really out of the loop for the past two generations.

All I want is to be able to play Call of Duty whatever and maybe GTA V online with other people, thats all. Maybe some MMO if they still exist on these systems.

At this point in time I'd say PS3 but you cant go wrong with either. If you want to play PS2 and PS1 games then look for certain models....watch some of Metal Jesus's videos.

If you do pick up one there is a Call of Duty sale going on right now on the store , I think it lasts till next tuesday.

Quick thought:

If you get a 360, get one of the newer chrome controllers, if you get a PS3 get Uncharted 2 or anything from Naughty Dog.

I have zero interest in either of these consoles to be honest.

I get that. The only issue with this statement is if you want to play the latest games, you aren't going to get them on the PS3 or 360 (Say, your latest Call of Duty, or whatever next GTA hits). Support for those platforms is going to be winding down pretty quickly. If it's old titles you want, then yeah, they are good investments and have a lot of games to choose from.

I have zero interest in either of these consoles to be honest.

It's interesting you say you have no interest in a new gen console, but all games you said you want to Play Play better on them...

but yeah, just get a PS3. the online is free. and then pray it stays up...

It's interesting you say you have no interest in a new gen console, but all games you said you want to Play Play better on them...

but yeah, just get a PS3. the online is free. and then pray it stays up...

Look better or play better? An 8th gen machine just costs too much for me to justify, and I don't like the direction the consoles are going. I would get a Wii u but the price for used hardware and games is too much. I will probably go for the ps3 in a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...