IGNORED

Dug out my 5200 stuff

TheClassyGamer

So after some thought I was considering thinning out my collection of stuff. Anyhow I started digging out some stuff and so far here is what I've come up with.

8 of my 10 controllers are in various states of not working. Well, that gives me two that work at least. Though I guess it is only a matter of time before they die off. So I need to see about getting replacement internals.

2 wico sticks are super screwy. One i think has a short in the cable and both just stutter about on one side of the screen. I would guess there is no hope for these two.

3 more seem to work for the most part but I can't adjust them to center. I can release the locks and move them all about but can't get them to stay adjusted to center. I don't know if they just need cleaned or such. Is there any way to fix these.

Also, I've a four port system that won't recognize any controllers. Don't guess there is much hope for that. I was thinking of swapping the bios out of it to my 2 port system.

If all goes well I would like to have two good controllers and two back up ones for the one system I plan on keeping.

Also, played Missile Command for quite a while tonight. I forgot how much I liked that game.

• Like 1

Sticks were never self centering even back in the day. Some use rubber bands to center the internals like this.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228883-self-centering-joystick-idea/

Well, yeah I guess I should have been more clear. I know my stock ones don't, the wico command control sticks do. They have some adjustments but i can't get them right. 3 of the ones I have will center fine. I'm in hopes of being able to fix them. I can make the stick physically go to center and stay but the cursor on screen goes off to one side.

One of them I know is an issue with the cord. The others though it is the sticks. I've tried them with several different y cables and keypads just to be sure.

Sadly I'm not much on fixing stuff like this. Though I did manage to find another good Wico controller, but also turned up two more bad stock 5200 controllers.

Its funny because I like playing some games with the stock controllers and some games with the Wico controllers. I think it is the centering that does it. Missile command is more fun for me with the stock controllers for example but pac-man I like the Wico stick better.

I'm thinking pretty hard about getting one of those adapters to let me use like a Genesis controller or old Atari stick and paddle. I bet that would be a blast.

I need to come up with a good working trackball now. Mine the buttons all work but the ball won't register any movement.

I'm going to start listing my extra stuff on ebay to hopefully build up the funds to buy the rebuild kits for and maybe a trackball or such or one of those digital controller adapters.

I need to come up with a good working trackball now. Mine the buttons all work but the ball won't register any movement.

The buttons are just switches. The ball movement requires more sophisticated circuitry.

Have you opened it up to see if the optical sensors are full of crud? Clean it up really well and try it again.

They are very simple devices to open up and inspect. The ball and rollers with the shutter wheels on them can fall out but anybody who can tie their own shoes should be able to take one apart and put it back together.

There are 5 chips, all socketed in all of the CX53's that I've worked on. They're all still readily available. It's *possible* that both of the optical sensors are bad and I don't know if a suitable replacement existrs. Still, it would be worth a shot for you to try to fix it.

All I can say is...

Coin Controls: Competition Pro Joystick

It doesn't work with all the games, but it's the best solution if you want to use a digital stick.

They're becoming harder to find these days... although there are quite a few on ebay at the moment of this posting.

Edited by 7800

All I can say is...

Coin Controls: Competition Pro Joystick

It doesn't work with all the games, but it's the best solution if you want to use a digital stick.

They're becoming harder to find these days... although there are quite a few on ebay at the moment of this posting.

That's a new one to me. I'm going to look into it now.

That's a new one to me. I'm going to look into it now.

What I forgot to mention is... you need to use it in conjunction with the 5200 stick. In other words, You will need it to use the number pad, start, reset, and pause buttons.

I have a competition pro. Its ok but not the best.

It's got cherry switches for the stick and leaf switches for the buttons, For me, it doesn't get any better than that.

Which stick would you say is the best?

I would love to be more than happy to help you out sir, we got a 5200 into our game store here, no one knew how to fix or do anything with this beast, the 3 of the original controllers didnt work at all, no response from any of them, I did a well cleaning and adjustments on the sticks, they work like new, I would love to help you out with your on brand original controllers that are not working just pm me if you are interested thanks! :-D