IGNORED

FINALLY found a Genesis Model 2 3/4 MoBo VA 4

Rick Dangerous

VA4 Score! :D https://www.ebay.com/itm/223456555156

It only took me like a year of searching, but I finally found a VA4 Model 2 that looks to be in good condition and was priced reasonably. I figure after reselling the games and 6-button controllers it came bundled with the system will end up only setting me back $30 or so, which I'm totally cool with. I'll be really excited to see how the graphics and sound compare to my usual VA6 Model 1 High-Def Genesis when it arrives in the mail, and eventually setting up the VA4 Model 2 with a 32X and Sega CD Model 2 later down the line. :)

Wow that's awesome. The guy apparently had no idea what he was selling.

It's here! :D

aHlJXFZ.jpg

eZTJWOY.jpg

Nu0OhIU.jpg

After spending some time trying it out tonight I can safely say that everything I had heard about the Model 2 VA4 being just as good as any Model 1 High-Def Genesis was 100% accurate. The picture and sound are both definitely on par with my Model 1 High-Def VA6 system and just a joy to behold. There's none of the color oversaturation or blurry pixels that I used to put up with from my old Model 2 VA3 system, everything just looks sharp and clean and the sound quality is wonderful to boot. I'm really looking forward to setting this puppy up with a 32X and Sega CD Model 2 and seeing what it can do! :)

• Like 1

Spoiler alert: it'll play Sega CD and 32X games really well. :lol:

I'd imagine so, since that's kinda what it's supposed to do. :lol: I just meant that when I had a 32X and Sega CD in the past they were always hooked up to a VA3 Model 2, so I'm hoping that I might get a little boost in picture quality with the new VA4 since regular Genesis games look significantly better on it. On the other hand, I don't know how much of the video processing in 32X and Sega CD games are handheld by the add-ons and how much is done by the Genesis itself, so it's possible that they might not look any better at all when the video is being piped out from the mushroom on top.

Edited by Jin

I'd imagine so, since that's kinda what it's supposed to do. :lol: I just meant that when I had a 32X and Sega CD in the past they were always hooked up to a VA3 Model 2, so I'm hoping that I might get a little boost in picture quality with the new VA4 since regular Genesis games look significantly better on it. On the other hand, I don't know how much of the video processing in 32X and Sega CD games are handheld by the add-ons and how much is done by the Genesis itself, so it's possible that they might not look any better at all when the video is being piped out from the mushroom on top.

I don't think the 32X does too much but it might cause some interference. I'm relatively sure it doesn't have its own composite video converter. A model 2 Genesis with an Insurrection Industries triple bypass board can't output composite because the composite chip on the device has a few pins lifted to remove interference. My triple-bypassed model 2 could not even do composite with 32X video added, so I think that means the 32X doesn't add any of that back. The 32X itself worked fine, but the whole setup could only output RGB just like the Genesis alone. I think that bodes well for you, because your Genesis should be the device generating sync and composite video.

• Like 1

The 32x has its own video encoder.So when you have one attached, it is taking the RGB off the Genesis and you get the output from the video encoder from the 32x. That includes when the Sega CD is in use too of course. So yes, using a 32x can frequently clean up the video from the older model Genesis systems.

However, I believe it is just taking in the signals it can see from the Genesis and cleans that up through the onboard video encoder. As a result, when you had the composite circuits disabled in your triple bypass RGB, that meant no composite was being sent to the 32x either. And I'm curious how much of a difference the triple bypass is compared to say..lifting Pin 50 off the VDP? Cause lifting that pin or cutting that trace out of the circuit pretty much gets rid of like 95% of the jail bars that plague the earlier model 1 units.

However, I believe it is just taking in the signals it can see from the Genesis and cleans that up through the onboard video encoder. As a result, when you had the composite circuits disabled in your triple bypass RGB, that meant no composite was being sent to the 32x either. And I'm curious how much of a difference the triple bypass is compared to say..lifting Pin 50 off the VDP? Cause lifting that pin or cutting that trace out of the circuit pretty much gets rid of like 95% of the jail bars that plague the earlier model 1 units.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I know I'm straying from the point of this thread, but I did it because it was a VA 1.8 Genesis that sounded like garbage. A VA4 model 2 I'd never mod. The cost to do the Triple Bypass vs a Mega Amp was negligible...like $30 extra, so I figured why not.

I just won one on eBay. Not advertised but clearly a VA4 in the pictures. I have zero need for it but Ive always wanted one and at 50 I figured why not. The third party controller and RF adapter it comes with are LOL but the system itself is all Im interested in.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183747011999

Edited by derFunkenstein

I actually wound up getting a grand total of 5 Sega Genesis units since last summer.

Picked up a Model 1 VA6 from ebay for either $25 or $30 sold as not working. It worked, the RF switch sent with it was junk. I ordered a composite adapter off the net for like $15 (got one with the 3.5mm stereo adapter to hook into the front) and it works like a treat.

Then I picked up a model 2 unit from a local game store, not knowing really the difference or what I got at the time just jacked up because I got a sega genesis with a controller, power adapter, copy of sonic 2 and copy of mortal kombat 2 for a total of like $25 and tax (it was a local retro store special). Turns out it's a VA4 Model 2 and puts out some really nice composite video.

Then I decided to just scour ebay on a whim a month later and found a listing for two Model 2 genesis units and in with them was a full board unit and ANOTHER VA4! I paid $20 for the pair, advertised as not working. Both needed cleaned up, DC jacks re soldered and controller ports re soldered. After that they work like champs. (I fully stripped, cleaned including cart slots, and re soldered DC jacks and controller ports on ALL of my model 2 units)

Finally I just bought about a month ago a Sega Genesis Model 2, Sega 32X and Sega CD Model 2 combo off of ebay for $113 and some change (and I think like $10 or $15 shipping). The Model 2 is a full board and works (haven't given it the regular treatment the others got yet though), the 32X works (had to order a video cable to go between genesis and 32X) and the Sega CD is somewhat working but I think the laser is shot.

Basically $200 invested into 5 Genesis units (including two VA4 model 2's) a 32X and a Sega CD! Not too shabby.

I was also able to get an original mega everdrive v1 from ebay for $70 which I though was pretty good. Not quite as good as the X7 but good enough for my needs.

I ordered some reset switches from crossbow as 4 of the 5 model 2 units I have are in need of a new reset switch, they don't work at all. Haven't got around to that yet.

Now on to the point of all this... I'd like to sell off the two full board model 2 units BUT my main VA4 unit seems to not work with the 32X? The carts just never boot, everdrive or the sonic 2 cart. Works like a charm with a full board hooked to it. Does the VA4 unit have issues with the 32X that any of you have noticed?

False alarm I guess, I just pulled out my other VA4 (the one from the ebay lot of two broken consoles) and tried to see if I could get it to work with the 32X. At first, no it wouldn't. Then I pulled it out and popped in the Sonic 2 cart and that wasn't working either.... so I reseated it a few times and nothing, reseated it a final time and it started working. I then put the 32X back in and put Sonic 2 in it, and it worked.

I would normally guess it's cause the 32X was dirty causing it not to boot some times, but that wouldn't explain why the full board I got with the 32X and Sega CD worked perfectly with the 32X every time and I really haven't even cleaned it yet.

I bet I just didn't have it seated well in the VA4's or perhaps their cart slots are a bit looser than the full board I had good success with?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have two genesis 2 va4 consoles. One is a Majesco that says to use an mk-1479 ac adapter on the bottom but it came with the mk-2103 ac that sega model 2 consoles use. Wondering if it will ruin the console. I use a new retrogamecave adapter for my Sega va4 and wonder if it will be alright to use with the majesco.  I also stumbled upon the fact that the Retro-bit composite/stereo cables I have do not output true stereo. The wiring is mixed up. I had to order some new cables from a shop based in England after finding a recommended cable on a forum. Going to have to wait 2-3 weeks to get them in the mail and see if they work. I find it bewildering that this revision was still bundled with rf when it came out. I was searching for official model 2 composite cables with stereo and they are rare.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, Sharpie said:

I have two genesis 2 va4 consoles. One is a Majesco that says to use an mk-1479 ac adapter on the bottom but it came with the mk-2103 ac that sega model 2 consoles use. Wondering if it will ruin the console. I use a new retrogamecave adapter for my Sega va4 and wonder if it will be alright to use with the majesco.  I also stumbled upon the fact that the Retro-bit composite/stereo cables I have do not output true stereo. The wiring is mixed up. I had to order some new cables from a shop based in England after finding a recommended cable on a forum. Going to have to wait 2-3 weeks to get them in the mail and see if they work. I find it bewildering that this revision was still bundled with rf when it came out. I was searching for official model 2 composite cables with stereo and they are rare.

All Majesco MK-1451 consoles shipped with the MK-1479 power supply. Resellers over the years have been pairing them with MK-2103 power supplies without knowing better. The good news is, there is nothing wrong with using an MK-2103 power supply with a Majesco console, so fear not. I am not a fan of using aftermarket power supplies, but I can't speak to whether or not the retrogamecave adapter is a good one or not. 

Sorry to hear about your composite cables having some wiring issues. That's a bummer. Surprised you had to order from England for a replacement, though. With coronavirus delaying international shipments, it could take several months for you to get the package, sadly. 

The Majesco MK-1451 was NOT bundled with an RF unit. It shipped with a mono composite AV cable (yellow & white cables). Of course, Sega also made a stereo composite AV cable but you're right, the official cable is hard to find these days. 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, Sharpie said:

I don't know a lot about the US Genesis despite growing up with one, but from what I understand, the Majesco Genesis 2 is not a very good version of the system since it was apparently poorly designed or something.

The official Sega cables for the Genesis 2 are fairly difficult to find, though, and I know that's true because I've looked for them myself after I read elsewhere that they are difficult to find. Honestly, I'd just use HD Retrovision instead if you have YPbPr inputs. Cable is considerably more expensive than the OEM cable, but it's definitely worth it and you can get the adaptors for it to use it for other systems, which makes it quite useful.

59 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I don't know a lot about the US Genesis despite growing up with one, but from what I understand, the Majesco Genesis 2 is not a very good version of the system since it was apparently poorly designed or something.

I think you're confusing the Majesco Genesis 2 with the Majesco Genesis 3. The Majesco Genesis 2 is nearly identical to all other Genesis 2s to the untrained eye, but it actually contains the best audio and video encoders of any Genesis 2 (just like the Sega-made VA4 revision made just before the Majescos). So yeah, it's highly sought after. The Genesis 3 (also made by Majesco) is trash. That must be what you're thinking of.