IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

Those things had quite a range! I had one hooked up to my Atari 800 and a term program where I assigned the joystick movement print a character. I would walk like five steps and hit the controller. I estimated counting the characters that I made it clear out to the second row of parking in front of my apartment before the signal got too weak.

Anyway, so how about wireless Paddles for the Flashback at some point?

Actually they do include wired Paddle controllers in some of the packages and you can also order them online. You can even use original Atari 2600 Paddle controllers, which happen to be compatible. As for wireless not sure they'll get around to it. Cool idea though. Perhaps doctorclu should consider taking some of those ideas to a development company ;) .

Sadly, that's unlikely to ever change. In fact, there's a new major third party game we're adding this year that fortunately doesn't need a non-Atari 2600 version, but does need its music stripped and replaced with something else. It's amazing that a 35 year old game can lose its rights to its legendary music, but I guess it's not too surprising that copyright gotchas are starting to crop up considering how things are these days.

It is somewhat sad that the original Atari home port version of Space Invaders may not be seen soon if ever. Of course I kind of look at it the same way I would compare and contrast a home port of an arcade version. It's like apples and oranges. Sure there are differences but it's mostly in graphics and sound effects if I'm not mistaken. The game play mechanics are faithful to the original, same basic layout. The depiction of the alien invaders is perhaps not as good but still decent enough. I look at it as though perhaps it may not be as good as either the original home port version or the arcade version but you still get to play a version of the game for free after the costs you paid to buy it, as often as you like. Without paying any quarters. So sure it has some trade offs but in my view it's better than not having any version of this great game to play.

Well, the good news is that AtGames only does stuff above board, so it's always only with full permission from the license holders. Save for a few big-name holdouts, most are quite receptive to getting their brands out there. 2016 is shaping up to be more or less the usual partners with only a handful of new additions, but that should definitely expand in 2017 if things hold.

While in discussions with some of these license holders it's clear they're aware of the homebrew scene, I have no reason to believe that anyone we spoke with has any interest in cracking down on anyone. Honestly, I think the most aggressive of those companies is probably Nintendo, but that's not exactly a surprise and they don't work with anyone in this space anyway.

Bill If I may say since the parent companies for these consoles still exist in some form or another these days I'm sure they might like to work out licensing deals and get royalties. So may not care that much. Patent, Licensing, trademark, etc. types of issues always come up with big names. Still I am an optimist on this if not much else and personally would like to believe that perhaps at some point we may see updates for all of the original consoles where their complete original libraries from their original lifespans can all be found on board. Perhaps some of them in somewhat modified versions. Even if it's unlikely or far off at this point I certainly believe it may well happen sometime from now. After all we are talking about some pretty old yet still totally awesome stuff here. I have no doubt the convincing to arrange it could be done. Even if it's years away. I'll keep my fingers crossed so long as you keep feeding us tidbits of things to come as you are able to. :cool:

It is somewhat sad that the original Atari home port version of Space Invaders may not be seen soon if ever.

The VCS version was what I first played back in the day. In many respects this port is a better version than the arcade. Too bad others won't be able to have that same experience.

• Like 4

Yeah, i had almost no issues with the wireless controllers so i'm cool with those. I didn't use them much anyway, bought a microswitched 2600 joystick off the internet and just plugged it in, and i have used a 9-pin Competition Pro with it too.

2600 joysticks, or any other compatible 9-pin joystick of preference can be bought for small sums by people who want to "step it up a level" anyway, and we who already stepped up that level usually have joysticks littering every single nook and cranny in the house anyway so we should make it ;).

I completely agree with Raticon on the point about compatibility of controllers. I have heard quite a bit and I believe also read that the 2600 versions of the flashback consoles are generally compatible with any original first party controllers and most third party controllers. To me it somewhat helps illustrate the fact of how closely AtGames has managed to get them to the original consoles both in design and software capabilities. Their own included controllers, (at least the wired versions), I can't tell much of a difference in from the originals except that they seem to be a bit lighter. Besides these I have personally used both an original set of paddle controllers and a racing controller. They work just fine. It's another cool feature which seems to make these little flashback consoles so enjoyable.

The VCS version was what I first played back in the day. In many respects this port is a better version than the arcade. Too bad others won't be able to have that same experience.

I greatly agree with the sentiment Keatah. I also played the original version on my step brother's original console back in the 1990s. I do miss it. Of course my earlier post's point was mostly that a decent version is better than no version at all. The original will be missed unless they ever do get around to re-releasing it.

Edited by Guest

Bill,

Will @Games be making not a new version but more new/old ColecoVision for this Christmas?

No. The only new production for 2016 related to Flashback-style hardware (there will be other stuff, which may be revealed soon) are two Atari items and two Sega items. Any remaining Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks in the retail chain will just be leftover inventory.

I must say that I find myself in this thread every day... just to make sure I haven't missed a post. :D

So far, I have pre-ordered most of the Flashback units with total disregard to owning multiple instances of original hardware for Atari, Coleco, IntelliVision, and Sega consoles.

Trying not to be hyped for the Mystery Atari Product, just in case it isn't something of interest to me. Either way, I will almost certainly pre-order the new versions of the other three units if they are similar to their predecessors. Don't want to break tradition. :D

"I'll be back..." :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

I was hoping for Intellivision II flashback with the same great controllers, wired correctly for original systems!

Also fixing the sound bug(s)

This would be retro reversal.... The Intellivision II introduced a sound bug and the Controllers sucked! Right a Wrong ATGAMES... LOL

IMHO, the Atari FlashBack came into itself with FB5. Up until that point I could not stand the bloody things -- seriously, lacking a noise channel (very much evident in Missile Command) is an inexcusable offense. I got rid of all of my old FBs. I only kept the original 10-in-1 joystick because it was the first, not because I think it is any good.

The wireless controllers in the Atari FB are very cool, but also very easy to cover up by accident. I would like to see a design which fixes this, but definitely not a show-stopper for me.

The Sega Genesis units? Uh, well, I uh, well, love and hate them. Neither the handheld nor the console can handle Skitchin', by far my favorite Genesis game. But other than that, I think if you do not have the real thing they will do until you can grab one from the local retro shop for $30 or so, along with a few games for a couple bucks each.

The ColecoVision FBs are fun, but I do not have enough experience with the real things to give a good perspective. Until I can put my system together this makes a good surrogate. When I bought mine I picked up some extras that I am now trying to unload. Not because they are horrible but because I figure they could be put to good use. I wanted to give them as gifts, but the people for whom I had them ear-marked were more interested in the Sega and Atari stuff.

So, all that said, I will certainly be checking out the new Atari units but I will be skipping the Sega Genesis devices.

EDIT: In retrospect, I actually think the FB3 and FB4 were okay, but the FB5 is were I really fell in love and was willing again to plonk down my hard-earned dosh.

The controllers for the Coleco and Intv units were very disappointing. I know you can adapt the Intv ones, but that isn't REALLY good enough. I'll probably only buy these things ever again (at full retail) if they offer something like a true compatible controller. I'll still pay attention to their announcement though . . .

I saw that The Company Formerly Known As Infogrames was able to acquire the rights to games owned by third parties, like Jungle Hunt and Space Invaders, so why can't they acquire the rights to Pole Position? That's what I'm waiting for. Otherwise, TCFKAI can forget about getting any of my money anytime soon!

I saw that The Company Formerly Known As Infogrames was able to acquire the rights to games owned by third parties, like Jungle Hunt and Space Invaders, so why can't they acquire the rights to Pole Position? That's what I'm waiting for. Otherwise, TCFKAI can forget about getting any of my money anytime soon!

Erm, maybe because Taito is not Namco? Namco did a decent plug and play with Pole Position around 2005, it's built with Ms Pac-Man and has a twisting motion on the joystick for steering your car. That game really needs analog control and the 2600 version isn't so hot. Fatal Run is included on recent Flashbacks and I believe is built in the 2600 Pole Position engine, so you're a big fan of VCS PP you might like it.

The controllers for the Coleco and Intv units were very disappointing. I know you can adapt the Intv ones, but that isn't REALLY good enough. I'll probably only buy these things ever again (at full retail) if they offer something like a true compatible controller. I'll still pay attention to their announcement though . . .

There are no plans for new hardware versions of those products, so it's really not a going concern. It was definitely a disappointment that there was that misunderstanding in engineering, but it's unlikely it would have made a difference in sales.

This is not true. Atari only has rights to their stuff. AtGames licenses the third party stuff for use on the product. We're also adding new third parties this year. Also, I understand the frustration with Atari, but we are working with them on additional hardware and software products that may change your mind about them.

How about Sega 32X support?

Not a chance. There will be a nice new feature in this year's Sega products (not related to 32X), but it looks like we'll have to wait until 2017's hardware for the sound and other minor compatibility issues to be fully resolved.

• Like 1

There are no plans for new hardware versions of those products, so it's really not a going concern. It was definitely a disappointment that there was that misunderstanding in engineering, but it's unlikely it would have made a difference in sales.

I'm sure you are right, but they seem to do "ok" selling the paddles and joysticks separately. At least they do "ok" enough to keep selling them on the website. They would be able to sell actual compatible Intv controllers as well. That's at least SOME sales they are losing. Perhaps that is insignificant.

Good to have expectations set correctly anyway - no new revisions; hopes dashed - got it; I'll begin picking up the pieces now.

I actually ordered the extra posters from one of the Flashbacks - anything like that coming, posters or other extras you can tell us about?

IMHO, the Atari FlashBack came into itself with FB5. Up until that point I could not stand the bloody things -- seriously, lacking a noise channel (very much evident in Missile Command) is an inexcusable offense. I got rid of all of my old FBs.

Wait, are you saying that the FB2 (i.e., the one built on the Michele 2600-on-a-chip) lacked a noise channel? I've never heard that before. Can anyone else confirm?

Erm, maybe because Taito is not Namco? Namco did a decent plug and play with Pole Position around 2005, it's built with Ms Pac-Man and has a twisting motion on the joystick for steering your car.

Yeah, I would assume that Namco's properties command a higher licensing fee, maybe much higher, than Taito's, given their broader name recognition. The chances of them doing a collaboration with AtGames seem low. Incidentally, please forgive me as I pick some nits: it wasn't so much Namco doing a plug-n-play as Jakks Pacific doing a Namco-licensed plug-n-play, in 2004. Nits picked! Trophy unlocked?

I'm sure you are right, but they seem to do "ok" selling the paddles and joysticks separately. At least they do "ok" enough to keep selling them on the website. They would be able to sell actual compatible Intv controllers as well. That's at least SOME sales they are losing. Perhaps that is insignificant.

If you're primarily interested in replacement controllers for your original Intellivision hardware, Intellivision Productions has been selling replacement Intellivision Flashback controllers, along with adapter cables for using them with original hardware, at their online store for a few months now. The adapter cables are the same as what nurmix has sold here at AtariAge (the ones INTV Prod. sells are, in fact, made by him). Just make sure you choose the right adapter cable for your particular model, and you'll be set.

AtGames is very unlikely to make and sell original-compatible Intellivision controllers themselves, though. They sell the Atari controllers to support their Atari console systems, which sell well for them--unlike the INTV/CV FB systems.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Good to have expectations set correctly anyway - no new revisions; hopes dashed - got it; I'll begin picking up the pieces now.

I actually ordered the extra posters from one of the Flashbacks - anything like that coming, posters or other extras you can tell us about?

No extras other than some nifty new features in 3 of the 4 hardware products. AtGames is going to have other software and hardware out this year that I also unfortunately can't discuss, but you'll see an interesting new direction from them later this year that will be continued through 2017 and beyond. We're going all-in on dramatically expanding the product offerings on all fronts.

• Like 3