IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

I'm aware of the adapters. I could just make one of those myself. That just isn't good enough, but my expectations have been appropriately set. My dream of buying working Intellivision replacement hand controllers that do not require an adapter will have to hibernate for now.

Also, I didn't exactly have the worst experience ordering from Intellivision Productions (compared to others), but it wasn't great. I'm not anxious to order from them again.

A question for you, Mr. Loguidice: When are this year's offerings expected to hit retail shelves? That's the day when all can be revealed, right?

The usual, in the fall (October-ish). Once Toys R Us (or any other retailer) lists the products, I can reveal the details.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

How close are we getting to the annoucement? I might be wrong on this, but I thought we found out about the upcoming models sometime in June; if the stores are due to get these units in September, I assume we would start to hear something about now. Thanks. I really look forward to the new Flashback.

I think we first heard about the last few rounds via the toys r us website. It would be smart to check there (I just did, they have the Atari 6 on sale for $29.99) or set up a Google alert.

Yes. Once a leak is uncovered I'll be able to answer any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

No. The only new production for 2016 related to Flashback-style hardware (there will be other stuff, which may be revealed soon) are two Atari items and two Sega items. Any remaining Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks in the retail chain will just be leftover inventory.

Two Atari items? Hmm, I keep encouraging myself not to buy an AtGames-Atari product every year... I seem to fail every time... I have an Atari addiction. O_O

• Like 1

Two Atari items? Hmm, I keep encouraging myself not to buy an AtGames-Atari product every year... I seem to fail every time... I have an Atari addiction. O_O

I suspect, at minimum, you'll want the second Atari product. I can't think of much (within reason) I'd want to change about it.

• Like 1

This is all very exciting - I have the Flashback 4 and have been waiting for a really meaningful upgrade in the list of titles before buying another Flashback. (I also have the Intellivision Flashback, so the inclusion of the M-Network titles wasn't a huge selling point for me).

Really looking forward to what comes out in the fall.

FB6 is last year's model. The new one hasn't been announced yet.

Yep. The usual product will retain the number, so it will be 7. It will number a few more games in total over the 6, although I haven't done a direct comparison between the lists. I'll sort all that out after a retailer leaks the packaging.

Yep. The usual product will retain the number, so it will be 7. It will number a few more games in total over the 6, although I haven't done a direct comparison between the lists. I'll sort all that out after a retailer leaks the packaging.

I look forward to the day you can speak openly about the not-usual product. In the meantime, I just made a Google alert for "toys r us Atari flashback 7"

• Like 1

I suspect, at minimum, you'll want the second Atari product. I can't think of much (within reason) I'd want to change about it.

I really can't wait to see what they have in store for us! Unlike AtariDave, I keep wanting to buy an AtGames-Atari product, but so far the Flashbacks 3-6 just haven't been appealing enough to make me actually get it. Glad it sounds like that will change this year!

I really can't wait to see what they have in store for us! Unlike AtariDave, I keep wanting to buy an AtGames-Atari product, but so far the Flashbacks 3-6 just haven't been appealing enough to make me actually get it. Glad it sounds like that will change this year!

Yeah, me, too. I'm very excited.

• 2 weeks later...

It has Frogger as a new licensed game for both the portable and the console version. Though the FB 7 console has 101 games and the FB 6 had 100, so perhaps Frogger is the only new game?

Whatever. I played 2600 Frogger for hours on end in my youth, so it's a welcome addition if this boxart snapshot is true.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I wonder if the extra buttons may be for star raiders?

The extra buttons are probably select, reset, difficulty a/b, and color/bw -- they're only there in those positions because that's how the Sega Genesis portable was configured. This is likely the same hardware. It would be cool if it had the same SD card slot for adding Atari 2600 ROMs. If it could also play Sega Genesis ROMs, that would be extra excellent.

Frogger -- arcade or 2600 version?

I see that the person who posted it is a Dollar Tree store manager. That chain has a long history with selling AtGames stuff.

The extra buttons are probably select, reset, difficulty a/b, and color/bw -- they're only there in those positions because that's how the Sega Genesis portable was configured. This is likely the same hardware. It would be cool if it had the same SD card slot for adding Atari 2600 ROMs. If it could also play Sega Genesis ROMs, that would be extra excellent.

Possibly, but I think I see a row of those buttons along the top. It's hard to tell with the small image we have.

Another thought, if this is a NOAC device, I highly doubt it's got an SD card slot. We should soon get some confirmation or denial on the unit, hopefully.

Edited by Inky

I still need to be careful about what I say at this point, but since that non-final box art has been leaked, I can at least provide SOME clarification to the obvious speculation.

Yes, it's a portable Atari Flashback with SD card support. That means you can add your own Atari 2600 games as long as they don't make use of special chips or other features in the cartridge (e.g., Pitfall II).

No, it's not a NOAC. AtGames never has used a NOAC and never will. It's a new generation of the same proprietary hardware that has appeared in previous Atari Flashback products.

Frogger is just like Space Invaders, i.e., a newly created port that takes advantage of the Flashback hardware and is not Atari 2600 compatible. Like with Space Invaders, it gives you an arcade-like feel, but is not a 1:1 match of the arcade and doesn't play exactly like the arcade (AI is different, etc.).

I'm very happy with the button layout. It recreates all of the functions of the heavy sixer (plus the fire button of the joystick) in a logical layout, plus adds portable-specific features like Pause and Menu buttons. I specifically wanted all of that to maximize game compatibility.

The emulation and screen are quite good. There's also TV out, although like with the Sega product, you have to purchase the cable separately.

Hopefully we get the press release out soon and I can discuss this more.

• Like 12