IGNORED

Your favorite places/ways to farm energy/1ups/XP points/items/etc.!

Hey gang,

What places in classic games had places where you could get energy, 1ups,XP points, etc. that were easy to access or had enemies that you could beat over and over to get what you wanted?

One of my favorites was getting TONS of extra lives from the slot machine in Super Mario Bros. 2, after you pulled up coins in subspace. It was really easy to at least learn the timing of the first window so you could get at least a single 1up with each spin (land on a cherry).

In Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness there is a spot in the Infinite Corridor where you can beat a ton of Blaze Phantoms and really rack up the XP (for yourself and your innocent devils). They tend to cause the least damage if you face a corner and keep swinging your weapon about. The enemies keep appearing from that corner and get nailed by your swings.

I would get lot enough 1ups to make Castlevania easier by killing multiple ghosts on the first level with one holy water repeatedly (the score would multiply with each successive kill with the same holy water), and just keep doing it till I ran out of time (died), and do it again. The rising score eventually nets you 1ups.

I liked getting health-upping items (sushi and tea) and XP points from using the Duplicator and Power of Sire over and over again on the Dark Octopuses (Octopi?) in the inverted castle in Castlevania: SOTN. Use it, watch it kill them all, then jump up, reappear in the room, and do it again.

Where did YOU like to farm these helpful energy items/XP/1ups/points, etc.?

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros 2 (The Lost Levels) for the Famicom Disk System. In World 1-1 right when you start the game there is a red koopa pacing back and forth on a brick ledge. Hit him from underneath and hit the second brick to the last on the left side and you will get a mushroom pop it over the block to collect it and bash the second to last brick on the right and make sure the koopa is on the far right. Time it right and you will farm a bunch of points and getting extra lives in the process.

Also in Super Mario Bros. 2. As you know you get two oppurtunities in sub space to collect coins as the third time the grass becomes vegetables. Find a spot in subspace where there is a bunch of grass near a pit. Collect as much as you can before the timer is up before going back to the overworld and fall in a hole. It will not count as a complete subspace visit when you die. And you can endlessly do so and get a ton of coins for the bonus chance at the end of a stage.

• Like 1

Both NES "Ninja Gaiden" and "Ninja Gaiden 3" have 1up loops where you can farm extra lives. The 1up loop in "Ninja Gaiden" is in act 5-3, and they're in 6-2 and 7-2 in "Ninja Gaiden III." These are quite helpful when you're first trying to beat these games.

In NES "Batman" there are those things on the ceiling that keep dropping enemies at you. You can always exploit them for more ammo and health. One of the biggest rookie mistakes in this game is not knowing how to benefit from the ceiling droppers and instead either trying to kill them or getting killed by them.

• Like 1

When facing the "Eyeball" boss in THE GUARDIAN LEGEND, he shoots flying eyeballs at you. If you have the "EE" smart bombs, you can blast all the eyes with each EE and they'll often turn into energy refill items and EE increasers. This made beating the boss so much easier!

When facing the "Eyeball" boss in THE GUARDIAN LEGEND, he shoots flying eyeballs at you. If you have the "EE" smart bombs, you can blast all the eyes with each EE and they'll often turn into energy refill items and EE increasers. This made beating the boss so much easier!

You could also blast those eyeballs with a fireball (provided that you upgraded it enough first).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: any entrance that had pizza, you would leave and re-enter to keep grabbing the re-spawned pizza. You could also farm weapons (the scrolls on level 3).

Metal Gear: you could farm rations by using your transceiver and causing them to re-spawn.

I used to farm 1ups in MEGA MAN 2. In the areas where a bird would fly by and drop an egg which would release several tiny birds that would fly at you, I'd put on the Leaf Shield, and just sit there until the little birds would end up crashing into it, giving me extra lives (which wouldn't normally take terribly long).

In The Legendary Axe's third stage (where it's like in the mountains, blue background, yellow/orange platforms to jump across...), there is a section where it's like a cave section with several statues to break for gems/points and then an extra man at the end. I go through, get the gems, get the extra man, jump back to the beginning of the cave and die. I respawn just above the entrance, drop down, and repeat. The extra man each time keeps me from losing a man, and the points from the gems add up for extra extra men.

In Metroid for the NES, after a death or boss or whatever, I like to find one of those sections where the flying baddies continuously spawn from the pipes and just keep killing them for missiles and health.

I've mentioned it before, but in Blazing Lazers on the level that looks like you're flying through an intestine or something with all the "brain" enemies, there is a mid boss that continuously spawns eyeballs that home in on your position. If you have the IV type weapon with the metal spheres that circle your ship, you can just kind of sit at the bottom of the screen and let the eyeballs slowly creep down toward you, die on the rotating spheres, give you points toward an extra man, and then they respawn and do it all again. If the weapon is powered up enough and the positioning is right, you can just turn off the tv and walk away to come back later to lots of extra ships.

I'll probably think of more later.

I used to get 2UPs in Revenge Of Shinobi's foundry level, right at the edge of the first conveyor belt (hidden until you hit it with a shuriken). I'd collect it, fall of the belt and die. Repeat until you have all the lives you could possibly need.

I loved blasting the egg-things in Mega Man 3 that had those worm-things inside. Keep blasting and blasting them and they'd eventually yield 1ups.

I used to get 2UPs in Revenge Of Shinobi's foundry level, right at the edge of the first conveyor belt (hidden until you hit it with a shuriken). I'd collect it, fall of the belt and die. Repeat until you have all the lives you could possibly need.

I loved blasting the egg-things in Mega Man 3 that had those worm-things inside. Keep blasting and blasting them and they'd eventually yield 1ups.

I recall RoS being _very_ generous with the 1ups which helped ease the difficulty in beating it. Same with "Shadow Dancer" and "Shinobi III."

• Like 1

You need all those extra lives for the final boss. Oh god, that final boss.

I hated the jumping ninjas more than anything else in that game. They were the reason he was tough! (other than having to throw your stars oh-so-precisely to register a hit) I hated when a TON of the jumping ninjas would appear at once. You had to learn when to save your ninja magic to take out the most of them.

Another way to farm 1ups in SMB3 was at the areas where Goombas would keep coming out of the pipes. You could use the Pwing to hop on a Goomba, float down, and hop on another Goomba, over and over and eventually start collecting 1ups. And of course there was also the last level with the room full of blocks you could convert to coins. You could collect a handful of 1ups before time would run out, and you just repeat.

I hated the jumping ninjas more than anything else in that game. They were the reason he was tough! (other than having to throw your stars oh-so-precisely to register a hit) I hated when a TON of the jumping ninjas would appear at once. You had to learn when to save your ninja magic to take out the most of them.

Another way to farm 1ups in SMB3 was at the areas where Goombas would keep coming out of the pipes. You could use the Pwing to hop on a Goomba, float down, and hop on another Goomba, over and over and eventually start collecting 1ups. And of course there was also the last level with the room full of blocks you could convert to coins. You could collect a handful of 1ups before time would run out, and you just repeat.

Actually... NO. You can keep jumping on the goombas on level 1-2 to get the 1-UPs, BUT you CANNOT use the P-wing. You can use the leaf, yes, but not the P-wing itself. The P-wing does not let the points increase; ergo, no 1-UP. The reason the P-wing trick I discussed on level 3-9 works is because you are not the one that's actually jumping on the bullets; you're watching the koopa shell hit the bullets and increase the points.

Actually... NO. You can keep jumping on the goombas on level 1-2 to get the 1-UPs, BUT you CANNOT use the P-wing. You can use the leaf, yes, but not the P-wing itself. The P-wing does not let the points increase; ergo, no 1-UP. The reason the P-wing trick I discussed on level 3-9 works is because you are not the one that's actually jumping on the bullets; you're watching the koopa shell hit the bullets and increase the points.

Well, I guess it was the leaf I was thinking of. I never really got into SMB3 for some reason. I was always partial to SMB2.