IGNORED

Compatible SD / CF media for Ultimate cart, Incognito & SIDE

Kyle22

When you guys say that, what, exactly are you referring to?

I've used a lot of different SD cards in a lot of different applications, and I've never had any issues with durability. Of course, I still with known quality brands like SanDisk, but I've never had any issues whatsoever in tablets, cameras, the one in my Ultimate Cart.

Multi-year experience with Canon EOS-1 series and CF / SD cards.

SD cards are notoriously prone to losing their read / write tab , and the insertion / contact-pin guides on the back peel off and break... and I have not used ANYTHING other than SanDisk. As a matter of fact, I have an SD Extreme III card that I regularly use on my NUXX Sdrive and it suffers from ALL of the above (!)

OK, it sounds like maybe you're talking about cards that get removed and inserted quite a bit, where mine rarely get removed. That culd explain why I've never seen any of the issues you describe, where I may have seen them had I used my cards differently.

Thanks for clarifying.

• 6 months later...

So what's the final verdict on this?  Which CF cards are and aren't compatible with the Incognito?  Do I have to stick to older lower capacity cards or can I use an 8GB Ultra if I find one cheap?  Right now I'm using an old 32MB Kodak CF card I had laying around and while it works, I need more space.  Realistically I think a 512MB card will hold just about every disk image out there.

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

So what's the final verdict on this?  Which CF cards are and aren't compatible with the Incognito?  Do I have to stick to older lower capacity cards or can I use an 8GB Ultra if I find one cheap?  Right now I'm using an old 32MB Kodak CF card I had laying around and while it works, I need more space.  Realistically I think a 512MB card will hold just about every disk image out there.

I’ve got a 16GB Sandisk Ultra in my Incognito (purchased from Amazon a couple weeks ago). The same model card works in my 1088XEL and XLD units as well but does NOT work in my SIDE2 cart. 

4 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Realistically I think a 512MB card will hold just about every disk image out there.

The archive at atarionline.pl is about 900MB long, but it includes XEX files and many different revisions of the same titles. Still: it's handy to just be able to copy the whole lot across to a FAT partition.

SanDisk cards are recommended: nothing has really changed there, but there is no guarantee that a newer, high-capacity card will work unless someone has already bought one and tried it. I use a pair of SanDisk Ultra 4GB CF cards:

s-l640.jpg.6c347ebb9233cd49763a1bbf522c4679.jpg

They are totally bulletproof in every device tested (SIDE, Incognito, IDE Plus, etc). I have some older 512MB SanDisk cards as well (blue and red label) which work well too.

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

So it's really just a crap shoot then?

No, not if you take notice of buying advice provided by users who have already purchased something known to work.