IGNORED

WTB: Atari 400 (clean, stock)

Smokeless Joe

Short story:

I would very much like to get a clean, stock Atari 400. Please send pictures and your asking price.

Long story:

I told this same story when looking for keyboard upgrades, but I think it's applicable to this post too.

The Atari 400 was my very first computer. I got it for Christmas, probably around 1981. It provided much entertainment and education, but I was always frustrated by its limitations, namely, 16K RAM and the membrane keyboard. I cursed these limitations until around 1985 when I got an 800XL on clearance at Sears. I never looked back at the 400 and have no idea what happened to it. My parents probably threw it away, or at best, gave it to Goodwill.

Of course, now I am looking back. I'm both nostalgic for my first computer and guilty for how I cursed and forgot it.

My goal: To get a 400 and really treat it right; to trick it out and give it the love and attention it deserves. I have a 48k upgrade on order from Best Electronics. I scored an unused 1st generation 410 a few months ago. I'm in the process of restoring an 810 that's ugly but mechanically won't quit. I got a spare one of Bryan's wonderful UAV upgrades. I've successfully assembled a TransKey-II for those times when the membrane keyboard won't cut it. If a 400 Incognito ever comes out I'll snap one up.

I mostly want it to be clean and working. I'd prefer to do the upgrades myself. This 400 will be in a loving home!

Thanks!

-Joe

I have one for $99.99 with free US shipping. It is tested and working. Comes with power supply and basic cartridge. It is clean and the case is in good shape. I will try to get some picts up today for you if you are interested.

PM sent! I'd very much like to see some pictures of the system.