IGNORED

Best "Retro-Style" Games

Over the past few years, indie developers have paid homage to classic games through their own games. So pixelated graphics, old-school chiptunes, two-dimensional levels and ideas that were popular decades ago are back and I couldn't be happier. The problem is that keeping up with all of these releases is remarkably difficult, so I tried to make a comprehensive list with some of the best ones. Some of them include Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami, Fez, FTL, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Braid, To the Moon, Mega Man 9 and Mercenary Kings (there are more in the links below, but these are my favorite.) Which one do you like the most? And what do you consider to be a retro-style game or indie game that retro fans should absolutely play?

Top 10: Retro-Style PC Games (Part I) - Top 10 – Best Retro-Style Games (Part II)

post-45416-0-76725100-1459374048_thumb.jpg

"Some of them include Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami, Fez, FTL, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Braid, To the Moon, Mega Man 9 and Mercenary Kings"

This is a very nice list.

A couple games I'd recommend are:

Oniken. A game with influences from ninja gaiden, strider etc.. Very hard, a bit unpolished, but very good and with a very authentic NES vibe.

the AVGN adventures is Retro, but not very convincing in it's attempt to emulate an NES look. Still gameplay is well made, and I like the game,

The original Cave Story is a no brainer. It's shareware and will run on any modern PC. For free you really can't ask for more.

MURI is a Retro game that goes for the oldschool Computer visuals and Sound. Inspired by oldschool Computer platformers like Duke Nukem. It is very good.

The list goes on and on of course, but These are some I played and can remember right now.

"Some of them include Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami, Fez, FTL, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Braid, To the Moon, Mega Man 9 and Mercenary Kings"

This is a very nice list.

I'm glad you liked the list. From now on, whenever I share an article I'll include some form of list for those who don't like clicking on links.

As for Oniken, I played it for the purposes of review back when it came out and I wasn't as impressed as other people. I liked its audiovisual style, but the gameplay was too harsh for my taste.

I'm glad you liked the list. From now on, whenever I share an article I'll include some form of list for those who don't like clicking on links.

As for Oniken, I played it for the purposes of review back when it came out and I wasn't as impressed as other people. I liked its audiovisual style, but the gameplay was too harsh for my taste.

Oniken really feels like an NES game, even in the unforgiving nature of it's gameplay. It is one of those you should memorize and Play very prcisely through. The only Features that makes it a bit easier than original NES titles is the fact it saves yur Progress and you can start at advanced Levels.

That said, Oniken got an update and they tweaked the dificulty a bit. If you never played the updated Version it might be worth another look. As far as I remember People who have it on steam get the new update for free. hmm.. ort is it that the stem Version is the updated one from the start?

Ever played Odallus? It's from the same guy, but odallus is not as unforgiving. Didin's seem as polished though. It's a metroidvania style game.

Oniken really feels like an NES game, even in the unforgiving nature of it's gameplay. It is one of those you should memorize and Play very prcisely through. The only Features that makes it a bit easier than original NES titles is the fact it saves yur Progress and you can start at advanced Levels.

That said, Oniken got an update and they tweaked the dificulty a bit. If you never played the updated Version it might be worth another look. As far as I remember People who have it on steam get the new update for free. hmm.. ort is it that the stem Version is the updated one from the start?

Ever played Odallus? It's from the same guy, but odallus is not as unforgiving. Didin's seem as polished though. It's a metroidvania style game.

I have never heard of Odallus. I must admit I have a soft spot for metroidvania-style games, so I should definitely check it out at some point.

As for Oniken, I played the game before it even came out because I was reviewing it and I think it was a pre-release version, so I don't think I have it on Steam. In other words, I definitely didn't play the patched version.