IGNORED

Need help! Game plays, but scrolls vertically

Codester78

So I went and picked up Jungle Hunt for my atari 2600 today at half price books. When I start the game, the screen is in black and white, then changes back to color when I start playing. The screen moves vertically up slowly for some reason. Weird right? Even more strange is if I let the guy swing on the vines (not pressing any buttons), it will go black and white, and if i make him jump to the next vine, it will go back into full color. The cartridge itself fells more flimsy than my other 2600 carts. I cleaned all the gunk off the contacts and that hasn't seemed to fix anything. I'm open to suggestions at this point, and thanks for any help you can give!

Is there any way to tell if an atari cart is pal vs ntsc?

If its a silver label variation by either a "P" on the end label after the game title, or a "P" sticker underneath the cart.

If its a red label variation by either a "P" after the serial number on the main label, or a "P" sticker underneath the cart.

Hope that helps :-D

If its a silver label variation by either a "P" on the end label after the game title, or a "P" sticker underneath the cart.

If its a red label variation by either a "P" after the serial number on the main label, or a "P" sticker underneath the cart.

Hope that helps :-D

Huh, that's interesting, because there is no letter p on the end label (this particular cart is the silver variation), or p sticker on the back.

Not all PAL carts had the "p" on the end label. Even if they did , it didn't always mean they were PAL either.

Even if there is no "P" on the end label, there usually is somewhere on the cart (whether that be on the main label or underneath it) The "P" sticker on the bottom of the cart usually falls off (sometimes you can see the outline of it still on the cart) although Ive never had a "P" labelled cart that wasn't PAL :?

Well, I just bought another one off ebay (tested and cleaned of course). Usually I would have tried to fix the issue, but this time around, if it wasn't PAL, it was really broken, sadly. But, my 3 dollars won't go to waste! I'm putting all my atari doubles (this being one of them now) on top of my door frame (surprisingly, they stay up there really well). I'll post a picture later. Thanks for all the help!

Glad your problem got fixed. I was actually going to ask you what type of TV you had. I had a problem with a Starmaster cart, rolling slowly but playing otherwise. Turned out to be a problem of incompatibility with my plasma TV. Getting a CRT fixed the problem right away. Happy gaming!

So I got another copy of Jungle Hunt off ebay today, from a U.S seller, apparently tested and worked. Went and plugged it into my Atari, and both copies have the same problem! That is pretty interesting. I really doubt at this point these are both PAL carts. I have a video of what is going on with the games, but I am "Not Permitted to Attach this Type of File". Any way to get around this? Thanks for the help guys!