IGNORED

Will Mag!X run on Apple G4 Cube OSX

First of all, Mag!X was renamed to MagiC after v2 and it continued development until v6.2, so that's the most current version. To run that, you'd need a ST emulator capable of handling this - I have no idea what emulators run on PPC which is what your mac has.

You should be able to run MagicMac without problems on your mac (at least according to the kind soul that wrote about MagiC on Wikipedia). The only problem is that I'm not sure if application systems still sells any flavor of MagiC, I suppose you'd have to get into touch with them?

Bear in mind though, MagiC is mostly about running "properly written GEM applications" (and that's more true with magicpc and magicmac). I've seen a magicpc install once, it can use the host machine's network and access the internet and take advantage of higher resolutions and all, but that was about it more or less.If that's your thing then definitely go for it!

For some reason that seems backwards to me from what I have seen. Magic, version 6.2, was the last OS 9 version they made. Mag!X was created for OS X, that came after OS 9 as we know. It was supposed to be Magic for OS X Macs. Although maybe it is called Magic Mac X and not Mag!X as I wrote down. LOL.

It does get a tad confusing.

Heidelberg website shows Magic Mac X so maybe that is it. hehe

http://www.application-systems.de/magicmacx/download.html

TJ

First of all, Mag!X was renamed to MagiC after v2 and it continued development until v6.2, so that's the most current version. To run that, you'd need a ST emulator capable of handling this - I have no idea what emulators run on PPC which is what your mac has.

You should be able to run MagicMac without problems on your mac (at least according to the kind soul that wrote about MagiC on Wikipedia). The only problem is that I'm not sure if application systems still sells any flavor of MagiC, I suppose you'd have to get into touch with them?

Bear in mind though, MagiC is mostly about running "properly written GEM applications" (and that's more true with magicpc and magicmac). I've seen a magicpc install once, it can use the host machine's network and access the internet and take advantage of higher resolutions and all, but that was about it more or less.If that's your thing then definitely go for it!

Edited by macsociety

For some reason that seems backwards to me from what I have seen. Magic, version 6.2, was the last OS 9 version they made. Mag!X was created for OS X, that came after OS 9 as we know. It was supposed to be Magic for OS X Macs. Although maybe it is called Magic Mac X and not Mag!X as I wrote down. LOL.

No, you are just confused. They didn't "make" MagiC for OS 9. MagiC Mac is the version that runs on Mac OS Classic, while MagiC Mac X is the one for OS X. The former uses the 68k emulation provided by the OS (if it's not a 68k Mac), while MMX includes a 68k emulator. Mag!X is the previous name of MagiC, the name was changed sometime after ASH became the distributor.

MagiC Mac X should work fine on a G4 Cube with OS X 10.4.

Cool. Saw a Mag!X on eBay and it threw me off. Must be a real old copy then.

Will have to find Magic Mac X then on eBay or see if Heidelberg still sells it.

I used Magic Mac in the day (1990s) on a Apple PowerBook Duo 280C but was a LONG time ago. Lost track of it. Don't remember the name Mag!X back then so it seemed newer to me for some reason. I remember Magic for Atari, Magic Mac for 68K macs. But I left Atari and Magic long before OS X came out so guess I saw the X in Mag!X and thought, OS X version. LOL.

Thanks

TJ

No, you are just confused. They didn't "make" MagiC for OS 9. MagiC Mac is the version that runs on Mac OS Classic, while MagiC Mac X is the one for OS X. The former uses the 68k emulation provided by the OS (if it's not a 68k Mac), while MMX includes a 68k emulator. Mag!X is the previous name of MagiC, the name was changed sometime after ASH became the distributor.

MagiC Mac X should work fine on a G4 Cube with OS X 10.4.

Edited by macsociety