IGNORED

Counterfeit gameboy color?

I have a question for you folks, have you ever heard of counterfeit gameboy color? I recently bought a second gameboy color on eBay from a seller in Hong Kong. On the surface it look like the real one, but when I turn it on the colors are wrong, washed out and muted. Taking a closer look at it the information sticker on the back, the text is off, it's thicker. Ironically the authentic one says "made in china", while the one that might be counterfeit says "made in japan." The other possibility that come to mind is perhaps the screen is just worn out, is that possible? In the pictures I attached the authentic one is Pink, I used donkey kong country as an example.

post-46121-0-17271300-1459618001_thumb.jpg

post-46121-0-76510500-1459618032_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A so high level of perfection for the GBC, when there are so many other clones around, sound a bit bizarre.

My guess is that the Japanese model is an earlier production run, with a poorer LCD, and the Chinese one is a later release, with a slightly better LCD, but made in China to save on costs for an ageing model.

If the screen only feel washed out, it's probably an older model

GBC clones usually have better screens, but with the wrong aspect ratio, pixel count. Sound is usually not excellent, and the CPU speed is marginally off. If you have two copies of the same game and that you make them run side to side, and if after two minutes, the in game counters (like for Super MArio with timers) the timers aren't off, then it's a real console. IMO.

If the blue one is a clone, it is the best looking clone I have ever seen. I am inclined to think that it is a real GBC. Look at this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Color-Turquoise-Handheld-Japan-USED-/272177858373?hash=item3f5f108745:g:uCYAAOSwMORW7WcL

There is a well-known clone called the GB BOY COLOUR, but that has obvious physical differences from a real Game Boy Color.

If you want to know for sure just open it up and take a peak at the motherboard inside to see if it's an authentic Nintendo one. It's very easy to do with nothing more than a tri-wing screwdriver and you can find a guide for how to open it up here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Game+Boy+Color+Back+Housing+Replacement/12649

If I had to venture a guess based on the information provided I'd say it's most likely an authentic system that just had it's screen replaced with a lower quality aftermarket screen somewhere along the line. Again though, it should be fairly easy to open it up and determine it's authenticity. :)

I did a the timer test with super Mario bros deluxe and indeed the timer remained synced on both units, I almost wonder if I could replace the lcd? I'm not sure were I could find a official lcd, aside from buying nonfunctional systems from eBay and salvaging their displays until I find one that works.

Edited by kilerbee256

I can see one cart that said Ever, is that the Everdrive? I did read that Everdrive cart draw more power than tranditional cartridge. I wasn't sure if the other Gameboy Color have the actual Donkey Kong Country cartridge in it or not. Swap cartridge and retest. Maybe the Everdrive powerdraw is dimming the screen a bit. I think you can open it up and I think there should be a POT inside to adjust the screen.

Edited by Kiwi

Yep, the GB Everdrive is know to draw more power, but enough to reduce contrast? I kinda doubt it. Also, the second cart looks like another Everdrive GB as well, except with a blank sticker (or maybe an older version); same PCB layout, same SD cart port, same shell with "Game" written on it.

Edited by CatPix

They are both everdrives, I ordered one of from a US website that makes it's own label. I bought two of them so I can play link cable games with my girl friend.Yeah the everdrives draw a lot more power, with heavy usage my 1989 gameboy lasts a month and a half and the gameboy color 2 weeks. I did have another thought, perhaps the screen cover is discolored with age. I found that when I replaced the screen cover on the 1989 gameboy, I'll know soon as I've ordered a replacement since the one on the green GBC is heavy scratched

Edited by kilerbee256

Jin you were dead on, While I was replacing the screen cover I saw scratches on the LCD itself, so it has been replaced and not very well as they managed to damage it in the process! I bid on a junked gbc on ebay, if I win it hopefully the LCD is still functional.

Edited by kilerbee256
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the early first run Purple units and a later clear purple one. The first run model is "Made in Japan." The later one is "made in China." Both screens are identical in color and quality. What you are seeing is the point in which all Nintendo handhelds began being manufactured in China. GBSP, DS, 3DS, were and are, all built in China.